An Old School Catholic Message Board

Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise

FiZzGiG

So, you know how Tom Cruise is a Scientologist?

Well, this is old news, I'm just hearing it, but word has it that Katie Holmes is embracing Scientology since she's dating Cruise... and she was supposedly a devout Catholic.

[url="http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-06/15/content_3087294.htm"]http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-06/...ent_3087294.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/13/people.holmes.ap/"]http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/...ople.holmes.ap/[/url]

Ridiculous.

Typical Hollywood...

This only makes me wanna increase my prayers even more for the conversion of souls--especially fallen away Catholics.

DemonSlayer

I thought she'd just be a cradle Catholic or something, perhaps it's not quite an accurate description, she wouldn't just convert to another "religion" for a guy if she were devoutly Catholic.

Yeah that's true, but then again... the media's idea of a devout Catholic could be skewed, I dunno.

It's just always hard to hear about Catholics, devout or not, completely falling away from the Church.

:(

Prayers.

catholicapmom

It is sad, I agree. Personally, I think this is a media stunt since both of them have movies coming out right now.

RootbeerDumdums

I dunno. She's probably just so in awe about his jumping on couches on national television that she feels a "conversion" is necessary. But also, the media scews many points. Especially about Catholics. Whats "devout" to one religion may not be "devout" in another... :huh:

I saw on a magazine rack in a grocery store that it was a hoax.

:wacko:

hollywood is so messed.

(just for your info, I do not read magazines, i stay away from them, but this one, the cover wasn't immodest and this was on the front.)

Edited by Dudette

homeschoolmom

I saw in interview with John Travolta several years ago and Larry King was asking him about Scientology. And Travolta sputtered something along the lines that according to Scientology, one could be a Scientologist and a Catholic-- it just makes you a better Catholic... Too bad the Catholic Church doesn't agree... I wonder if Cruise believes that he is both a Scientologist and a Catholic... <_<

[quote name='Dudette' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:24 AM']I saw on a magazine rack in a grocery store that it was a hoax.
:wacko:

hollywood is so messed.

(just for your info, I do not read magazines, i stay away from them, but this one, the cover wasn't immodest and this was on the front.)
[right][snapback]618909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, we all know grocery store tabloids are uncontestable sources of truth! ;)

[quote name='catholicapmom' date='Jun 20 2005, 09:01 PM']It is sad, I agree. Personally, I think this is a media stunt since both of them have movies coming out right now.
[right][snapback]617308[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

agreed

sweetpea316

I would feel so silly if it did end up being just a publicity stunt...

Their acting abilities will be proven if it really is. ^_^ Cuz I'm totally falling for it. We shall see....

DemonSlayer

[quote name='RootbeerDumdums' date='Jun 22 2005, 10:09 PM']I dunno. She's probably just so in awe about his jumping on couches on national television that she feels a "conversion" is necessary. But also, the media scews many points. Especially about Catholics. Whats "devout" to one religion may not be "devout" in another... :huh:
[right][snapback]618897[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think that someone is described as devout, it probably just means that they're practising I think.

Everyone in this thread who is making fun of Katie Holmes or Scientology...

I for one do disagree with the teachings of Scientology and believe it to be in error...

However - while we may disagree with Scientology and its teachings, neither the "faith" nor the believer warrant ridicule...