An Old School Catholic Message Board

blasphemy

bx_racer

alright, the catecism says that blasphemy extends to holy things and saints. so would using the name Mary, Moses, or Joseph just like that you know like, (insert saint name) you've grown so much! be bad? How about just saying communion! out loud? and sex is holy too, so would making sex jokes or using the f-word when you get hurt or to let out anger (not on someone else). One last one, what about saying oh my God like preps use it?

Good Friday

[quote name='bx_racer']alright, the catecism says that blasphemy extends to holy things and saints. so would using the name Mary, Moses, or Joseph just like that you know like, (insert saint name) you've grown so much! be bad? How about just saying communion! out loud? and sex is holy too, so would making sex jokes or using the f-word when you get hurt or to let out anger (not on someone else). One last one, what about saying oh my God like preps use it?[/quote]
I would think that all of the things you describe would indeed fall under the category of blasphemy, although they may or may not all be mortal sins -- this would depend largely upon culpability, knowledge of the sin, intention, etc.

Taking the name of a saint would indeed be blasphemy; if someone used your mother's or your friends' names to express surprise, alarm, anger, etc. wouldn't that aggravate and hurt you? The same is true of Jesus -- he doesn't want his mother's name or his friends' names used in vain anymore than he wants his own name or his Father's name used in vain.

I would think using the word Communion in vain would also be blasphemous, although I'm not sure that anyone would actually do this...

Sex jokes and use of pejorative terms that refer to sexuality may be sacrilegious, but I'm not sure about blasphemy. Either way, it's not good. Sex was designed by God with a sacred purpose; the use of sex jokes or pejorative sexual terms profanes the sacred nature of sex. Not only is this sacrilege against that which God has created to be sacred, but it also contributes to our culture's acceptance of free sex in that it reduces sex to a profane act of pleasure to be joked about and spoken of flippantly.

And finally, you ask about the use of the phrase, "oh my God." If used in the way that it is used by most people, then yes, it is taking God's name in vain -- which is very explicitly a sin against the second commandment, which says that we should not take the name of God in vain. If spoken as a prayer, however -- in other words, if one says "Oh my God" to pray for God's help -- then clearly, this is not blasphemy. But I don't think that Britney Spears and Paris Hilton are doing any praying when they say "oh my God."

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jun 13 2005, 10:03 AM']And finally, you ask about the use of the phrase, "oh my God."  If used in the way that it is used by most people, then yes, it is taking God's name in vain -- which is very explicitly a sin against the second commandment, which says that we should not take the name of God in vain.  If spoken as a prayer, however -- in other words, if one says "Oh my God" to pray for God's help -- then clearly, this is not blasphemy.  But I don't think that Britney Spears and Paris Hilton are doing any praying when they say "oh my God."
[right][snapback]610316[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is "God" really God's name? I thought it was more of a description.

same here, and someone using my mom's or friend's name might annoy me, but im not gonna go cry about it.

Edited by bx_racer

Good Friday

[quote name='philothea']Is "God" really God's name? I thought it was more of a description.[/quote]
Well, originally the term "god" was a descriptive term. But for at least the past two millennia, and really quite a while longer, the term God has taken on the connotation of a proper name. So the Church does apply the second commandment to God, because this is now viewed as a proper name -- even though God's actual name is Yahweh.

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jun 12 2005, 10:43 PM']alright, the catecism says that blasphemy extends to holy things and saints. so would using the name Mary, Moses, or Joseph just like that you know like, (insert saint name)  you've grown so much! be bad? How about just saying communion! out loud? and sex is holy too, so would making sex jokes or using the f-word when you get hurt or to let out anger (not on someone else). One last one, what about saying oh my God like preps use it?
[right][snapback]610122[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

sex isnt't a holy [i]thing[/i] it is a holy [/I]act[I]

Therefore F*** is not a mortal sin. or sexual jokes for that matter.

Because acoordding to the catechism, it must be a holy THING. sex is an act. it follows that f*** and sexual jokes are not mortal.

oh brother.. sex is a holy thing as well. the word "thing" really can't be made to exclude... well... anything. here are the 19 definitions from the dictionary

[quote]# An entity, an idea, or a quality perceived, known, or thought to have its own existence.
#

1. The real or concrete substance of an entity.
  2. An entity existing in space and time.
  3. An inanimate object.

# Something referred to by a word, a symbol, a sign, or an idea; a referent.
# A creature: the poor little thing.
# An individual object: There wasn't a thing in sight.
#

1. Law. That which can be possessed or owned. Often used in the plural: things personal; things real.
  2. things Possessions; belongings: packed her things and left.
  3. An article of clothing: Put on your things and let's go.

# things The equipment needed for an activity or a special purpose: Where are my cleaning things?
# An object or entity that is not or cannot be named specifically: What is this thing for?
#

[b]1. An act, deed, or work: promised to do great things.
  2. The result of work or activity: is always building things.
[/b]
# A thought, a notion, or an utterance: What a rotten thing to say!
# A piece of information: wouldn't tell me a thing about the project.
# A means to an end: just the thing to increase sales.
# An end or objective: In blackjack, the thing is to get nearest to 21 without going over.
# A matter of concern: many things on my mind.
# A turn of events; a circumstance: The accident was a terrible thing.
#

1. things The general state of affairs; conditions: “Beneath the smooth surface of things, something was wrong” (Tom Wicker).
  2. A particular state of affairs; a situation: Let's deal with this thing promptly.

# Informal. A persistent illogical feeling, as a desire or an aversion; an obsession: has a thing about seafood.
# Informal. The latest fad or fashion; the rage: Drag racing was the thing then.
# Slang. An activity uniquely suitable and satisfying to one: Let him do his own thing[/quote]

EVERYTHING can be a "thing" :P

the "f" word falls under the category of degrading holy things.

[quote name='ardillacid' date='Jun 13 2005, 10:56 PM']Because acoordding to the catechism, it must be a holy THING. sex is an act. it follows that f*** and sexual jokes are not mortal.
[right][snapback]611114[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

no yeah that parts fine i meant why did u say mortal if u couldve just said its not a sin

Dropping the "F-bomb" definitely does not fall under the category of blasphemy.
It is offensive language, and can be venially sinful insofar as it shows disrespect for others and causes scandal, and is an idle and negative abuse of language.

However, it is certainly not a mortal sin of blasphemy, as is using the Lord's name in vain.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 14 2005, 08:17 PM']Dropping the "F-bomb" definitely does not fall under the category of blasphemy.
It is offensive language, and can be venially sinful insofar as it shows disrespect for others and causes scandal, and is an idle and negative abuse of language.

However, it is certainly not a mortal sin of blasphemy, as is using the Lord's name in vain.
[right][snapback]611813[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jun 14 2005, 10:57 PM']I agree.
[right][snapback]612025[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what about other words like (mushy mud pie). u cant use that to be funny? like what a pece of (mushy mud pie)?

Good Friday

[quote name='Socrates']Dropping the "F-bomb" definitely does not fall under the category of blasphemy.

However, it is certainly not a mortal sin of blasphemy, as is using the Lord's name in vain.[/quote]
I agree that saying the f-word or telling a sexual joke is not the mortal sin of blasphemy, but I think that it may be the sin of sacrilege, either venial or mortal depending on a number of mitigating factors. Sacrilege is defined as "profaning or treating unworthily the sacraments and other liturgical actions, as well as persons, things, or places consecrated to God" ([i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], #2120).

Sex is not a sacrament, but it is intrinsically related to the sacrament of matrimony, and I think that this relationship between sex and the sacrament of matrimony can make the profanation of sex through foul language or sexual jokes grave matter, which could then lead to mortal sin. So I don't think we should automatically dismiss foul sexual language or sexual jokes as venial sins. And, even if they are venial sins, Christians are called to purify themselves not only of mortal sins but also of venial sins as best they are able. So even if this is a venial sin, there's no reason why any Catholic should be using foul sexual language or telling sexual jokes. Venial sins damage our relationship with the Lord, and our relationship with him should be more important to us than using foul language or telling sexual jokes.

i forgot where but i saw somewhere that its good to joke about sex or else you'll take it too seriously and start wanting some or something like that. i'm pretty sure it was a Catholic book, so i'll tell you if i find it.