An Old School Catholic Message Board

Third Orders

mariology21

mariology21

I'm discerning whether to join a Third Order (Seriously considering Third Order Carmelite....although also possibly the Dominicans....still praying hard.)

Is anyone else a member of a Third Order? Or have ever thought about becoming one?

Just curious! :)

~Jen

[quote name='mariology21' date='Jul 30 2005, 02:16 PM']Is anyone else a member of a Third Order? Or have ever thought about becoming one?

Just curious!  :)

~Jen
[right][snapback]665437[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have been a Secular Franciscan (third order) for 18 years. Don't ask me how I did it I come from a CROP :( of Carmelites.

My mom, Aunt Rosemary and grandfather were all Third Order Carmeltes. My mom is still alive and living the life of a Carmelite.

I am proud of her. She has done that all while raising EIGHT children.

Edited by ofpheritup

mariology21

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 30 2005, 04:42 PM']I have been a Secular Franciscan (third order) for 18 years. Don't ask me how I did it I come from a CROP  :(  of Carmelites.

My mom, Aunt Rosemary and grandfather were all Third Order Carmeltes. My mom is still alive and living the life of a Carmelite.

I am proud of her. She has done that all while raising EIGHT children.
[right][snapback]665575[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

God Bless her!!! I want 9 children God willing. Maybe I'll be able to do it while living the life of a Carmelite too!! :)

~Jen

[quote name='mariology21' date='Jul 30 2005, 03:48 PM']God Bless her!!! I want 9 children God willing. Maybe I'll be able to do it while living the life of a Carmelite too!!  :)

~Jen
[right][snapback]665584[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hello again. My mom did do it for years while raising the kids. She had the support (spiritually) of her sister and dad. It was like the had their own little community.

The secret to a large family is EVERYONE DOES THEIR FAIR SHARE. Even the youngest can contribute something. And should be expected to.

She had a schedule of who did what. The older ones helped take care of the younger ones.

We were held accountable. We were taught responsibility. And the youngest one in the family didn't get to use the excuse I'M THE BABY. She helped as much as any of us.

Today we range in age of 54 to 39 I think? It is hard keeping up with who is what. I KNOW HOW OLD I AM.

mariology21

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 30 2005, 05:11 PM']Today we range in age of 54 to 39 I think? It is hard keeping up with who is what. I KNOW HOW OLD I AM.
[right][snapback]665614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haha...that's all that matters!!

How many grandchildren does your mom have? Christmas's must be WONDERFUL!!!!!!

I'm blessed to be good friends with someone who has 7 children. Just watching them is giving me ideas :) There's also a family at work who has 8 children and another family who has 11. I LOVE seeing the large families!!! I'm praying God blesses me with a large family someday too!!

~Jen

I have considered Third Order of Carmelites, but where I live now it would not be possible.

Hmm, must add that to the criteria of the house-hunt.

[quote name='philothea' date='Jul 30 2005, 10:35 PM']I have considered Third Order of Carmelites, but where I live now it would not be possible.

Hmm, must add that to the criteria of the house-hunt.
[right][snapback]665859[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why wouldn't it be possible?

If you are thinking that you need to live around others who are also Third Order I don't believe that is true. I would encourage to follow up on your desire.

My mother is now nowhere near anyone who is also TO.

I knew a woman in my area who was considered an ISOLATED Carmelite. The nearest member to her was three hours away. She simply lived the life on her own but did keep in contact by phone and mail. This was before the Internet. She also attended the yearly conference.

If I don't ending up joining a religious order, I will become a Third Order Dominican like that *snaps fingers*.

:twist:

Laudate_Dominum

My mum is a 3rd order Carmellite!

I would like to join a 3rd order some day.. we'll see.

I only want to join a third order if I do not enter a convent. Well, if I was a 3rd order in a convent....that wouldn't make much sense...

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 31 2005, 05:35 AM']Why wouldn't it be possible?

If you are thinking that you need to live around others who are also Third Order I don't believe that is true. I would encourage to follow up on your desire.

My mother is now nowhere near anyone who is also TO.

I knew  a woman in my area who was considered an ISOLATED Carmelite.  The nearest member to her was three hours away.  She simply lived the life on her own but did keep in contact by phone and mail.  This was before the Internet. She also attended the yearly conference.
[right][snapback]666033[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hmm.

I recall (vaguely) that last time I looked into the Third Order Carmelites, joining involved meeting with a director, and... some other in-person stuff. So, being the determined person I am, I got depressed and stopped looking :rolleyes:

I will look again. Thanks for the encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering joining the Secular Franciscan Order, but the group I met with didn't seem to be doing anything but going over finances and talking about other meetings. My idea was to join a group that not only prayed but did some kind of social work -like St. Francis of Assisi. Eventually I lost interest. But I still love the Franciscans, and the Dominicans too.