An Old School Catholic Message Board

banning fornication

dairygirl4u2c

Do you think that fornication should be made illegal?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

There's also a jurisdictional question that you can elaborate on in a post. Like you think it should be in your local community, but not everywhere or everywhere too etc.

avemaria40

i say no b/c even though it is wrong, God gave us all free will and we have to be encouraged to make our own choices. It's not like rape, murder, abortion, or anything like that where u r physically harming another person. Also, even though i believe it is wrong and a mortal sin, i don't believe we can police ppl's bedrooms. I'm sorry but that's the way i feel.

dairygirl4u2c

Thank you for your response Ave.

I understand how fornication and gay marriages are different in society and law and not analogous. But I'd like for you to explain this. How do you distinquish between allowing fornication and not allowing gay marriage? (I assume you're against gay marriage)

dairygirl4u2c

First, sodomy and gay marriage are not the same in this thread. Gay marriage deals with marriage, an act which is recognized by society in the law. (and which is something heterosexuals have). Sodomy does not deal with marriage. Sodomy is a single act. Sodomy does occur in gay marriage, but as I've shown, they do not encompass marriage so are not the same for the purposes of this discussion. If you're saying that because gay marriages encompasses sodomy, you'd have to explain more, plus show what should be the case for those gays who are not sexual.

I already admitted that fornication and gay marriage are different, and I asked for an explanation for how. Not for you to repeat what I said and use a different word to evoke people's emotions. (which based on the depth of your response appears to be what you're doing) Even if sodomy and gay marriage were the same, I did not ask for you to repeat what I said simply to evoke people's emotions.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

avemaria40

about gay marriage, i also think this is wrong but like fornication and divorce, i don't think our gov. has the power to outlaw it

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jul 2 2005, 12:09 PM']It's not like rape, murder, abortion, or anything like that where u r physically harming another person.  Also, even though i believe it is wrong and a mortal sin, i don't believe we can police ppl's bedrooms.  I'm sorry but that's the way i feel.
[right][snapback]630021[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Speeding isn't physically harming another person, but it's illegal.

I think fornication does harm people and society--more so than than paying for one movie at a theatre and sneaking in to watch a second one after the first one ends. The latter is illegal.

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jul 2 2005, 02:36 PM']about gay marriage, i also think this is wrong but like fornication and divorce, i don't think our gov. has the power to outlaw it
[right][snapback]630080[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There is no such thing as "gay" marriage. Marriage is a natural institution blessing the union of a man and a woman to have children and raise a family. The Church has raised this to a sacrament. The state gives legal recognition to marriages. What the homosexual activists want is this same legal recognition confered upon sodomistic same-sex "unions."

This legal recognition of something which can never be a true marriage is something which did not exist until very recently at the urging of homosexual activists. Thus, this "marriage" is is a new legal creation by the law, not something which the state "outlaws."

Sodomy is not marriage, and those who practice it have no "right" for it to be recognized as such by the law.

Edited by Socrates

I wouldn't mind anti-fornication laws. now, there would still be all the limitations on police et cetera.. and they wouldn't be able to strictly enforce it (nor would I want them to) but having the law in place for those times when it is obvious... teach people some shame and get rid of the open sexually permissive society... i.e. while many would be doing it, they wouldn't be out boasting about it.

also, gay marriage is entirely different. now, if you want to make the analogy to outlawing sodomy, like Texas was doing until the Supreme Court stopped them, that's more relatable. However, when it comes to gay marriage the question is: should the government recognize homosexual unions? that's it. gay marriage is not illegal... no one gets arrested for having whatever crazy ceremony they want to say they are married. gay marriage is simply not recognized by the state, that's it.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Jul 2 2005, 12:16 PM']Thank you for your response Ave.

I understand how fornication and gay marriages are different in society and law and not analogous. But I'd like for you to explain this. How do you distinquish between allowing fornication and not allowing gay marriage? (I assume you're against gay marriage)
[right][snapback]630024[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Fornication = (hetero)sexual intercourse without legal recognition.

"Gay marriage" = sodomy given legal recognition.

Two totally different things.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 2 2005, 06:00 PM']I wouldn't mind anti-fornication laws.  now, there would still be all the limitations on police et cetera.. and they wouldn't be able to strictly enforce it (nor would I want them to) but having the law in place for those times when it is obvious... teach people some shame and get rid of the open sexually permissive society... i.e. while many would be doing it, they wouldn't be out boasting about it.

also, gay marriage is entirely different.  now, if you want to make the analogy to outlawing sodomy, like Texas was doing until the Supreme Court stopped them, that's more relatable.  However, when it comes to gay marriage the question is: should the government recognize homosexual unions?  that's it.  gay marriage is not illegal... no one gets arrested for having whatever crazy ceremony they want to say they are married.  gay marriage is simply not recognized by the state, that's it.
[right][snapback]630200[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly, Batman (see you're no longer James Bond).

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 2 2005, 06:29 PM']well... I saw the new Batman movie... and you know... Batman's just so much cooler now

:cool:
[right][snapback]630219[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Batman's my hero. (note the Bruce Wayne avatar)

fornication and gay marriage are two differnt things

fornication most deffinatly harms society- just look at teen sex and how that messes up society so much. anti fornication laws would be great but i doubt it would happen