An Old School Catholic Message Board

Together Encounter Christ...

Catholictothecore

Catholictothecore

HAHA, thanks hot stuff. My 4th day is 2 years old and going strong. Hey! Totus Tuus was actually my table name this weekend! It was either that, or "Lord Help Us." I think we choose wisely.

What TEC are you (speaking in general) affiliated with?

Theoketos

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 2 2005, 09:24 PM'] If you are calling God your best friend, then maybe there is something that isn't totally correct here. For one He is God. He is Perfect. He is not your best friend. He is your greatest Friend, but not your best friend, at least not in the context of homeboy. That view of Christ is very Protestant and consequently, very wrong.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
Dude you need to chill with some extra charity. :)

And philosophically speaking, best is equivocal to greatest.

To the Father through the Son by the Holy Spirit one in the same.

Edited by Theoketos

littleflower+JMJ

theres a variations of the TEC retreat.

the real one that is national is for older folks (college and older i think) and is more mature.

then there are some that are geared towards teens and young adults that are still the same outline and focus as the real retreat just well different talks, etc.

the retreat that we have down here is actually called TECC. Teens Encounter Church and Christ (or is it Christ and Church..i forget lol) but its still based on the 3 day pascal mystery of Christ...

I really enjoyed it--its really good for those who might be lukewarm and/or fallen away in the faith....it does a good job bringing you back.

i have attended the SEARCH retreat before. it was after I had went to and staffed the TEC retreats. I really liked it but I could clearly see the difference in both......the TEC is really more for rekindling or kindling one's faith in Christ while the SEARCH is more geared to vocations and following Christ...

i think one should attended..check it out first, talk with the staff members or ask those around who have already attended. retreats vary with the ppl who run them so its always good to look into.....i think no matter what, every retreat will make you a better person because we all need that spiritually no matter where we are in the faith.....

pax

Thy Geekdom Come

Theoketos is correct. God is our best friend. He calls Himself our Friend, and by definition, a friend is one who watches out for our best interests. Who else besides God could be our best friend?

I see nothing wrong with calling Jesus homeboy. It is done in innocent love, not a mark of gang activity. Jesus smiles at it.

Catholictothecore

this thead is about TEC, or more accurately, Christ revealed through TEC. But, he is right. Many of the saint described Christ as the great lover of their souls. He is supposed to be the love of our life, beyond any other human, even spouses.

Btw, I'm in Spirit Valley TEC, and the numbers I've done are #'s 94, 95, 96, 97.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='hot stuff' date='May 2 2005, 09:25 PM'] Hey CatholictotheCore

I hope your fourth day is going well!! (wink wink nudge nudge) [/quote]
now im thinking of the cursillo LOL which is another retreat :lol:

but yes, i gotta echo hot stuff.....hope your fourth day is going great! :dance: :banana: :clapping:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='May 2 2005, 10:32 PM'] this thead is about TEC, or more accurately, Christ revealed through TEC. But, he is right. Many of the saint described Christ as the great lover of their souls. He is supposed to be the love of our life, beyond any other human, even spouses.

Btw, I'm in Spirit Valley TEC, and the numbers I've done are #'s 94, 95, 96, 97. [/quote]
Oh yeah, forgot my numbers. I'm UNL Newman Center Koinonia numbers 8 and 9.

Catholictothecore

Oh gosh! On this past weekend, a very lovely elderly lady was back for the first time in decades...he last weekend had been Spirit Valley TEC #9! And I've done the past four in the mid-90's! Just talking with her was awesome!

Our God is ssssoooo awesome, and the one think I've taken from my first gopher weekend is that love of service. It stinks right now, but God has really filled me with his love. Ive g2g!

Ps, don't let this thread die completely overnight!

lowdenclear

[quote name='Raphael' date='May 2 2005, 09:34 PM'] Oh yeah, forgot my numbers. I'm UNL Newman Center Koinonia numbers 8 and 9. [/quote]
Hey!!! I went to UNL Newman Center Koinonia in 2003.... Can't remember the number of it though.... 6??

I've been on Quest (younger version of TEC), TEC, Search and Koinonia -- all pretty similar, but Koinonia was definitely the best of the lot (and I'm not just saying that!!). Quest and TEC were about 10 years ago and were both good too. Search was about 3 years ago and I was kinda disgusted with the whole thing... It wasn't the Search format so much as the crowd of people who were there -- there was absolutely no focus on Jesus at all ("this is what life was like before, then I came to Search and made all these new friends, and now this is what my life is like now that I have all these new friends...." kind of attitude) and I was shocked by the behaviour and language, and total lack of reverence. The priest who said Mass on the Saturday was a little off-the-wall too... But I know that many Search groups are completely different so it was the individuals rather than Search itself.

jesus=my_homeboy

First off, thanks to everyone who defended my name. I definitely DO NOT mean it in any kind of disrespectful way. It just describes my relationship with Jesus. We're tight. :cool:

Anyway, back to the TEC thing. I'm with the version called Teens Encounter Christ. Ours is called Gary TEC (in the Diocese of Gary in northwest Indiana). We branched off from Bellville (sp?) TEC in Illinois about 10 yrs. ago. Something kinda cool...TEC originally started in the late 60s-70s I believe in the Kalamazoo Diocese in Michigan. It kinda died out after a few years, but what they didn't know was that it had started to spread. Now it's all over the world. Our TEC just brought TEC back to the Diocese of Kalamazoo about 4 years ago. They call it Full Circle TEC since it came full circle. I've been involved in TEC for almost 4 years...we had 3 a year, but now are down to 2 a year, and I've done everyone but 1 since I started (31-37)! I love it! We're having TEC 39 on Labor Day weekend, and hopefully I'll be helping with that one. So, to all who knows what it means, hope you're having a great 4th day!

Pax Christi.