An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy of the Hours

littleflower+JMJ

I agree, it is definitely worth it!!! I prayed Morning and Evening Prayer during my two years of college, but only recently (since May, I think, when I got the full LotH set), I've been adding on the Office of Readings and Night Prayer...

Sr. Joseph Andrew, of the [url="http://www.sistersofmary.org"]SMME[/url], reminded us pre-postulants that the Liturgy of the Hours is the prayer of the Church. It flows out of the Mass. It is SO amazing, and I'm coming to a greater realization daily how interconnected the Mass and the Divine Office are. And how true it is that each time you pray the Divine Office, you revisit the Mass, each of which of course is the greatest act ever to occur on earth!!! Wow!!!!

I know the Cistercians chant all the Hours of the Divine Office in Cistercian Latin chant. They start with the first Hour at 3:40 A.M and come back six more times throughout the day for the Liturgy of the Hours.

I have the four-volume, but I learned how to pray it with the Daughters of St. Paul, so I started with the Pauline version. I like both. At first I couldn't do the four-volume by my self very sufficiently, but between what I learned from the PCPA's (who use the three-volume), and the Daughters of St. Paul, I think I've finally got the four-volume down. But I agree with Jen, it gets overwhelming sometimes so I just give up sometimes for a couple weeks. But if I make my goal to at least get Morning or Evening prayer in, it works all right.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:27 PM']I AM IN LOVE  :P:  I AM IN LOVE :P:  DID I MENTION I AM IN LOVE?
I found someone (a nun) who taught me how to pray the Christian Prayer.  I now understand it, it is beautiful.  I have been praying it for a week now.  AND I AM IN LOVE WITH IT. 

Beg, plead, promise, threaten (no, not the last one) until you can find someone to help you learn it, It is worth it.  It only took me about 5 minutes to understand it. 

I am going to research. I think there are sites on the Internet that teach you how. When I find them, I will list them.

Hang on, help is on the way. Don't give up.
[right][snapback]685740[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have what I call the "cheat book." It's the guide to the Liturgy of the Hours that they publish every year that tells you exactly what page to be on. I keep it set on the four week psalter, but sometimes I don't have enough time to go through and set it for the feast days/memorials, so I just look up the page numbers. It's really fast and easy that way.

All For Jesus

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 16 2005, 10:02 AM']I have what I call the "cheat book." It's the guide to the Liturgy of the Hours that they publish every year that tells you exactly what page to be on. I keep it set on the four week psalter, but sometimes I don't have enough time to go through and set it for the feast days/memorials, so I just look up the page numbers. It's really fast and easy that way.
[right][snapback]686523[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Are you talking about the Ordo (St. Joseph's Guide)? I have that!

cmotherofpirl

Go to savior.org [click under devotions]
or universalis.com and you can pray it online til you get the hang of it.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 17 2005, 12:01 PM']Go to savior.org [click under devotions]
[right][snapback]687782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is a good idea, that and the Guide you can buy. I did all that but it "didn't come together for me" until I found someone I could bounce it off of. This is where community comes in.

I had an opportunity while I was at Marytown to say it with the Friars. I am home now praying it by myself, I much prefer praying it with a community. There is just more OOMPH to it I feel.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 17 2005, 12:01 PM']Go to savior.org [click under devotions]
[right][snapback]687782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention this when I posted my answer yesterday.

I LIKE YOUR STYLE. Your answers are loving, compassionate and well thought out. I have alot to learn from you. Keep up the good work.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Aug 18 2005, 08:52 AM']Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention this when I posted my answer yesterday.

I LIKE YOUR STYLE. Your answers are loving, compassionate and well thought out.  I have alot to learn from you.  Keep up the good work.
[right][snapback]688802[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you for the compliment :) , but its undeserved, I'm just an internet mom.

• 2 months later...
franciscanheart

i dont understand why more lay people dont pray Liturgy of the Hours. i :love: it. who wouldnt? i wish more people knew about it and were introduced to it earlier in life so that they might stick with it! so beautiful!