An Old School Catholic Message Board

21st century Crusade

Myles Domini

Is the idea of a Crusade still valid in the 21st century?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We can already participate in a crusade against evil. The weapon of choice is the rosary. :)

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world." --Pope Pius XI

RandomProddy

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='May 17 2005, 11:13 PM'] Actually,

MichaelFilo Ireland is one of the richest countries in Europe today.... [/quote]
True, Ireland is doing really well, but it may be faltering as the Eurozone's economic policy is pulling it down.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 17 2005, 11:57 PM'] The question is this, though, "If there was a Crusade, would any of us be willing to go?" I think this needs to be a big consideration before we go shouting "God wills it." Also, if there was a Crusade, that Crusade would need to be conducted a heck lot better than the last bout of them, with a true purpose of being the holy side of the battle. That means, while understanding that war means destruction, etc., that we must have as our principle aim the conversion of the infidel to the world-redeeming Creed of our Lord.

In this sense, battle is the final length of the Great Commission. We take to them and upon ourselves the sufferings of the Cross of Christ that each warrior may be a new martyr for his cause, and the people conquered may become the new Christendom. However, war SHOULD NOT be waged, I think, on a pagan nation unless there is no other way by which Christian interests may be protected, only against the rebelliously unfaithful, like Muslims. These are not members, to me, of a different religion, but of a heresy of which it behooves Christians to put down when it endagers the flock of Christ.

So, these are my thoughts on Crusade.

As for the practicals, critical questions would need to be asked. Who would supply weapons, technology, recon, intelligence, and all the things needed for a modern war? Certainly none of the national governments now in existence. It would have to be done with a certain amount of criminal intrigue, but when is it right to steal, extort, or break the laws of the land. Clearly, a Crusade could only be fought if first a revolution establishing a small Catholic nation could be formed in which the movement could grow. Perhaps this would have to be the first Crusade: Overthrow a national government with an international religious army, take over that nation and make it a Catholic enclave, prepare all the citizens and benefactors for battle, finally make war on the nations around Israel to establish Christian sovereignty in that region, or choose a nation, like China, to try and destabilize the government and make it possible for a flourishing of Christian growth in the region free of legal restraints. [/quote]
I'd go in a second... it has been a struggle of mine not to try and start my own without Church approval to save the Christians of North Africa. Much of the technology needed is comercially available and many of the targets would have little better equipment or intel than the Crusaders. the biggest problem would be a base from which to launch. And as distastful as it might be there are numerous places that might allow it just to injure their nieghbor.

[quote name='Myles' date='May 17 2005, 03:56 AM'] And of course...

...who in the Phatpham would be willing to go? :shield: [/quote]
I'm already in the guard so I'll go whether I want to or not. But personally, I'd love to have a shot at the mujahadeen. Muslims aren't very good at shooting rifles, they have no idea how to aim. That's why they use suicide bombers. No skill required.

Twentie Fow

A crusade could erupt into a tremendous war. What would happen if nuclear weapons got involved? Wouldn't nations who hate Catholicism get mad? I believe a 21st century crusade is way out of the question.

Don John of Austria
A HUGE WAR! Good means more fighting less pussyfooting around. Nuclear weapons arn't anymore likly to get involved in a Crusade than in any other war. Do you think Ben Lauden wouldn't have already used a nuuke iff he had one, syria and Iran wouldn't hesitate either but to quote Gen. Curtis Lemay "... it doesn't matter to a footsoldier whether he is killed with a nuclear weapon or a rusty knife, he is still dead." Are brothers and siters are being murdered and enslaved, if we will not help them who will?