Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

Wil there be reruns anytime soon you think?

Posted

i bet the protestant forums are bursting at the seems :P

Theologian in Training
Posted

Best episode ever. I am actually glad I taped it since I was thinking of not taping it given how horrible the show has become. I do know that they were set to show it around the time of JP II's death but pre-empted it not thinking it appropriate. I am curious as to whether or not they edited some of it as a result.

I must agree though, prolly one of the best Simpsons I have seen in years. Did you notice they used the big word: Transubstantiation...Homer wrote it on his arm :)

I was shocked Homer went to confession.

The whole ep was awesome...definitely making that one into a DVD :)

I think the Simpsons are starting to explore Catholicism in more depth, because if you saw last weekend they were negatively portraying the Protestant idea of the Rapture as well. Just my .02, of course

From snpp.com

GABF09 - The Father, Son and the Holy Guest Star - Confirmed airdate: May 15th, 2005 (8:30pm) SEASON FINALE
After Bart is falsely blamed and then expelled for a mishap at the school-sponsored medieval festival, Fat Tony, guest-voiced by Joe Mantegna, suggests to Marge that he enroll in a Catholic private school. [b](I guess this was the original idea but in the one tonight Marge wound up suggesting it)[/b] After a rough introduction with a nun on his first day, Bart meets and instantly likes an Eminem-quoting priest named Father Sean, guest-voiced by Liam Neeson. Father Sean shows Bart the cooler parts of the religion through graphic stories and comic books. Bart's growing interest alarms his parents and ultimately drives Homer to visit the church. He, too, finds himself attracted to the religion after Father's offerings of beer, pancakes and games. It's up to Marge to bring her family back to their roots before it's too late. [b]NOTE: This episode was originally scheduled to air April 10th, 2005 but was postponed indefinitely out of respect for the Pope's death. [/b]


God Bless

DemonSlayer
Posted

Almost?!

Fidei Defensor
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' date='May 16 2005, 12:00 AM'] Marge was so funny trying to save Bart and Homer from becoming Catholic, and Lisa saying that she agrees that people should have a choice in their religion, that's why she was buddhist--and then the Catholic priest laughed at her. [/quote]
Lisa "I think everyone should be able to chose their religions. Just Like i chose Buddism"

Priest "Anyone can have an imaginary friend.."

stargirl3:16
Posted

Dang it, I missed it. Oh well, that's why there's syndication.

Posted

My favourite line, to the effect of {from the reverend}:

"We separated from the church in 1573 in protest for he right to go to church with wet hair. A rule that we have since rescinded."

Pure gold...

Kilroy the Ninja
Posted

Glad I have a DVR...

homeschoolmom
Posted

I watched it three times last night. :unsure:

They didn't take any potshots like I thought they would-- the obvious one being the sex abuse scandal. It was very subtly alluded to, but if you weren't paying attention, you wouldn't necesarily get it. In fact, the only negatives were aimed at Protestants.

I love that it was the pancake dinner and bingo that turned Homer on to Catholicism... but confession was the clincher. For Bart it was the lives of the saints...

[quote]I think the Simpsons are starting to explore Catholicism in more depth, because if you saw last weekend they were negatively portraying the Protestant idea of the Rapture as well. Just my .02, of course[/quote]

After not having seen the show in years, I actually saw last week's episode, too. It is interesting that they would have two religiously themed episodes in one season. I cannot wait for the DVD w/ commentary to come out!!


On a different note, in one episode (don't remember much about it), Marge was standing in line at church to receive communion and she was drinking from a challace. I've never seen that in a Protestant church. I love how they just aren't sure what kind of Protestants they are. If Ned were a true Fundie like they portray him, he'd never have a piece of "the true cross" yet it saved his life once.... and he'd never see oil stains in the parking lot that looked like anyone. :lol:

Brother Adam
Posted

If someone can send me a copy on DVD, or VHS, I will pay you for it!

homeschoolmom
Posted

What's funny is that years ago, Bart was expelled (was it Wacking Day?) and he went briefly to Springfield Christian School (where is was quickly run out) followed by Marge homeschooling Bart. I thought that was pretty funny... garage turned classroom... It happens.

Brother Adam
Posted

I don't think it was the Whacking Day episode. The whole thing pretty much stayed on the snakes and Lisa trying to save them. Season 6 needs to come out here pretty soon.

homeschoolmom
Posted

I think it was. Didn't Bart learn (through the homeschooling and the fieldtrip) that the history of Wacking Day was a sham?

Brother Adam
Posted

I just found out Simpsons Season 6 is set to release on August 16, 2005!!

The Retail price is $49.95 with Amazon.com and other stores set to sell it for $32.95 on the release date.

Mickey's_Girl
Posted

It was FREAKING hysterical! I was too tired to get online last night, but I'm glad there's a thread.

Having been Protestant AND Catholic, I found it accurate, funny, and not-disrespectful on both counts. AWESOME!

--Loved the Protestant Heaven/Catholic Heaven
--Loved the St. Sebastian comics, pancake supper, and bingo (HA HA! CATHOLICS RULE!)
--Loved that Homer went to confess, but then the priest was like, "Except, to receive the sacraments you have to be Catholic." Gotta love accurate theology.
--BART AND THE ROSARY! Enough said.

They did a good job with the priest, I thought.

Once you go Vatican, you can't go back again. :rolling:

MG

homeschoolmom
Posted

Plop till you drop.

homeschoolmom
Posted

No meat on Fridays? What do they eat-- lightbulbs?

Brother Adam
Posted

To debut on Season 6 DVD:

Episodes:

# Bart Of Darkness
# Lisa's Rival
# Another Simpson Clip Show
# Itchy & Scratchyland
# Sideshow Bob Roberts
# Treehouse Of Horror V
# Bart's Girlfriend
# Lisa On Ice
# Homer Badman
# Grandpa vs. Sexual Inadequacy
# Fear Of Flying
# Homer The Great
# And Maggie Makes Three
# Bart's Comet
# Homie The Clown
# Bart vs. Australia
# Homer vs. Patty And Selma
# A Star Is Burns
# Lisa's Wedding
# Two Dozen And One Greyhounds
# The PTA Disbands
# Round Springfield
# Springfield Connection
# Lemon Of Troy
# Who Shot Mr. Burns? (1)


(It's going to be tough waiting for Who Shot Mr. Burns (2)!!!)

Posted

[quote name='Scofizzle' date='May 15 2005, 10:50 PM'] I cant belive I missed it...I guess youth ministry comes first [/quote]
me too, but i had fun with my kids, and they'll probably replay this episode before the next season starts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...