An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deaconesses

Good Friday

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jun 1 2005, 12:25 PM'] I hadn't considered the Order of Virgins. Might they function in the same way, or at least in very similar ways, as deaconesses did? I really hadn't been considering them; there may be no need for deaconesses in light of the fact that consecrated virgins already fulfill many of the functions of the deaconess. Maybe we need to focus more on vocations to the Order of Virgins. [/quote]
[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/index.html"]Consecrated Virgins[/url]

One of my closest friends is a consecrated virgin. I totally support this vocation. And it is most likely the vocation that "deaconesses" had in the early Church.

Cam

journeyman

Abysmal ignorance displayed for all to see.

Are there consecrated vocations for men? Would that be something like the friars or the brothers in a monastic order?

I am avoiding the term ordained here deliberately. I'm asking, I guess, if there is a male equivalent of nuns.

[quote name='journeyman' date='Jun 1 2005, 06:42 PM'] Abysmal ignorance displayed for all to see.

Are there consecrated vocations for men? Would that be something like the friars or the brothers in a monastic order?

I am avoiding the term ordained here deliberately. I'm asking, I guess, if there is a male equivalent of nuns. [/quote]
Yes there is. They're called monks.

Guest JeffCR07

I have another question to tag onto journey's (we can look stupid together)

Are there any hermits anymore? (By hermit I mean to say a person who lives in solitary seclusion from the world for the purpose of fasting, praying, contemplating, and developing the virtues towards the end of unity with God)

Was that even an officially recognized vocation?

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jun 1 2005, 07:51 PM'] I have another question to tag onto journey's (we can look stupid together)

Are there any hermits anymore? (By hermit I mean to say a person who lives in solitary seclusion from the world for the purpose of fasting, praying, contemplating, and developing the virtues towards the end of unity with God)

Was that even an officially recognized vocation? [/quote]
Yes.....all over the world. The Carmelite monks of Demontraville are hermits.

[url="http://www.ocarm.org/news/eng0700.htm"]Carmelite Hermitages[/url]

Guest JeffCR07

Cam, these seem to live in communities together. While they are definately "secluded" it doesn't appear that they live in total solitude.

I suppose I am speaking about the somewhat naive/romanticized notion of a hermit: you know, the hermit who lives in a little hut in the middle of an unknown forest, and who hasn't spoken to a single human being in 20 years until a knight errant comes riding through...

lol, I'm talking the really hardcore hermits of the middle ages here. Do they exist anymore (or did they ever?)

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jun 1 2005, 08:20 PM'] Cam, these seem to live in communities together. While they are definately "secluded" it doesn't appear that they live in total solitude.

I suppose I am speaking about the somewhat naive/romanticized notion of a hermit: you know, the hermit who lives in a little hut in the middle of an unknown forest, and who hasn't spoken to a single human being in 20 years until a knight errant comes riding through...

lol, I'm talking the really hardcore hermits of the middle ages here. Do they exist anymore (or did they ever?) [/quote]
I am sure that there are....but techincally, these monks are hermits.

They did exist. many saints were hermits (unfortunately, don't have their names off the top of my head - need to go back and research - St. Anthony, others). They were most common around the 4th-5th centuries.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 1 2005, 08:32 PM'] They did exist. many saints were hermits (unfortunately, don't have their names off the top of my head - need to go back and research - St. Anthony, others). They were most common around the 4th-5th centuries. [/quote]
St. Francis of Paola....

St. Paul the Hermit....

St. Clair the Hermit....

St. Gregory of Nazianzus, before he became a bishop.....

There are others....

journeyman

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 1 2005, 07:48 PM'] Yes, but the big question is, who knows the difference between a nun and a sister? [/quote]
I love google

"Sister" applied to a woman who belonged to "active orders," such as teaching or nursing communities, but whose work was carried on outside the convent. The word "nun" traditionally applied to one who was a contemplative, living in an enclosure.

journeyman

That's research . . . you've got to remember that unlike a lot of folks on the board, I've only been Catholic for a little over a year. This board is like a self directed religious ed program for me! :D