An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy of the Hours

littleflower+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

do all religious orders pray the Liturgy of the Hours?

i know its like required for priests and the Pink Sisters by me pray them but I'm curious to know if all of them pray them......

i was just thinking of those that may be different, like not-cloisered or something might be different, who live within the community.....

i love the liturgy of the hours and I've heard one should learn it if they were heading to the religious vocation, (even though all of us should l be praying it, religious or not)

so yeah.....im just curious about this....

i think all priests are bound to pray the Divine Office... And I think, from what I have seen, all religious orders pray the LoTH in one form or another....

The Norbertiens own rights to the music within the Liturgy of the hours, and the pray them daily, morning, evening, night, all there!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

All religious orders should be praying the Liturgy of the Hours... they might not be praying all of them, but they should be

photosynthesis

I think it's beautiful when orders sing the Liturgy of the Hours.

I have a copy of "Christian Prayer," which is a shortened version of Liturgy of the Hours for laypeople. It has morning prayer, midday prayer, evening prayer and night prayer. The trouble is, I just don't know how to pray it. It's so confusing!!! I wish someone would teach me how.

FutureSoror

I have "Christian Prayer" too, and I think I finally have it pretty much all figured out! Do you have the Catholic Book Publishing Company's edition? If so, I could send you a PM with the run-down including page numbers, if you like.

photosynthesis

I have the Pauline Books & Media (daughters of st. paul) version. It's the same text, but i think with different page numbers...maybe?

mariology21

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:54 PM']I have the Pauline Books & Media (daughters of st. paul) version.  It's the same text, but i think with different page numbers...maybe?
[right][snapback]662014[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is the same one I have too. For the past few weeks I've started to seriously pray it. I LOVE it. (Although I hate to admit....some days especially these past few days, I haven't gotten in both morning and evening prayer. I try to do at least ONE.) And this time since I've started it, I haven't let myself not do it if I "skip" one for a day. A few times in the past I've stopped doing it because I felt guilty that I didn't get it all in in one day. But I try my hardest!

Anyway...I think I've finally gotten it down. If you can't find the different page numbers or you want help, just PM me and I'd be happy to help! Or at least get you started with where you should be for this time of the week!!

:)

~Jen

I think that most of them if not praying all of it they do pray certain parts. yah know since besides the mass it is the official prayer of the church

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:59 PM']
The trouble is, I just don't know how to pray it.  It's so confusing!!!  I wish someone would teach me how.
[right][snapback]661939[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you find anyone send them my way. I am having the same problem as you. I JUST HAD A THOUGHT (first one this week :) ) I am going to my parish to ask if anyone is doing it. I can't possibly be the only one.

i have the shorter version -- i now wish, though, that it had the complete readings for the OOR.... but I suppose u can't have everything. :idontknow: nevertheless, it is a magnificent practice -- i mean LOTH -- it is, afterall, the prayer of the Church..... the prayerbook of Christ was the psalms

mariology21

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Jul 30 2005, 05:19 PM']i have the shorter version -- i now wish, though, that it had the complete readings for the OOR.... but I suppose u can't have everything.  :idontknow: nevertheless, it is a magnificent practice -- i mean LOTH -- it is, afterall, the prayer of the Church..... the prayerbook of Christ was the psalms
[right][snapback]665620[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have the shorter one too. I'm "trying it out" to make sure that I can do it and keep it up for a few months. I figure I'll ask for the full set for Christmas.

But for now I'm content using the shorter version. It's helping me learn and get it down pat. Before I get even more to do!!!

~Jen

• 3 weeks later...

I AM IN LOVE :P: I AM IN LOVE :P: DID I MENTION I AM IN LOVE?

I found someone (a nun) who taught me how to pray the Christian Prayer. I now understand it, it is beautiful. I have been praying it for a week now. AND I AM IN LOVE WITH IT.

Beg, plead, promise, threaten (no, not the last one) until you can find someone to help you learn it, It is worth it. It only took me about 5 minutes to understand it.

I am going to research. I think there are sites on the Internet that teach you how. When I find them, I will list them.

Hang on, help is on the way. Don't give up.