An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catechism of the Catholic Church

Cam42

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 29 2005, 11:23 AM'][. . .]

Nevertheless, the Catechism is an initiative of the ordinary and universal magisterium, and though not infallible in itself, it nonetheless requires submission of intellect and will, as a whole. Individual doctrines referred to in the Catechism may require the submission of faith, but not because they are taught in the Catechism, but because they already require such submission.

[. . .]
[right][snapback]627568[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, the Catechism as a document falls into the third paragraph of the three concluding paragraphs of the [i]Professio Fidei[/i]. Thus, it is an act of the Authentic Magisterium of the Pope and the College of Bishops and as such it requires a submission of intellect and will on the part of the faithful.

Moreover, many of the dogmas and doctrines contained in the Catechism, which have already been taught infallibly by the Magisterium, fall under the first and second paragraphs of the concluding propositions of the [i]Professio Fidei[/i], and as such they require, depending upon the case, a definitive assent of either divine and catholic faith or of ecclesiastical faith.

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 29 2005, 11:37 AM']ohh and almost none of this makes sense.
[right][snapback]627581[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It does if you study theology.

[quote]Nevertheless, the Catechism is an initiative of the ordinary and universal magisterium, and though not infallible in itself, it nonetheless requires submission of intellect and will, as a whole. Individual doctrines referred to in the Catechism may require the submission of faith, but not because they are taught in the Catechism, but because they already require such submission. [/quote]

That is a contradictory statement. It must be believed and submission must be given in reference to the Catechism, yet it is not infallible?

It is infallible, precisely because it is an intitiative of the ordinary and universal magisterium. Insofar as it is, it binds the faithful to the truths contained therein.

If the Catechism is a conglomeration of infallible truths, then in and of itself, it must be infallible. If it is not infallible, show me which parts of it are not? If it is not infallible, show me where I can not submit? If it is not infallible, define infallible.

By definition, the Catechism fits the definition of the ordinarium magisterium. It is infallible.