An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Rosary as a necklace

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Rosary as a necklace?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I used to put mine in my pocket when I would go to work, but it broke because I'm forever putting things in my pockets(I think it comes with the job of being an assistant manager...everyone is always handing me stuff). I wore it around my wrist a few times, but the cross go in the way when I was trying to stock shelves, etc. I haven't worn it around my neck yet, but I might. I always wear a regular shirt beneath my work shirt, so I could keep it between the two. I wouldn't be doing it as a fashion statement, or anything like that. Just so that I can have it close to my heart. Not only is the Rosary awesome, but mine was blessed by Pope John Paul II. so it's extra special.

CatholicCid

I wore it instead of my usual St. Christopher's medal once... It was only a little plastic one (Lost the good one) but it allowed me to pray a rosary during the day at free time during classes or so discretely during boring class ;)

Edited by CatholicCid

IIRC, some nuns wear theirs as belts. All 15 mysteries worth.

Now with the luminous mysteries, we can have pudgier nuns....:whistle:

[quote name='CatholicCid' date='May 31 2005, 10:24 PM'] I wore it instead of my usual St. Christopher's medal once... It was only a little plastic one (Lost the good one) but it allowed me to pray a rosary during the day at free time during classes or so discretely during boring class ;) [/quote]
That's a great idea. I have too many boring classes anyway.

[quote name='karin' date='May 31 2005, 09:17 PM'] Because often it is sign of gangs and stuff and I find it very disrespectful to wear it around your neck it is a special gift given to us by our Blessed Mother you dont just do anything with it. [/quote]
There are gangs who wear rosaries?
Wow...

"You talking about my momma?"
"Yeah, foo."
"Well she's yo momma too, so you da foo."

Wearing it under your shirt is a good idea, as long as your school doesn't have a problem with concealed weapons. :P

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Sarah_JC' date='May 31 2005, 09:32 PM'] Wearing it under your shirt is a good idea, as long as your school doesn't have a problem with concealed weapons. :P [/quote]
:rolling: :lol:

It isn't a necklace. It isn't a necklace. It isn't a necklace.

One more time.....

It isn't a necklace. Need I say more??????

Paphnutius

Okay sorry but I am going to skip reading the thread because based on what I know about the pham I can pretty much guess the sentiment.

It is not a necklace.....
If you want to wear something around your neck that is religious, get a medal, crucifix, or better yet, a scapular.

A rosary is meant to be prayed with and carried in your pocket. It is not a form of jewlery, but rather a "worship aid."

Odd thing though, I saw a lot of kids when I did mission in Honduras wearing rosaries around their neck. The plastic ones, but was still a shock.

Now how about a rosary as a bracelet then? I actually have seen those...they do have the rosary rings.... Just joking guys...

Paphnutius

[quote name='CatholicCid' date='May 31 2005, 09:24 PM'] I wore it instead of my usual St. Christopher's medal once... It was only a little plastic one (Lost the good one) but it allowed me to pray a rosary during the day at free time during classes or so discretely during boring class ;) [/quote]
There are guys at seminary that pray the rosary when they get bored in class. They just draw it as they go in their notebooks instead of carrying one with them. It is pretty funny to count the rosaries in peoples notebooks...you can pretty much tell which are interesting or hard courses based on such a thing.

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Jun 1 2005, 11:17 AM'] There are guys at seminary that pray the rosary when they get bored in class. They just draw it as they go in their notebooks instead of carrying one with them. It is pretty funny to count the rosaries in peoples notebooks...you can pretty much tell which are interesting or hard courses based on such a thing. [/quote]
And we wonder why priests are so daft....

Not a slam on you Phaphnutius, but the formation. There is a fourfold aspect to the formation of a priest.

1. Human
2. Spiritual
3. Pastoral
4. Intellectual

When one suffers they all suffer. Perhaps Ecclesiates 3:1-13 applies. There is a time for everything...I don't think that class is the time for prayer, no matter how boring.

While I understand that there are the glamorous things to study, there are also the boring. But the boring is often times the most important. Tell your brothers to stop praying in class and start paying attention. Then, they may make even better priests.

Trust me, I know......

Paphnutius

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 1 2005, 11:37 AM'] Not a slam on you Phaphnutius, but the formation. There is a fourfold aspect to the formation of a priest.

1. Human
2. Spiritual
3. Pastoral
4. Intellectual
[/quote]
Oh I understand...believe me they get it brought to their attention in their chaplin meetings. I was just making light of the situation.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 1 2005, 10:57 AM'] It isn't a necklace. It isn't a necklace. It isn't a necklace.

One more time.....

It isn't a necklace. Need I say more?????? [/quote]
Have to disagree with you Cam.

I don't have pockets + it's just beads = wearing it.

Disagree all you like, however, it is inappropriate to "wear" the rosary. If you don't have pockets, carry it. Or come prepared. It is not a neclace. The big hole in the middle is not intended to make it a necklace.

The rosary is a chaplet, not a necklace. It is a matter of respect. "Wearing" the rosary cheapens it. IMHO.

That is why there are speed rosaries, and decade rings.....