Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking and the Gift of Life


Recommended Posts

popestpiusx
Posted

[img]http://www.deadlydozen.net/5thrangers/images/paperwork/lucky%20strike%20white.gif[/img]

My brand of choice.

Brother Adam
Posted

[quote name='melporcristo' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:24 PM']yeah sorry, I'm in Brother Adam's class -- today we learned about how the bad effects of drinking, and using other drugs while pregnant. Moms - don't drink or do drugs, it's a no-no.

Yeah Adam, I need help in that class! It's really hard -- the test rocked me.
[right][snapback]614717[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're in my class!? :o :ph34r:

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jun 16 2005, 03:40 PM']LOL LOL I LOVE SPLEENS!!!! Me and my friend were just talking about spleens a second ago!!!!!!! SPLEENS ROCK
[right][snapback]613634[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


I miss my spleen,,, :sadder:

They're part of the immune system. And they are important...

Noel's angel
Posted

awwww, I'm sorry. If I had to get my spleen out, I'd make sure to get them to put it in a jar for me so as I could keep it forever

Posted

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:10 PM']My my, how quickly you children get off topic :lol:
[right][snapback]613953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

stop being a hypocrite.

Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 17 2005, 02:12 PM']I hope that anyone who smokes will decide to quit. 

Taking care of my mother as her health continues to deteriorate from emphysema is not an easy thing to do.
[right][snapback]614686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


I hear you on that one...I remember my mother going through chemo...I'll never forget helping her wash what was left of her hair. I won't go into details, but I can still feel it on my hands even after 25 years.

Don John of Austria
Posted

There is nothing wrong with smoking, just like there is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol or eating food, there is a problem with gluttony if you are smoking a cigar every night that is fine, if you are smoking a pipe every night thats fine, if you are smoking a cigarette every night thats fine ( but less fine because they have more carp in them) the problem is smokers who are gluttonous and smoke to much-- this seems to be largely a problem among cigarette smokers as I have never met a 40 cigar a day man but I have met many 2 pack of cigarettes a day men. Anyway smoke for enjoyment in moderation thats fine become a glutton thats not fine--- plus you are ruining it for those of use who like to occasionally smoke.

Posted

Then where is the cut off between and 'ok smoker' and a glutenous smoker? I smoke 1/2 a pack a day... Am I being glutenous?

Noel's angel
Posted

smoking is bad no matter how many you smoke

Don John of Austria
Posted

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 21 2005, 06:45 AM']Then where is the cut off between and 'ok smoker' and a glutenous smoker?  I smoke 1/2 a pack a day... Am I being glutenous?
[right][snapback]617745[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


Probably, if you have to ask then you probably are, do you need to smoke or is it an indulgence, if you feel the need to smoke and it's not just once a day or after a partifular event( in which case it might just be an immotional crutch) then you are probably being gluttonous.

Posted

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 21 2005, 06:45 AM']Then where is the cut off between and 'ok smoker' and a glutenous smoker?  I smoke 1/2 a pack a day... Am I being glutenous?
[right][snapback]617745[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

First of all, it's gluttonous. "Gluten" is an ingredient necessary to make a valid host for consecration in the Latin Rite.

Now that I have my smart-alecky comment of teh day out of the way.....



I'm sure a lot of it has to do with genetics and family history. If you have a history of heart disease/stroke or cancer in your family, any tobacco use can be considered gluttonous, especially as you approach the "heart attack years" (roughly your 40s).

Both my mother and her sister died of cancer (her sister before 40!); my father and two of his three brothers that survived to adulthood all had heart attacks. So I know what the cutoff for me is - 0!

Posted

Actually I think the idea of glutony being linked to smoking is erroneous. Smoking should plain and simple be phased out of society. It is a vice, plain and simple.

(Its not my fault, its in God's plans, he made the devil so much stronger than a man! hehe, I like that line)

I admit I should quit, but it's not easy. Am I in a state of mortal sin if I do not?

Noel's angel
Posted

na, smoking isn't a mortal sin

Fidei Defensor
Posted

Technically, wouldnt smoking be linked to suicide, since you choose to smoke and damage yourself?

Noel's angel
Posted

eating too much could lead to death, not eating enough could also lead to death EVERYTHING WE DO MAY LEAD TO DEATH

Fidei Defensor
Posted

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jun 21 2005, 02:25 PM']eating too much could lead to death, not eating enough could also lead to death EVERYTHING WE DO MAY LEAD TO DEATH
[right][snapback]618308[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, but you gain nothing worth while from smoking, only death, in the long run.

It may be pleasurable, but so is masturbation, but its a mortal sin ;)

Posted

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 21 2005, 01:40 PM']I admit I should quit, but it's not easy.  Am I in a state of mortal sin if I do not?
[/quote]

What is your family history of cancer, heart disease, and stroke?

Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Jun 21 2005, 06:16 PM']What is your family history of cancer, heart disease, and stroke?
[right][snapback]618538[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My family history, lets see...

Weak lungs, heart disease, cancer, insanity (no joke), my sister has a genetic desease that has a long name I could never learn, hair loss, alcoholism, good looks and intellignece and a few others...

should I worry about all this?

Noel's angel
Posted

I'd stop 'cause of the health risk. I eat junk food even though I know it doesn't do me any good

Posted

Easy to say, hard to do.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...