An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy of The Hours

D0RK4JP2

Do you pray the Liturgy of the Hours?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

son_of_angels

Any of you ever try the old Divine Office, it will make the new one seem easy and a bit short. Personally, I prefer it as it seems to fulfill the methods of the Rule of St. Benedict a lot better, though I like how the Office in the Rule is described perhaps even better than that.

MilesChristi

Yeah, I occasionally pray the old Divine Office. In comparison to the more recently promulgated Liturgy of the Hours, it is indeed longer and a bit more complicated, but, like all things, it gets easier with practice.

I took a class in Gregorian chant last fall which focused primarily on the old Divine Office. It was an awesome experience, and it really opened up the riches of the Roman Rite's traditional sanctification of the hours. I remember standing in a choir stall one night during Advent, chanting Vespers with the rest of my class in a monastery and being caught up in the sheer beauty of it all.

The Divine Office and Gregorian chant are among the Church's greatest treasures. :)

I just got a 4 volume set off ebay for 115. The woman was a novice with a third order in Pennsylvania, and she decided to just do Christian Prayer. I wanted to move from Christian Pray to the 4 volume one, so that I could pray Office of Readings.

phatcatholic

go [url="http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat_id/364"][b]here[/b][/url] for some great articles on liturgy of the hours and [url="http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat_id/34"][b]here[/b][/url] for some other prayers, devotions, and forms of spirituality to enrich your prayer life.

I have a book called "The Little Book of Hours" It is a 4 week version of the LOTH. It was only $13.95 too! :)

I do want to save up my money so someday I can buy a 4 volume set!

Since they're coming out with a new translation of the Mass, are they going to redo the Office also? I've been wanting to buy Christian Prayer but if they're going to redo it soon I'll just wait. Or are they independent?

[quote name='Wynd' date='Jul 24 2005, 01:09 PM']Since they're coming out with a new translation of the Mass, are they going to redo the Office also?  I've been wanting to buy Christian Prayer but if they're going to redo it soon I'll just wait.  Or are they independent?
[right][snapback]657002[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Check out the 3-volume, published in England and Ireland, if you want to see a really authentic, traditional translation.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 24 2005, 01:32 PM']they're coming out with a new translation of the Mass??? tell me more
[right][snapback]657054[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[url="http://catholicinsight.com/online/church/liturgy/new_mass.shtml"]http://catholicinsight.com/online/church/l.../new_mass.shtml[/url]

MilesChristi

[quote]Since they're coming out with a new translation of the Mass, are they going to redo the Office also?[/quote]

Yes, the English translation for the Liturgy of the Hours is also being revised.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:13 AM']Hmmm not too sure about the new translation..........
[/quote]

Why not? All they're doing is making it say what the Latin already says.

I know, I'm just used to the translation we have now. I hate change lol. Good thing I wasnt around during the 1960's :D:

I think it is a good thing they are changing it to say what the Latin Mass. I just don't like change.