An Old School Catholic Message Board

Selling one's soul

Semalsia

I'm sorry about creating so many topics, but I'm curious to hear your input on this topic as well.

What does the phrase "to sell one's own soul" mean exactly? Is it to be taken literally in catholicism? Is selling your soul actually possible and in what fashion?

How about talking to demons? Is that possible?

I realize these are weird questions, but I just read the story about Faustus couple of days ago and I'm wondering if that's what you believe in.

hmmm, interesting idea, what do some of the scholars say on this? seems to be simply involving urself in sataninc type rituals or else appealing to the power the devil for aid (i.e. praying to him as iff hes God) thats all i think the term "selling ur soul" means

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Jun 19 2005, 05:21 PM']I'm sorry about creating so many topics, but I'm curious to hear your input on this topic as well.

What does the phrase "to sell one's own soul" mean exactly? Is it to be taken literally in catholicism? Is selling your soul actually possible and in what fashion?

How about talking to demons? Is that possible?

I realize these are weird questions, but I just read the story about Faustus couple of days ago and I'm wondering if that's what you believe in.
[right][snapback]616264[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Stories such as that of Faustus about selling one's soul to the devil in exchange for some earthly reward as regarded as legend rather than historical fact. It is not known whether anyone actually made such a deal.

However, it is never too late to repent and turn back to God until one is dead (although the devil may make this very difficult).

One can (knowingly or unknowingly) communicate with evil spirits through sorcery, "magic" and the occult. All such practices are strictly forbidden by the Church (and by Judaic Old Testament Law), and are extremely dangerous to one's soul.

Maybe not the best answer, but hope this helps you understand what we believe.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

You can never be so far into the Devil's grip that God cannot free you if you ask.

you right your name on a piece of paper, sell it and then that persons eats the paper. then he has your soul

[quote name='Fixxxer' date='Jun 19 2005, 08:43 PM']you right your name on a piece of paper, sell it and then that  persons eats the paper. then he has your soul
[right][snapback]616366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm now worried every time I write a check

[quote name='thedude' date='Jun 19 2005, 08:35 PM']You can never be so far into the Devil's grip that God cannot free you if you ask.
[right][snapback]616358[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Unless you blaspheme the Holy Spirit that is.....

i have wonderd about that, how could a sin be unforgiveable? What if you truly had a conversion and understand that it was wrong?

While the sin might not be erased, how would it not be forgiven?

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:26 PM']i have wonderd about that, how could a sin be unforgiveable? What if you truly had a conversion and understand that it was wrong?

While the sin might not be erased, how would it not be forgiven?
[right][snapback]616398[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='CCC 1864']"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."  There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.[/quote]

[i]Mt 12:31; cf. Mk 3:29; Lk 12:10
Cf. John Paul II, DeV 46[/i]

There ya go.....

photosynthesis

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 19 2005, 11:23 PM']Unless you blaspheme the Holy Spirit that is.....
[right][snapback]616394[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what is blasphemy of the holy spirit anyway?

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:18 PM']I'm now worried every time I write a check
[right][snapback]616388[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

heh, i think it was the simpsons that showed what i said

Itis not posible to sell something that does not belong to you. Your soul is God's property, and thus, strictly speaking you cannot sell your soul.

However, in a figurative sense, you sell your soul eveytime you sin.

I believe it was Bart that sold his soul to Milhouse.

Then crazy unforseen antics ensued.

Later he converted to Catholicism