An Old School Catholic Message Board

Luther And Poo

God Conquers

I know that St. Thomas More, in a polemical letter to Luther, referred to him as a caecus daemon. Literally, poo devil. And don't get me started on Jerome. His works against Helvidius? Makes More seem tame. 

Nihil Obstat

Thomas More wrote some spectacular polemics against Luther back in the day. :hehe: From Wikipedia:

Martin Luther then attacked Henry VIII in print, calling him a "pig, dolt, and liar".[12]:227 At the king's request, More composed a rebuttal: the Responsio ad Lutherum was published at the end of 1523. In the Responsio, More defended papal supremacy, the sacraments, and other Church traditions. More’s language, like Luther’s, was virulent: he branded Luther an "ape", a "drunkard", and a "lousy little friar" amongst other insults.[12]:230 Writing as Rosseus, More offers to "throw back into your paternity's ***ty mouth, truly the ****-pool of all ****, all the muck and **** which your damnable rottenness has vomited up".[23]

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Luther wrote extensively. Historians have analyzed that extensive lot of documents to evaluate his persona/personality/motivations, etc. Apparently, the man had difficulty evacuating, which caused him to spend long periods of time in the men's room. Not one to waste time, he wrote there, as well - and that's in his writings. The consensus of historians and psychologists is that Luther was a classic Freudian anal personality. I don't put much stock in Freud's psychology myself, but Luther seems to fit the mold. 

There's a play called "Luther" by the Englishman John Osborne, which debuted in 1961. I've seen a movie version of the play. Osborne, using the psychological analyses of Luther's writings, portrayed Luther as an anal personality who referred to defecation often. Osborne went to a Catholic college for a couple of years, but was expelled. Even if he was raised Catholic (and I can't find quick evidence one way or another), he gave it up - married five times plus lots of public affairs. So I wouldn't count Osborne as a Catholic shill who was trying to paint Luther in a bad light just for religious purposes. 

But look - even if it's true that he had a troublesome medical condition, and was a classic Freudian anal personality, and made constant scatalogical references, it doesn't matter. His theology has to be analyzed for its own logic. 

So I'm reading this book which really portrays Martin Luther in a bad light. It says he had scatalogical battles with the devil where they would throw feces at each other and that Luther would invite the devil to "jump up his anus". Is this true or is it Catholic propaganda (which I'm ok with to a degree)?

Also is it wise to be slamming Luther for this when St. Francis told his discibles to poo in the devil's mouth?

Also is this topic too vulgar? I think so.

It was the age. Thomas More used a lot of these expressions to describe Luther. They all hated each other.  It was hard to ignore bathroom functions in those days. No flush toilets. No  toilet paper.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

St thomas More shouldn't of been putting anyone down, it goes against holy scriptures teaching to not do as such. But pressure can do the darndest things and a movement like luthers caused a lot of pressure. There used to be a prayer in the latin vulga(sorry unsure if my spelling is correct) that was for potty mouths, perhaps saint thomas more was reciting this prayer often during this time and one would assume with true sorrow. :)

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Nihil Obstat

St thomas More shouldn't of been putting anyone down, it goes against holy scriptures teaching to not do as such. But pressure can do the darndest things and a movement like luthers caused a lot of pressure. There used to be a prayer in the latin vulga(sorry unsure if my spelling is correct) that was for potty mouths, perhaps saint thomas more was reciting this prayer often during this time and one would assume with true sorrow. :)

Or maybe you do not know what you are talking about.