An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patriotism

philothea

When is patriotism a virtue?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='Jun 2 2005, 11:10 PM'] Yeah I think that's what I just said...a few seconds late... [/quote]
that's patriotism.

keep up your critique of nationalism though.. it's gotten on my last nerve too. that's why I want to start my own country.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 2 2005, 10:12 PM'] that's patriotism.

keep up your critique of nationalism though.. it's gotten on my last nerve too. that's why I want to start my own country. [/quote]
I suppose patriotism as "love of country" is acceptable. I can't really argue too hard against love.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 2 2005, 10:15 PM'] :cool:

love conquers all then? the conclusion of this discussion rules. [/quote]
Yeah. I mean, I'd love to argue against love, but [i]that[/i] would be trolling...

Don John of Austria

[quote]People are not country.... country is our land and government. Patriotism does not deal with people, deals with our country as our parent and our home.[/quote]

Well I would have to disagree that Patriatism is virtuous at all if this is the definition of Country. Love of Land is natural but it is hardly a virtue, love of the Government, well that all together depends on the Government. Love of the Nation is love of the People, for People and Nation are synonymous--- look it up--- For Patriotism to be a virtue the Nation must be what is loved, the Land the Nation inhabits should also be loved, but the government there is no need to love the government or even the method of governmnent. Further, Patriotism can be a vice if it leads on to revolt agianst legitament government ( such as the Founding Fathers, or the Swiss). Love of the Nation ie. Love of the People is the only way that Patriotism can ever be virtuous.

Edited by Don John of Austria

Myles Domini

I voted 'other--please explain' because none of your options seemed to encapsulate truly what true patriotism is. Patriotism is always a virtue, it is right and just to love your state and citizenship. However, your poll did not accurately draw the line between Patriotism and Nationalism.

Nationalism is the disordered affection for one's country, it is a perversity of patriotism. True patriotism, for instance, could never place state actions against Divine Law on two accounts 1) Divine Law supersedes any human opinions and 2) If you love your country you'd want the best for it and the best for it is that it be in a right relationship with God.

When a man puts national concerns above the concerns of God he is no longer a Patriot he is an idolater, a nationalist. That is an abomination and the Old Testament, particularly in the divided Kingdom period, illustrates how damaging the sin of nationalism can be.

Thank you everyone!

(Still digesting, but I guess I don't have to give up my assisting with elections just yet.)

[quote name='Myles' date='Jun 3 2005, 01:23 AM'] I voted 'other--please explain' because none of your options seemed to encapsulate truly what true patriotism is. Patriotism is always a virtue, it is right and just to love your state and citizenship. However, your poll did not accurately draw the line between Patriotism and Nationalism.

Nationalism is the disordered affection for one's country, it is a perversity of patriotism. True patriotism, for instance, could never place state actions against Divine Law on two accounts 1) Divine Law supersedes any human opinions and 2) If you love your country you'd want the best for it and the best for it is that it be in a right relationship with God.

When a man puts national concerns above the concerns of God he is no longer a Patriot he is an idolater, a nationalist. That is an abomination and the Old Testament, particularly in the divided Kingdom period, illustrates how damaging the sin of nationalism can be. [/quote]
Myles I have been searching for a way to descibe my feelings regarding this subject. You nailed it!

[quote]When 9/11 happened I just kind of shrugged my shoulders. It was sad, but I didn't feel like my home was under attack.[/quote]

Im gonna try and say this in the nicest way possible but HOW can you say that you just SHRUGGED your shoulders and not feel like ur homeland was under attack???

Ive never been to south east asia but when the tsunami hit i didnt just SHRUG my shoulders- When I saw the devistation on tv I was blown away.

I was in 5th grade when 911 happened so it was a bit much for me to take in but the other night cnn was recapping 911 for their 25 aniversary and i cringed when they played the tape of that plan SLAMMING into the tower and i cringe when i visualize the towers coming down- such a great symbol of freedom and democaracy being reduced to dust by these terrorist thugs. It hits me now when I see the video and watch it and listen- But I find joy in thinking back to how it was right after the attacks when we came together- when we TRULY were one- standing united. That still strikes me as amazing and so patriotic- THAT was patriotic- dem or republican it didnt matter we were AMERICAN.

Patriotism is very important. God comes first but love of one's country is very important. It is not neglect of other peoples- you always look with compasion and caring especially on the poor and love of neighbor but its ok to love whats yours and to be proud of it. True patriots dont run away when the times get tough. They stay and work things out. True patriots will save this country from the horrids of abortion and the like. When the going gets tough the tough get going. Thats because they love this country and will not stand to see it crumble. I love America, I love being an American, and always will be. If the need arose I would take up arms to defend what I love- assuming I make it through basic training :sweat:

geetarplayer

I don't hold patriotism in very high regard. I'm more of a 'citizen of the universe' kind of guy.

-Mark

[quote name='geetarplayer' date='Jun 3 2005, 11:15 PM'] I don't hold patriotism in very high regard. I'm more of a 'citizen of the universe' kind of guy.

-Mark [/quote]
:hippie: :hippie: :hippie: :hearts: :guitar: :heymon:

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 3 2005, 11:19 PM'] :hippie: :hippie: :hippie: :hearts: :guitar: :heymon: [/quote]
Whoa, So Crates! I feel the same way dude.

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='Jun 3 2005, 11:21 PM'] Whoa, So Crates!  I feel the same way dude. [/quote]
Well, :hippie: :hippie: :hippie: :hearts: :guitar: :heymon: to you too!

Edited by Socrates

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 3 2005, 11:23 PM'] Well, :hippie: :hippie: :hippie: :hearts: :guitar: :heymon: to you to! [/quote]
Dude, he like, totally called me a hippy. It's like...whoa man...be cool.

geetarplayer

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 4 2005, 01:19 AM'] :hippie: :hippie: :hippie: :hearts: :guitar: :heymon: [/quote]
Haha! Not that way, man. I'm really quite square.