DemonSlayer Posted May 19, 2005 Posted May 19, 2005 (edited) Well, I hope that it's shown down here sometime soon. The most disappointing thing about the The Simpsons in relation to Catholicism, is in that episode where Bart was able to freeze time or something like that, and he brought the Pope to his house, so he could continously pull down his pants, while on the other hand in another episode where the Dalai Lama came to Springfield, he was pretty much seen in a good light unlike the Pope, who was disrespected. Edited May 19, 2005 by DemonSlayer
CatholicCid Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 I just saw it... I didn't exactly like how Homer tried to go Confession but apparently wasn't at all sorry for it ("I masturbated 8,000 times and I don't plan to stop anytime soon") Though, shouldn't Homer have been entered into an RCIA program and such... And Baptism be needed first ect...
homeschoolmom Posted August 15, 2005 Author Posted August 15, 2005 [quote name='CatholicCid' date='Aug 14 2005, 08:17 PM']I just saw it... I didn't exactly like how Homer tried to go Confession but apparently wasn't at all sorry for it ("I masturbated 8,000 times and I don't plan to stop anytime soon") Though, shouldn't Homer have been entered into an RCIA program and such... And Baptism be needed first ect... [right][snapback]685071[/snapback][/right] [/quote] He was probably baptized as an American Presby-Lutheranist (Western Branch-- Reformed).
zwergel88 Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 I love the Simpsons; I really hope that I can see the re-run.
p-hawk Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 I just watched the DVD commentary of Homer the Heretic (season 4), and at one point they were trying to figure out how many _churchgoers_ (not necessarily Catholics) worked for the Simpsons. They could think of one practicing Jew on the writing staff, and some of the animators are Christian, but otherwise, just about nobody. If you have that season, you should really watch that one with commentary. They even wonder about how they end up being so reverential when discussing religious matters.
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 [quote name='DemonSlayer' date='May 19 2005, 02:48 AM']Well, I hope that it's shown down here sometime soon. The most disappointing thing about the The Simpsons in relation to Catholicism, is in that episode where Bart was able to freeze time or something like that, and he brought the Pope to his house, so he could continously pull down his pants, while on the other hand in another episode where the Dalai Lama came to Springfield, he was pretty much seen in a good light unlike the Pope, who was disrespected. [right][snapback]594486[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [quote name='CatholicCid' date='Aug 14 2005, 09:17 PM']I just saw it... I didn't exactly like how Homer tried to go Confession but apparently wasn't at all sorry for it ("I masturbated 8,000 times and I don't plan to stop anytime soon") [right][snapback]685071[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [quote name='p-hawk' date='Aug 14 2005, 09:45 PM']I just watched the DVD commentary of Homer the Heretic (season 4), and at one point they were trying to figure out how many _churchgoers_ (not necessarily Catholics) worked for the Simpsons. They could think of one practicing Jew on the writing staff, and some of the animators are Christian, but otherwise, just about nobody. If you have that season, you should really watch that one with commentary. They even wonder about how they end up being so reverential when discussing religious matters. [right][snapback]685083[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thats reverential??
White Knight Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 Phew I thought I read that this was the Simpsons Series Finale. fortunately Its only the Season finale.
Christ's Knight Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 Finally! After reading all of PM's praise of this episode, I got to see it. Even got it taped too soooooo... wink wink
p-hawk Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Aug 15 2005, 01:09 AM']Thats reverential?? [right][snapback]685246[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Okay, so maybe reverential wasn't the exact word that they used. But for a bunch of godless heathens, they have generally and not always perfectly refrained from making cheap, easy, and obvious put-down jokes about whatever group they are mocking that week. To get a sense of what the creators were saying, I suggest looking into borrowing that DVD commentary.
Sirklawd Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 ya, simpsons are legendary not having alligences to anyone. they def make fun of EVERYTHING. which is why its so great. This episode (while exceptionally holding true to catholic beliefs) made fun of protestantism - and it was SOOOOOO FUNNNNY!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now