An Old School Catholic Message Board

Selling one's soul

Semalsia

God Conquers

I think it's a metaphor....

I can't even think of a situation where ANYONE would actually sell their soul if they believed they had one.

Guy: "Oh Baby... I would love to have that car/ marry that girl / own that business / hold that political office / have a twinkie right now!"

Devil: "Hey what's up, I'll give it to you, all you have to do is give me your soul."

Guy: " Holy @!#$ it's the Prince of Darkness! You actually exist!... and all I have to do is give you my soul? For how long?"

Devil:"uh.... eternity."

Guy: " And how long will it take to eat the twinkie?"

Devil: "12 and a half seconds."

Guy: "WHat about the marriage?"

Devil: " 14 seconds"

Guy: "The car?"

Devil: "That'll last longer."

Guy: "hmmm... office is 4 years... money is....how long am I gonna live for?"

Devil: "uh... about 20 more years, give or take a few"

Guy: "And the deal with the soul thing is for how long again.."

Devil: "Eternity."

Guy: "OK no dice. "

This is from [i]The Secret of the Rosary[/i] by St. Louis de Montfort:

[quote]Thirty-sixth Rose
109 1in 1578, a woman of Antwerp had given herself to the devil and signed a contract with her own blood.  Shortly afterwards she was stricken with remorse and had an intense desire to make amends for this terrible deed.  So she sought out a kind and wise confessor to find out how she could be set free from the power of the devil.

She found a wise and holy priest, who advised her to go to Fr. Henry, director of the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary, at the Dominican Friary, to be enrolled there and to make her confession.  Accordingly, she asked to see him but met, not Fr. Henry, but the devil disguised as a friar.  He reproved her severely and said she could never hope to recieve God's grace, and there was no way of revoking what she had signed.  This grieved her greatly but she did not lose hope in God's mercy and sought out Fr. Henry once more, only to find the devil a second time, and to meet with a second rebuff.  She came back a third time and then at last, by Divine Providence, found Fr. Henry in person, the priest whom she had been looking for, and he treated her with great kindness, urging her to throw herself on the mercy of God and to make a good confession.  He then recieved her into the Confraternity and told her to say the Rosary frequently.

One day, while Fr. Henry was celebrating Mass for her, Our Lady forced the devil to give her back the contract she had signed.  In this way, she was delivered form the devil by the authority of Mary and by devotion to the Holy Rosary.[/quote]

God Conquers

[quote name='scardella' date='Jun 20 2005, 11:08 AM']This is from [i]The Secret of the Rosary[/i] by St. Louis de Montfort:
[right][snapback]616774[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's AWESOME!

Everett - "What'd the Devil give you for your soul, Tommy?"

Tommy - "He taught me to play the guitar reeeeaaalllll good!"

Delmar - "Now son, for that you traded your everlasting soul?"

Tommy - "Well I wasn't usin' it!"

~ [i]O Brother Where Art Thou[/i]

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 19 2005, 07:47 PM']Stories such as that of Faustus about selling one's soul to the devil in exchange for some earthly reward as regarded as legend rather than historical fact.  It is not known whether anyone actually made such a deal.

However, it is never too late to repent and turn back to God until one is dead (although the devil may make this very difficult).

One can (knowingly or unknowingly) communicate with evil spirits through sorcery, "magic" and the occult.  All such practices are strictly forbidden by the Church (and by Judaic Old Testament Law), and are extremely dangerous to one's soul.

Maybe not the best answer, but hope this helps you understand what we believe.
[right][snapback]616340[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I Know for a fact people do in fact formally sell their souls.

That being Said one may always break said contract and repent.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jun 20 2005, 09:09 AM']I think it's a metaphor....

I can't even think of a situation where ANYONE would actually sell their soul if they believed they had one.
Guy: "Oh Baby... I would love to have that car/ marry that girl / own that business / hold that political office / have a twinkie right now!"

Devil: "Hey what's up, I'll give it to you, all you have to do is give me your soul."

Guy: " Holy @!#$ it's the Prince of Darkness! You actually exist!... and all I have to do is give you my soul? For how long?"

[right][snapback]616723[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Believe it or not people do, I have seen contracts for peoples souls made by people involved with Satanism. If a Demon was visually present at the signing with the contracting parties I do not know. But people do have and sign such contracts.

crusader1234

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jun 20 2005, 07:48 AM']I believe it was Bart that sold his soul to Milhouse.
Then crazy unforseen antics ensued.
Later  he converted to Catholicism
[right][snapback]616694[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Homer sold it to the devil, but they went to court where it was ruled that Homer's soul already belonged to Marge.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jun 20 2005, 09:09 AM']I think it's a metaphor....

[right][snapback]616723[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Usually, people who are selling their soul for something would probably not be thinking that clearly. I would imagine that one or more of several conditions are in play:

1. They're under the influence of drugs/alcohol/etc.
2. They think it's for fun/a formality/not real/etc.
3. They're desperate for the immediate gratification
4. They feel angry/hurt/etc. and attribute that to God
5. For some other reason, they don't completely understand what's going on. Immaturity?

Don John of Austria

[quote name='scardella' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:01 AM']Usually, people who are selling their soul for something would probably not be thinking that clearly.  I would imagine that one or more of several conditions are in play:

1. They're under the influence of drugs/alcohol/etc.
2. They think it's for fun/a formality/not real/etc.
3. They're desperate for the immediate gratification
4. They feel angry/hurt/etc. and attribute that to God
5. For some other reason, they don't completely understand what's going on.  Immaturity?
[right][snapback]617834[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Or perhaps they are simply selfish and want power, or what I think most likely, they think they are going to hell anyway so they might as well get fair value for their soul.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jun 21 2005, 10:29 AM']Or perhaps they are simply selfish and want power, or what I think most likely, they think they are going to hell anyway so they might as well get fair value for their soul.
[right][snapback]617892[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Better to rule in hell than sxerve in heaven?

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 21 2005, 10:33 AM']Better to rule in hell than sxerve in heaven?
[right][snapback]617895[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
exactly.

Actually I was also thinking about the nature of the soul too. About the body/mind dualism. If soul is something you can sell just like something you have in your pocket, then what remains to you is only your body and obviously your body is the only thing that makes up your mind then. But if soul makes up your mind or is some part of it, then it is impossible to actually sell your soul. It would be like selling your brain. That makes sense only in the figurative language.

Guest Eremite

Blessed Bartolo Longo was a priest of Satan. I suppose that's "selling your soul" in a sense. And he's a blessed now!

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 24 2005, 01:45 PM']Blessed Bartolo Longo was a priest of Satan. I suppose that's "selling your soul" in a sense. And he's a blessed now!
[right][snapback]621858[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Really I didn't know that!