An Old School Catholic Message Board

conservative interpretation of scripture

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

I was just thinking about the last supper...........i have been skeptical about the bread representing body and wine representing blood. I have just come to the conclusion that it must be the actual body and blood of christ. I guess it just took a while to sink into my think skull. A fellow phatmasser/friend of mine told me a while a go that jesus would have said "this is a symbol of my body and a symbol of my blood" if it were trully a symbol. But he didnt. To interpret this as a symbol would be without logic furthermore would be a liberal interpretation. If you interpret anything liberally that jesus said.......you can twist the bible in anyway you choose. So what about revelations? Do we interpret this symbollically? Or any thing else in the bible?

In the Bible, when Jesus spoke in parables, if the crowd didn't understand, he would explain. but when he talked about how if no one ate of his flesh and drank of his blood, they would not have life in them, the crowd freaked out but he didn't explain it. therefore, he must have been speaking literally, however, yes, you do interpret Revelations symbollically since it was written to comfort Christians undergoing persecution

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Reminds me of something Theodore of Mopsuestia said in the 5th century:
[quote]"When [Christ] gave the bread [b]he did not say, 'This is the symbol of my body[/b],' but, 'This is my body.' In the same way, when he gave the cup of his blood [b]he did not say, '‘This is the symbol of my blood[/b],' but, 'This is my blood'; for he wanted us to look upon the [Eucharistic elements] after their reception of grace and the coming of the Holy Spirit not according to their nature, but receive them as they are, the body and blood of our Lord" (Catechetical Homilies 5:1 [A.D. 428]).[/quote]

infinitelord1

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jul 17 2005, 03:16 PM']In the Bible, when Jesus spoke in parables, if the crowd didn't understand, he would explain. but when he talked about how if no one ate of his flesh and drank of his blood, they would not have life in them, the crowd freaked out but he didn't explain it.  therefore, he must have been speaking literally, however, yes, you do interpret Revelations symbollically since it was written to comfort Christians undergoing persecution
[right][snapback]646547[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
how do you know this? is it documented history? Even if so.......the history of jesus wasnt started to be recorded until like 100 years after his death.

Fidei Defensor

[quote]"and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me. In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes. [b]Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.[/b] For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep."[/quote]
--1 Corinthians 11:24-30

Now note - when he speaks of bread, this does not automatically mean he meant physical bread. Jesus called himself the "bread of life", and we speak of recieveing our "daily bread" in the Our Father.

And I know of no bread that if you eat it while in sin, you eat yourself into damnation ;)

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 17 2005, 04:10 PM']how do you know this? is it documented history? Even if so.......the history of jesus wasnt started to be recorded until like 100 years after his death.
[right][snapback]646601[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Its in the Bible, and happens with many parables

Melchisedec

This is definitely a topic I want to revist when time permits. I've never quite grasped why we should eat christs flesh and blood.Sounds gross to me honestly.

basically, when Jesus gave us His Body and Blood, he was giving us the gift of Himself so we could be at One with Him, b/c like a couple is joined in the flesh through marriage, man's spirit is joined to God.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Jul 17 2005, 06:00 PM']This is definitely a topic I want to revist when time permits. I've never quite grasped why we should eat christs flesh and blood.Sounds gross to me honestly.
[right][snapback]646686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That is the reason he gave us his whole self under the appearences of bread and wine, so that we wouldnt be "grossed out" so to speak.

Mind you also, he never once 'explained' what He was saying to those in the synogogue. What Jesus was saying was and is literal. That is why so many said, "this is difficult".

He reiterated it 7 times. Look it up....7 times He repeated himself, saying it very literally. There was absolutely no symbolism there.

As a result, all of His diciples walked out except the 12.

Jesus wasnt kidding here. He meant what He said and said what He meant.

Pax

cmotherofpirl

Many of his followers got up and walked away when he said it was his flesh and blood. For the jews the blood is life and they were forbidden to consume it.

Do you think they would have done that over a symbol?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Jul 17 2005, 07:55 PM']He reiterated it 7 times.  Look it up....7 times He repeated himself, saying it very literally.  There was absolutely no symbolism there.
[right][snapback]646818[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Isnt 7 also the number that symbolizes perfection, like 7 days of the week that God created?

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jul 17 2005, 10:07 PM']Isnt 7 also the number that symbolizes perfection, like 7 days of the week that God created?
[right][snapback]646907[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup.

Maybe this will help.

[url="http://members.aol.com/SocratesMG/index10a.html"]the Believer's Test[/url]

It really digs into this particular subject.

Pax

infinitelord1

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Jul 17 2005, 06:00 PM']
This is definitely a topic I want to revist when time permits. I've never quite grasped why we should eat christs flesh and blood.Sounds gross to me honestly.
[right][snapback]646686[/snapback][/right]
[/qu
i would definetly eat jesus' flesh before i would eat yours