An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does the ecumenical movement have a future?

Myles Domini

Does the ecumenical movement have a future?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don John of Austria

I think that part of the problem here is trying to deal with protestants as we have dealt with the various Eastern sects that have been brought back to unity with the Church. There can be no ecuminism with protestants, because Protestants do not have a Church in the sense that the Catholic Church is a Church or that the Rssians have a Church etc... Protestantism is reliant on the Priesthood of all believers, you will never get them to come over as a Group because they have no authoritative body in the same way... with protestants you must simply convert them to the Truth one at a time, individually.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='guardsman' date='May 3 2005, 08:09 PM'] Well, I'm thinking this type of statement would tend to be a HUGE obstacle to any type of ecumenical movement. Vicar of Christ-I agree with this one, definitely Christ's earthly representative as the Head of The Church, at least the visible one in human terms. Father of Christendom? I guess I haven't heard that one before, and if this is an official Catholic term, I'm sure there is a very well-defined meaning behind this title, but I believe most protestants would have a very hard time with that one. Ruler of the World? Also never heard that before. I have heard Satan called the ruler of this world. My point being, some titles are part of the problem. Protestants, many of them anyway, will not accept any authority except their own (many times wrong) interpretation of what the Bible is saying. And they disregard Sacred Tradition. Seriously, is Ruler of the World an official Catholic title for the Pope? [/quote]
Father of Christendom is a traditional Title.

Q the Ninja

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 07:16 PM'] I think that part of the problem here is trying to deal with protestants as we have dealt with the various Eastern sects that have been brought back to unity with the Church. There can be no ecuminism with protestants, because Protestants do not have a Church in the sense that the Catholic Church is a Church or that the Rssians have a Church etc... Protestantism is reliant on the Priesthood of all believers, you will never get them to come over as a Group because they have no authoritative body in the same way... with protestants you must simply convert them to the Truth one at a time, individually. [/quote]
But don't we have an Anglican Rite? I think I was reading somewhere that if the Lutherans came over as one they could have their own Rite..

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 08:27 PM'] But don't we have an Anglican Rite? I think I was reading somewhere that if the Lutherans came over as one they could have their own Rite.. [/quote]
butthey won't come over as one, they can't the very thing that made them a sect prevents it, and now there is technicly no Anglican rite--- yet.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 08:13 PM'] One question Don,

Trekker or Trekkie? :P [/quote]
Trekkie...

Although I was always partial to the Membari and the Vorlons... anyone who gets that is obviously just entirly too cool.

guardsman

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 08:22 PM'] Father of Christendom is a traditional Title. [/quote]
What about Ruler of the World?

philothea

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 08:40 PM']Although I was always partial to the Membari and the Vorlons... anyone who gets that is obviously just entirly too cool.[/quote]
The shadows were the scariest SF thing on TV ever. :ph34r:

Though I am still really ticked about the whole last B5 season.

(And, I wish that Crusade had been picked up for more seasons!)

I am a nerd. :nerd:

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 08:53 PM'] Oh no.

See, I'm just a trekker. :P [/quote]
aren't the trekkers who take it really seriously, those that are offended by the term "trekkie".

Don John of Austria

[quote name='philothea' date='May 3 2005, 08:58 PM'] The shadows were the scariest SF thing on TV ever. :ph34r:

Though I am still really ticked about the whole last B5 season.

(And, I wish that Crusade had been picked up for more seasons!)

I am a nerd. :nerd: [/quote]
The season on Sci Fi I never got to see it, it was off before I got cable. :(
But that was okay the story was over before then. what i gotto see of crusade i liked.

Q the Ninja

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 08:08 PM'] aren't the trekkers who take it really seriously, those that are offended by the term "trekkie". [/quote]
See, for some reason I thought it was the other way around...oh well, I wouldn't know. ;) :)

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 3 2005, 09:15 PM'] See, for some reason I thought it was the other way around...oh well, I wouldn't know. ;) :) [/quote]
So we are both the mild version. ^_^

son_of_angels

"Ruler of the World" comes from the phrase "Rectorem Orbis" from the traditional formula for the coronation of the supreme pontiff. The two other terms are "Patrem Princeptum et Regum" and "Vicarium Salvatoris Nostri Iesu Christi" which mean, respectively, "father of princes and Kings" which is often explained as "father of Christendom" and "Vicar of our Savior Jesus Christ." These three titles explain the fulness of the pontiff's authority as stated in the first Dogmatic Constitution on the Church of Christ, promulgated by the first Vatican Council.

[quote]9. So, then, if anyone says that the Roman Pontiff has merely an office of supervision and guidance, and not the full and supreme power of jurisdiction over the whole Church, and this not only in matters of faith and morals, but also in those which concern the discipline and government of the Church dispersed throughout the whole world; or that he has only the principal part, but not the absolute fullness, of this supreme power; or that this power of his is not ordinary and immediate both over all and each of the Churches and over all and each of the pastors and faithful: let him be anathema.

[/quote]

Now, as for Membarii and Vorlons and such, puleaze, don't tempt me with their quasi-mystical incantations. The only race worth mentioning on B5 are the Narns, ruthless and religious, as though the Jews had become a super-power in the space age. They're awesomely awesome.
I am in a state of continual sorrow at the loss of B5. :(