KizlarAgha Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 Isn't it weird that we have different clothes for different sexes? Bizarre...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 29 2005, 06:23 PM'] Isn't it weird that we have different clothes for different sexes? Bizarre... [/quote] Not at all. Different things have different emphasis and need to be covered differently. Additionally, women have better heating around the womb and get colder limbs, while men are naturally warmer all around.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='May 29 2005, 04:28 PM'] Not at all. Different things have different emphasis and need to be covered differently. Additionally, women have better heating around the womb and get colder limbs, while men are naturally warmer all around. [/quote] really? how do you know this? I don't even know this!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='May 29 2005, 06:30 PM'] really? how do you know this? I don't even know this! [/quote] I have a lot of friends in biology. Women are better insulated around the womb and generally get colder limbs than men because they don't have as much padding in the limbs. The womb bust be better protected. There are many more differences between men and women than the obvious. Additionally, women have a better corpus callosum, which connects the two halves of their brains better than men. It allows them to be better at multitasking, while men are statistically better at detailed, focused things.
philothea Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 Ermn. Not that I want to be picky, but this doesn't make sense. Women have a higher percentage of body fat. It means that their skin tends to be cooler. A person's internal body temperature is (as much as possible) the same all over. Nothing to do with keeping a womb warm. I'm with KA on the clothes thing. Buncha nonsense.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='May 29 2005, 06:40 PM'] Ermn. Not that I want to be picky, but this doesn't make sense. Women have a higher percentage of body fat. It means that their skin tends to be cooler. A person's internal body temperature is (as much as possible) the same all over. Nothing to do with keeping a womb warm. I'm with KA on the clothes thing. Buncha nonsense. [/quote] I don't buy it. My biologists and nursing friends agree with me. Internal body temperature is generally the same everywhere, but can be off by even a little bit and it would make a significant difference. Temperature makes a difference to male anatomy, too, but I won't go into that here. Even if that were the case, there is still the issue of modesty for different types of clothing.
philothea Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 Heh. Women's clothes tend to be way less modest (and FAR less practical) than men's.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='May 29 2005, 06:51 PM'] Heh. Women's clothes tend to be way less modest (and FAR less practical) than men's. [/quote] Well, my point was on why clothing [i][b]needs[/i][/b] to be different...I'm sure that it [b]is[/b] different for reasons of immodesty, at least in part. That's why I originally said, "different things have different emphasis and need to be covered differently"...my point was that different things need to be covered differently [b]and[/b] that different things get more emphasis in our culture, for modesty or immodesty.
Jaime Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 Women don't have to wear neckties. That is about the silliest invention ever. And it doesn't even help keep you warm!!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='May 29 2005, 06:56 PM'] Women don't have to wear neckties. That is about the silliest invention ever. And it doesn't even help keep you warm!! [/quote] I agree...they're stupid and completely pointless. I like Roman Collars much more...I'd wear one, along with a cassock, if I could.
KizlarAgha Posted May 29, 2005 Author Posted May 29, 2005 What Micah said is actually mostly true. Women have more capillaries under the skin than on the surface of the skin, and also more closer to the core of the body. This causes women to maintain their core body temperatures better than men, but at the same time, it makes them feel cold much more easily. A great quote from a doctor was that the man would freeze to death before the woman but even has he died he wouldn't feel as cold as she did.
philothea Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 At least men don't massively change all their fashions every dratted season. Just got back from a week in rich, superficial, trendy-land. I do not want to have to spend thousands of dollars every year on clothes to not look like a freak. That's stupid. I do not care about this stuff. Still, my clothes are, gasp, a few years old. So I look like a fossil, and stick out everywhere I go. Grrrr. Can we all just please wear robes or something?
KizlarAgha Posted May 29, 2005 Author Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='May 29 2005, 05:59 PM'] I agree...they're stupid and completely pointless. I like Roman Collars much more...I'd wear one, along with a cassock, if I could. [/quote] Micah wants to wear a dress!!!
KizlarAgha Posted May 29, 2005 Author Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='May 29 2005, 06:16 PM'] At least men don't massively change all their fashions every dratted season. Just got back from a week in rich, superficial, trendy-land. I do not want to have to spend thousands of dollars every year on clothes to not look like a freak. That's stupid. I do not care about this stuff. Still, my clothes are, gasp, a few years old. So I look like a fossil, and stick out everywhere I go. Grrrr. Can we all just please wear robes or something? [/quote] I have always recommended dressing like Byzantine royal court members but it doesn't seem to ever catch on.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='May 29 2005, 07:16 PM'] At least men don't massively change all their fashions every dratted season. Just got back from a week in rich, superficial, trendy-land. I do not want to have to spend thousands of dollars every year on clothes to not look like a freak. That's stupid. I do not care about this stuff. Still, my clothes are, gasp, a few years old. So I look like a fossil, and stick out everywhere I go. Grrrr. Can we all just please wear robes or something? [/quote] I agree that fads are stupid. I don't get the point. Oh, and personally...I'd go back to tunics. So comfy...
KizlarAgha Posted May 29, 2005 Author Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='May 29 2005, 06:18 PM'] I agree that fads are stupid. I don't get the point. Oh, and personally...I'd go back to tunics. So comfy... [/quote] Tunics rock. I remember my friends were surprised when I would go hiking in a skirt and I replied, "California has a mediterranean climate. Now I know why the Romans never invented pants!"
SarahB Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='May 29 2005, 06:51 PM'] Heh. Women's clothes tend to be way less modest (and FAR less practical) than men's. [/quote] I'm being totally honest when I say this, but I wish we would all go back to wearing clothes like they did in the first century. The long "dresses"(I'm sure there's a technical term for them) and the head coverings, etc. Maybe I'm crazy....or maybe I should just go be a nun and get it over with.
Jaime Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote] Oh, and personally...I'd go back to tunics. So comfy...[/quote] Sadly I don't feel I have the legs for tunics.. And they'd probably make me wear a tie anyway!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now