An Old School Catholic Message Board

a letter i am sending to my mom......

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

what do you think?

dear mom,

i was just thinking about everything weve been talking about and i thought that this analogy might help you.

imagine a girl and her parents. Whenever this girl went on trips with her parents in the car they would always speed and drive recklessly. Whenever her parents went anywhere in their car they would speed and drive recklessly. This happened as long as the girl could remember. As human beings a lot of times we act a lot like our parents and live by what we learned through life. What do you think the odds would be that this little girl would grow up into an adult and speed and drive recklessly? Its fair to say that most likely this little girl would end up speeding and driving recklessly when she grew up. Its unlikely, however definetly possible, that she would grow up and drive normally since she learned from her parents mistakes. Now lets say that she never learned from her parents mistakes. She turns 21 years old......she is barely financially stable.......she is, at this moment, being pulled over for the 40th time for speeding and driving recklessly. The last 39 times she was pulled over for this......she recieved violations which made it very hard for her, financially, to make ends meet. The officer approaches her vehicle and explains to her why she has been pulled over. She begins to cry.......pleading with the officer.......please dont give me a ticket. I wont be able to pay for it this time.....i am broke. As a human being, the officer begins to question his judgement. A few things are flashing in his mind........"i need to uphold the law.....there is no telling if this girl is telling the truth or not" the others........"if i dont give her a ticket........she may never learn her lesson once and for all"........."if i let her go and she doesnt learn her lesson.....she may get into an accident and cause harm to others.......so i need to give her this"..........."it must be so hard though.......unlike me....others struggle to make ends meet.......maybe i should just let this one slide". As you can see the officers judgement is being clouded by a few different things.

Now lets replace the officer with god in this certain instance.......the only difference in judgement would be that with god there is only one truth to things.....one way to handle the situation........even though he loves us all including his favorite son (lucifer).....he still does what is right. God hands her the ticket.

You see.......our whole purpose of existence is to realize how trully great love is. How do we do that? We suffer. We cant let things cloud our judgement.....we have to do what is right in order to stay on the right path.

Romans 1:22-32

choices.

Love,
your son,

Matt

Most excellent letter.

If you can take just a pinch of constructive criticism however, try not refering to Lucifer as God's favorite son (me thinks that might be Jesus...but that's just me)... try refering to him as God's fallen son or something to that affect..

Other than that... most excellent... you are a valiant man my friend... and brave.

("It takes a great of courage to stand up to your ennemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends" Gunbledor, Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone)

maybe i don't get it, but it doesn't seem to me to deal with homosexuality.

It is a very good letter though and makes a good point. :)

Your mom may not see the connection to homosexuality here. Something to consider.

Also, instead of Lucifer being God's favorite son, which he wasnt, you might instead state that Lucifer was one of God's most powerful angels and then chose self (sin) over God (love-justice-truth).
Even though God loved Lucifer, SIN cannot stand before GOD and so....out Lucifer went.

If you state at some point in the letter that this is how you feel (the driving recklessly) about her situation, ending it with the part about Lucifer, then she will understand perfectly what you are getting at.

Very good letter though, if I say so meself.

Will it be written or emailed.
It may be better if it is mailed. It will show you really put thought into it and meant it.

Let us know brother.

Pax

infinitelord1

my mom just gave me a phone call today.......i think she may want to talk to me about this whole god thing.......ill keep you all updated.......i may not send the letter afterall. I was going to mail it.

Good Friday

Personally, I didn't understand the letter, and I think it is profoundly disrespectful and possibly a sin against the fourth commandment to preach to your mother -- and in parables, no less!

infinitelord1

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jul 19 2005, 09:40 PM']Personally, I didn't understand the letter, and I think it is profoundly disrespectful and possibly a sin against the fourth commandment to preach to your mother -- and in parables, no less!
[right][snapback]650509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wow.........so we must look at our parents as living perfectly then? And if they arent......what do you do when you are concerned with what might come when they die? Just let them be? The church preaches that we should spread the truth to others.......not necessarily by hammering it into them but with love and compassion also. I bet you are not catholic. Oh you arent. Hmmm. well i guess its pointless to argue with you then.

Edited by infinitelord1

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 19 2005, 10:04 PM']Wow.........so we must look at our parents as living perfectly then? And if they arent......what do you do when you are concerned with what might come when they die? Just let them be? The church preaches that we should spread the truth to others.......not necessarily by hammering it into them but with love and compassion also. I bet you are not catholic. Oh you arent. Hmmm. well i guess its pointless to argue with you then.
[right][snapback]650542[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i bet you are jewish

Guest Eremite

[quote]Personally, I didn't understand the letter, and I think it is profoundly disrespectful and possibly a sin against the fourth commandment to preach to your mother -- and in parables, no less! [/quote]

Christ came to set mother against son, daughter-in-law against mother-in-law, brother against brother. The fourth commandment does not negate the spiritual acts of mercy, one of which is instructing the ignorant. What it requires is filial respect in so doing.

St. Francis admonished his worldly father, in word, but most importantly, in deed. A holy life is the best witness.

Our God is a God of Love. Do you think that because your Mom is a lesbian, she is loved any less by God? God is Love, Compassion, Forgiveness. I know that homosexuality is a controversial topic in the RC church, but I still believe that Jesus would never have turned away your Mom. He came to earth for sinners not for the righteous. The only people who made him angry were hypocrites. If you can offer your Mom love and compassion I think you will be helping her more that you'll ever know.

MilesChristi

[quote]I still believe that Jesus would never have turned away your Mom. He came to earth for sinners not for the righteous.[/quote]

This true. Jesus welcomes all sinners. No one who seeks His mercy is turned away; however, acceptance of Jesus' forgiveness demands change in our lives. He says, "Your sins are forgiven," but that is not all. This is closely followed by the command, "Go and sin no more." Moved by a desire to respond to His love, and aided by grace, we are called to make a complete turn away from sin to more fully give ourselves to God.

[quote]The only people who made him angry were hypocrites. [/quote]

He also had strong words for those who obstinately persisted in their sins, refusing to repent:

13: "Woe to you, Chora'zin! woe to you, Beth-sa'ida! for if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
14: But it shall be more tolerable in the judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you.
15: And you, Caper'na-um, will you be exalted to heaven? You shall be brought down to Hades.
16: "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."
(Luke 10:13-16)