An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does the ecumenical movement have a future?

Myles Domini

Does the ecumenical movement have a future?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don John of Austria

yeah i liked the narn, andthe treacherous Byzantine part of me really liked the Centari... they where the most human of all the races... including the humans. :D

Don John of Austria

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 3 2005, 09:16 PM'] "Ruler of the World" comes from the phrase "Rectorem Orbis" from the traditional formula for the coronation of the supreme pontiff. The two other terms are "Patrem Princeptum et Regum" and "Vicarium Salvatoris Nostri Iesu Christi" which mean, respectively, "father of princes and Kings" which is often explained as "father of Christendom" and "Vicar of our Savior Jesus Christ." These three titles explain the fulness of the pontiff's authority as stated in the first Dogmatic Constitution on the Church of Christ, promulgated by the first Vatican Council.

Now, as for Membarii and Vorlons and such, puleaze, don't tempt me with their quasi-mystical incantations. The only race worth mentioning on B5 are the Narns, ruthless and religious, as though the Jews had become a super-power in the space age. They're awesomely awesome.
I am in a state of continual sorrow at the loss of B5. :( [/quote]
Wow I am liking you more and more

guardsman

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 3 2005, 09:16 PM'] "Ruler of the World" comes from the phrase "Rectorem Orbis" from the traditional formula for the coronation of the supreme pontiff. The two other terms are "Patrem Princeptum et Regum" and "Vicarium Salvatoris Nostri Iesu Christi" which mean, respectively, "father of princes and Kings" which is often explained as "father of Christendom" and "Vicar of our Savior Jesus Christ." These three titles explain the fulness of the pontiff's authority as stated in the first Dogmatic Constitution on the Church of Christ, promulgated by the first Vatican Council. [/quote]
So "Ruler of the World" could be interpreted "Ruler of the CHRISTIAN World." I can go with that, that's the truth.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='guardsman' date='May 3 2005, 09:45 PM'] So "Ruler of the World" could be interpreted "Ruler of the CHRISTIAN World." I can go with that, that's the truth. [/quote]
The Pope never Claimed authority over those who where not Christian except in so far as to be able to convert them.

guardsman

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 09:50 PM']The Pope never Claimed authority over those who where not Christian except in so far as to be able to convert them.[/quote]
Roger That.

thessalonian

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='May 3 2005, 08:12 AM'] It would depend on how you define 'ecumenism'. [/quote]
The Church defines it in the decree on ecumenism. That is the definition I am going off of in answering the question and that is the only definition by which it has a future.

Ecumenism is coming to consensus where we agree but not compromising on what is true. Rather persuading others of the truth. Ecumenism is only between Catholics and other Christians. In particular the Orthodox.

Religous dialogue is the term used for discussoins between Catholics and non-Christians, especially Jews and Muslims. It is more in line with Pauls preaching at the Aeropogus in Athens in Acts 17 where he finds something in their beliefs on which to leverage the teachings of Christ. In that case it is the shrine to the unknown God, which he uses to explain the one true God. We meet people where they are at.

Blessings

Don John of Austria

[quote name='thessalonian' date='May 3 2005, 10:41 PM'] The Church defines it in the decree on ecumenism. That is the definition I am going off of in answering the question and that is the only definition by which it has a future.

Ecumenism is coming to consensus where we agree but not compromising on what is true. Rather persuading others of the truth. Ecumenism is only between Catholics and other Christians. In particular the Orthodox.

Religous dialogue is the term used for discussoins between Catholics and non-Christians, especially Jews and Muslims. It is more in line with Pauls preaching at the Aeropogus in Athens in Acts 17 where he finds something in their beliefs on which to leverage the teachings of Christ. In that case it is the shrine to the unknown God, which he uses to explain the one true God. We meet people where they are at.

Blessings [/quote]
Persuading others of the Truth is Evangilism, why do we need a differant word.

thessalonian

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 11:19 PM'] Persuading others of the Truth is Evangilism, why do we need a differant word. [/quote]
Some hold to a significant share of the truth such as belief in Christ is the point. The focus of the dialogue is different with them as with those who do not believe. I trust that those who come up with such definitions so that theologically precise treatises can be written are wiser than I. Evangelization is not the same with an orthodox as it is with a Muslim.

Don John of Austria

I don't know they are both intractable enemies of the Truth, sure the Orthodox accepts more of the truth than does the Muslim, but they both accept some and they both reject what they don't like. Is the deferance between a heretic and an infidel really that far?

Don John of Austria

I'm sorry There isa differance but it is fashonable to smooth over the heresies of those we are in " discussion" with The Orthodox obviously have more of the Truth than any other wrong group, but they are still wrong, they must see the whole Truth.

argent_paladin

I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to press ecumenism with any protestant groups. By the time we make progress, they will have died out. And it is not really worth our time to try to reconcile with all the individual evangelical groups that are actually growing so quickly. I'd say that we should invest a great deal of effort in reconciling with the Orthodox. It is a ancient rift and would be a wonderful day when they are reconciled to Rome. We already have a model as to how that will occur with the Eastern Catholic Churches. We should always engage them in dialogue.

thessalonian

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 11:31 PM'] I'm sorry There isa differance but it is fashonable to smooth over the heresies of those we are in " discussion" with The Orthodox obviously have more of the Truth than any other wrong group, but they are still wrong, they must see the whole Truth. [/quote]
We've been through this before Don. I'm not going to go around with you again on it and then end up back where we started.

popestpiusx

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 4 2005, 12:19 AM'] Persuading others of the Truth is Evangilism, why do we need a differant word. [/quote]
I agree. That's why I'm not sure how to properly define it if it is something other than evangelism. Perhaps it is a species of evangelism?

Guest Eremite

Evangelization is the proclamation of the Gospel to those who do not know it.

Protestants not only know the Gospel, but have been reborn in Christ through the Sacrament of Baptism.

The term "ecumenism" is limited to relations between CHRISTIANS. It is not used, in a formal sense, in reference to non-Christians. For them, we refer to "Inter-Religious Dialogue".

I'd really reccommend to anyone truly interested in understanding the Church's teaching and mission in her ecumenical dimension, to prayerfully study John Paul II's Encyclical Letter "Ut Unum Sint". Don't read it with any preconceived prejudices, but truly study it with the mind of the Church. It's an excellent Encyclical.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 3 2005, 10:40 PM'] Trekkie...

Although I was always partial to the Membari and the Vorlons... anyone who gets that is obviously just entirly too cool. [/quote]
Ok you are forgiven for everything :D

There's nothing more annoying than Mr. Garibaldi when he's right.
Ivanova