An Old School Catholic Message Board

dangit, there's nothing like Chinese bowls

Dudette

UGH, I wish I gotten a chinese bowl, this stupid lunch bowl does NOT do the job. Meh. :angry: You cannot scoup the food into your mouth with them!

*goes off muttering* -_-

Dreamweaver

Heh, I love chopsticks too. Ate some yummy sticky rice with coconut milk (a Thai favorite) with chopsticks today for lunch. Mmm mmm good.

Catholictothecore

(does not get oriental-cultures)

I am fascinated by them, though. It is one of my dreams to see Japan someday.

rofl, yep, you had better know how to use chopsticks, don't force me to come over there and teach you!

"A man cannot eat if he cannot eat with chopsticks."

Catholictothecore

I just don't get it. How do you grip the food, especially little food like rice? What's more....how do you eat cold cereals?

em, depends if you're eating the cereal with milk or not, with milk, you would use a Chinese spoon.

You don't grip the rice, you hold the bowl up to your mouth and use your chopsticks to scoup it in your mouth. Easy.

Oh, and learning how to use the chopsticks..uh, that has to be done in person...haha, impossible to teach it over the internet...I think.

Edited by Dudette

Catholictothecore

(adorns a snobbish British accent)

Chopsticks....fancy the savage barbarians not learning to eat like proper gentlemen before we got there!

(hopes nobody minds, as I've just unwittingly insulted two very noble countries)

Catholictothecore

No, I don't think thats it. I think it's the same reason I like digging the hole as deep as I can before I start burying myself.

"Serves them Indians right, being on our land before we got there!"

Hee!

When I was a kid I'd go to a local Japanese restaurant any time I had extra money. No one there spoke any English. Other than me, all the customers were visiting businessmen from Japan.

The staff all found it quite hysterical trying to teach me to use chopsticks. Also fun was asking, "What is that thing (on my plate)?" ... which they'd tell me. Of course, I didn't understand a word. Giggles all around.

Hoping to visit Japan in 2007.... WorldCon will be held there.

Catholictothecore

What is that tea they drink? I had it once and forgot the name of it. The best description is extremly hot water, with some flavor, but not much. I loved it.

KizlarAgha

My favorite thing is how the silly westerners don't know that they're supposed to just pick up the bowl and shovel.

:P

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='Jun 2 2005, 07:12 PM'] What is that tea they drink? I had it once and forgot the name of it. The best description is extremly hot water, with some flavor, but not much. I loved it. [/quote]
Well the Japanese usually just call their tea お茶 or "ocha" which means tea. This is derived from the Chinese word 茶 which also means tea.