An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus on the Cross

Jesus Freak

Paphnutius

Just another thing to think about. An empty cross leaves anyone that was crucified to be put on there. I mean really. The cross itself was simply a method of execution that was really painful made up by the Romans. It is the body of Christ (as others have mentioned) that makes the crucifix what it is. It is the corpus with the distinguishing wounds that lets us know who it is and what it was all about. An empty cross could just as easily represent any criminal that was executed that way. That is another reason why we prefer the crucifix over the cross. The cross itself is nothing without Christ.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

If we do not dwell and meditate on His death, it becomes nothing to us, and is just something we like to over look. Jesus isn't all happy-cute lambs all through His life. If we meditate on His death, we know that this was how we could be forgiven from our sins. But also in meditating on His most Holy, painful, and humiliating death, we look forward to three days later when He rises. His last words in John was "It is done." It is in His death we recieve salvation, and we see this all in the Crucifix... it is not just a reminder of His death, but also one of what is to come: His Glorious Resurrection!

guardsman

[quote name='Jesus Freak' date='May 2 2005, 08:00 PM']Yes, but Jesus is not on the cross anymore.  the crucifix is not needed.  should we not be celebrating that He is off the cross?[/quote]
I, personally, would say this is an intellectually dishonest question. It is one of the BASIC questions taught to protestants to ask Catholics, as they try to save us from our "misguided" faith and bring us into their belief system. Of course, Jesus isn't on the cross anymore, He is Risen. Many Catholic Churches have "The Risen Christ" over the Altar instead of a Crucifix. But that is neither here nor there. The fact is, the Crucifix is an accepted Christian symbol in other denominations as well. (Orthodox, some Lutheran, Coptic) I'm sure there are many others. The point is, every time you sin, you help nail Jesus to the cross, because he died for your sins as well. If you don't like the symbol, I can understand that. But it represents Truth, which is what the Catholics are all about. Peace

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

I was at an orthodox Church talking to the priest, who said that they worship the risen Lord and that is why they have risen bread as communion. But during the medevial days there was a big controversy over the crucifix. The Byzantine Emperor Leo III (who controlled the Patriarch of Constantinople) orderd all icons and representations of saints and crucifixs and statues were taken down. The Crucifix hanging from the placace gate was orderd removed the the officals taking it down were beaten to death my a fanatical mob. Leo III replaced it with a plain cross. Leo III thought that any image led to idolatry. The Patriarch of Constantinople objected and was replaced with a more agreeble man. The Pope Gregory II protested. The next pope called a council to settle the contervorsey, and icons were allowed in the church agian, but it strained tensions between east and west. The Orthodox still accuse us of idolatry because we have statues in our churches.

Sam

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

guardsman

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='May 3 2005, 05:18 PM'] The Orthodox still accuse us of idolatry because we have statues in our churches.

Sam[/quote]
Well, maybe I'm wrong about the Orthodox. My only real contact with any Orthodox Christians is on forums like this one. But they usually defend Catholics when protestants accuse them of idol worship. I'm not really sure what the difference is between icons and statues.