An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alberto Gonzalez

Jaime

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 5 2005, 03:03 PM']Yes, I know all that.

The way the Church advocates usage of the death penalty and the way Bush advocates usage of the death penalty are very different from each other. 
Notice in my quote I said I have issues with [b]his[/b] death penalty stance.  I didn't criticize the Church's stance.  Like I said, two very different views.
[right][snapback]632379[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How are they different? (I'm aware that John Paul II was not in favor of the death penalty, but all Popes before him had no problem with it. The death penalty was widely practiced in Christendom with full Church approval.)

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 5 2005, 05:16 PM']How are they different?  (I'm aware that John Paul II was not in favor of the death penalty, but all Popes before him had no problem with it.  The death penalty was widely practiced in Christendom with full Church approval.)
[right][snapback]632386[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While Mr. Bush was governor of Texas, the rate of people who died via death penalty was higher than the rest of the country. And yet crime was still extremely high. I think the usage there was extreme.

I guess as I'm in the JPII generation, I've always viewed the Church's position on the death penalty to be in accordance with JPII. If I'm leaving out the rest of history, forgive me.

But my position and opinion of Mr. Bush does not change.

And we've hijacked hot stuff's thread. I'm afraid he's going to flog us. :lol:

[quote]And we've hijacked hot stuff's thread. I'm afraid he's going to flog us. laugh.gif

[/quote]

Actually that is very pertinent. Who was Bush's advisor on Texas death penalty cases? Alberto Gonzalez.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jul 5 2005, 05:41 PM']Actually that is very pertinent.  Who was Bush's advisor on Texas death penalty cases?  Alberto Gonzalez.
[right][snapback]632405[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:) Thank you!

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 5 2005, 03:35 PM']While Mr. Bush was governor of Texas, the rate of people who died via death penalty was higher than the rest of the country.  And yet crime was still extremely high.  I think the usage there was extreme.

I guess as I'm in the JPII generation, I've always viewed the Church's position on the death penalty to be in accordance with JPII.  If I'm leaving out the rest of history, forgive me. 

But my position and opinion of Mr. Bush does not change.

And we've hijacked hot stuff's thread.  I'm afraid he's going to flog us.  :lol:
[right][snapback]632399[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ok, after this post I'll stop my hijacking, but I thought I'd point out that in medieval (Catholic) Europe, the death penalty was applied much more widely than in Texas under Bush (with approval from the Church).

For what St. Thomas Aquinas said about the death penalty, go [url="http://pewforum.org/deathpenalty/resources/reader/11.php3"]here.[/url]

[quote]Ok, after this post I'll stop my hijacking, but I thought I'd point out that in medieval (Catholic) Europe, the death penalty was applied much more widely than in Texas under Bush (with approval from the Church).[/quote]

Socrates, while you and I disagree over the death penalty thing, that post was really funny! It made me laugh out loud!

1337 k4th0l1x0r

If any pro-choicer is appointed to the supreme court, then the midterm elections will not be very pretty for the president or the entire republican party. You'll see a whole lot of people who will have lost faith in both major parties and there will be enough of an exodus of republican support to swing the democrats into the majority direction. By no means will I vote for a blatant pro-choicer, but I certainly will not be gung-ho about voting for someone who claims to be pro-life but really won't do anything about it. I'll probably vote a different party, or even start up my own :).

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jul 3 2005, 10:16 AM'][snip]
(I would have started a poll but I've demonstrated that I have absolutely no idea how to make one properly)
[right][snapback]630609[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
You are not alone... you are not alone....