An Old School Catholic Message Board

a letter i am sending to my mom......

infinitelord1

didn't we ask people to not refer to catholics as "RC Church"? <_<

its confusing and insulting to those who are not in the Latin rite but are still very much catholic (ie. todd! :P: ;), etc! )

Edited by kateri05

infinitelord1

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 27 2005, 06:03 PM']infinatelord1, why do you suggest that you, yourself, are Jewish??  :blink:
[right][snapback]661767[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i wasnt serious but i could see that he wasnt catholic.........i figured he was protestant or jewish or something i dont know.

homeschoolmom

Yeah, but you quote yourself... who were you asking? Go back and look at the thread...

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jul 19 2005, 11:40 PM']Personally, I didn't understand the letter, and I think it is profoundly disrespectful and possibly a sin against the fourth commandment to preach to your mother -- and in parables, no less!
[right][snapback]650509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's not disrespectful at all. Maybe you speak out of anger? Did you have the courage to say something to your mother or did she get mad and are you angery because she made you choose? Or something else? You shouldn't stand in the way of someone trying to help their mother.

[b]St. Luke 12:51 [/b]
[color=red]Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. [/color]
[b]52 [/b][color=red]From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; [/color]
[b]53 [/b][color=red]a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.[/color]

Matt,
Nate might not be the best person to listen to in this case. Your letter sounds good, but it's great that your mother called you asking about God. Here is a great article that you might want to refer her to...

The Reasons to Believe...
[url="http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0002.html"]http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apol...ics/ap0002.html[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Jul 27 2005, 01:56 PM']Our God is a God of Love. Do you think that because your Mom is a lesbian, she is loved any less by God? God is Love, Compassion, Forgiveness. I know that homosexuality is a controversial topic in the RC church, but I still believe that Jesus would never have turned away your Mom. He came to earth for sinners not for the righteous. The only people who made him angry were hypocrites. If you can offer your Mom love and compassion I think you will be helping her more that you'll ever know.
[right][snapback]661054[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why do you think that?

Can you please show us. Scritpure, Catechism, and Church Fathers is what is needed.

Is it wise to make God up yourself? That is what it sounds like to me. Things you speak are not Catholic. Do you think that you are Catholic?

We are to question our faith, and find answers from the Church about it. Not come up with answers out of thin air... or even our own reasoning. There is always an answer with the Church, you just have to know where to look or who to ask.

Again, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but I am trying to get you to think about it in a different light. I ask if you think I'm wrong, please show me with Scripture, Catechism, and Early Church Father writings and I will change my opinion to match the Catholic Faith if I am wrong about it.

God Bless,
ironmonk

God's Errand Girl

I'm confused...isn't Jesus God's favorie Son?? After all, God did powerfully command that Jesus was his beloved Son when he was baptized in the Jordan. Plus, I'm not really sure what you are trying to convey with the sentence about lucifer...it seems like it doesn't fit with the rest of your analogy.

[quote name='God's Errand Girl' date='Jul 28 2005, 01:33 AM']I'm confused...isn't Jesus God's favorie Son??  After all, God did powerfully command that Jesus was his beloved Son when he was baptized in the Jordan.  Plus, I'm not really sure what you are trying to convey with the sentence about lucifer...it seems like it doesn't fit with the rest of your analogy.
[right][snapback]662085[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think he meant that before the fall that Lucifer was his favorite angel... but Lucifer decided that he didn't want to serve God and rejected God... even though God loved him, God had to do what was necessary.

Jesus is God's only begotten son... Jesus is God...

All of God's creations are also his sons.

Does that help?

God Bless,
ironmonk

God's Errand Girl

Yes, you helped ironmonk. But my concern does show how important your wording should be when you are trying to communicate an important point.

Thanks for the clarification.

Good Friday

To clarify, I'm still Catholic. I can't help what the administrators of this board put next to my name, anymore than you all can help when the administrators of the Baptist Board expel you because they don't believe you're Christians.

I would be honored, however, to be called a Jew. :D:

Ironmonk -- None of what you said actually happened, but thanks for assuming.

ForHimAlone

How hard that must be to see your mother living that sort of lifestyle! Know that you show the truest love for your mother by being concerned about the wellbeing of her soul. It's a very brave thing to stand up to one's parents, but in situations like this, it is necessary to say something. Just always use charity in everything. This is obviously a very delicate issue for your mother, but remain firm and compassionate. God bless you!