An Old School Catholic Message Board

Long-distance Relationships

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

Has anyone else had a really successful long distance relationship? My best friend from high school is kinda far away (since she only lived a quick drive on the highway away - 10 mins about) and we're still really good friends. We dont really get to talk much since she's got a boyfriend and is into the sorority thing. Her big sis is like her new best friend and so we don't really have a lot of time to talk or even hang out. I haven't seen her at all since she's been home but she's still one of my best friends. I don't know how or why it works, it just does. I miss her but not like in a way that I think about it every second of the day or that longing feeling. I miss being able to spend a ton of time with her every day and laughing with her and all that good stuff but it doesn't seem to matter too terribly much because I know that we're friends and that I'll get to see her again sometime soon. I'm happy when I hear that she's having a good time or that something that was once going badly in her life has made a turn around. I rejoice and praise God when good things happen to her and I'm saddened when things aren't going her way.

Distance doesnt seem to harm us.

In the same respect, I have friends who were just lost when they moved away. We couldn't keep the same connection as when they lived near me and things I don't believe will ever be the same. So my question I guess is this: were they not real friends? I'm not against the idea, I know I've had false friends. Does the fact that we've never been the same weigh on how good a friend they really were or is it okay that we need to be able to see each other a lot to stay close?

How do these things work for yall?

lifeteenchick527

its really hard to keep a long distance friend for me just b/c iam so busy and stuff...but thats just me

God Bless
LTC :hearts:

Fidei Defensor

Yes. I had a really good friend in elementary school and middle school, then she had to move. Well i was never told where she went, but i eventually found her on the internet after 3 years, and now we talk every day on instant messenger. Its been about 2 years since i found her. Its been good.

sweetpea316

Meh, they are hard. But it all depends on how much effort the two people are willing to put into it.

franciscanheart

see thats the funny thing. my friend and i... her name is robin.... robin and i dont really talk at all and we hardly ever get to see each other so in that sense neither one of us puts in a whole lot of effort but we're still just as good of friends as we ever were.... its weird. :)

IcePrincessKRS

I've had a couple different kinds of long distance relationships. Matt and I had a long distance relationship and obviously it turned out well. ;) Also, all of my bestest friends live at least 5 hours away (well, one lives an hour away, but all the rest live further) and we still communicate regularly and its like old times when we get together--one girl even calls me almost every day!

Blackthorne

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Jul 11 2005, 04:21 PM']I've had a couple different kinds of long distance relationships. Matt and I had a long distance relationship and obviously it turned out well. ;) Also, all of my bestest friends live at least 5 hours away (well, one lives an hour away, but all the rest live further) and we still communicate regularly and its like old times when we get together--one girl even calls me almost every day!
[right][snapback]639760[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It never works out.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Blackthorne' date='Jul 11 2005, 04:25 PM']It never works out.
[right][snapback]639762[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are so totally right.

Brother Adam

Rock on. :rolling:

btw, welcome to phatmass Iceprincess' husband. ;)

Edited by Brother Adam

Blackthorne

I'll let you have everything east of the Nile and west of China. Ok... you can have china too. But I get Japan.

franciscanheart
:mellow: just because youre married to one of the coolest girls here doesnt mean i wont clobber you if you hijack my thread this early on.

Blackthorne

I'm sweating profusely. But that may just be the weather. So what was the original question?

Edited by Blackthorne