An Old School Catholic Message Board

Third Orders

mariology21

Secular Franciscans are great if you follow the Constitutions, as far as I know. I know a couple who just joined the third order at EWTN which is taken very seriously there. It was a process of important discernment for them to even make the decision that they were ready to make this kind of change in their life. So myabe if you keep searching you'll be able to find a truly authentic community of lay Franciscans. There is a group at our Church that does a lot of work in the pro-life movement and for the upkeep of the church. I'll pray for you!

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Aug 11 2005, 05:29 PM']I was considering joining the Secular Franciscan Order, but the group I met with didn't seem to be doing anything but going over finances and talking about other meetings.  My idea was to join a group that not only prayed but did some kind of social work -like St. Francis of Assisi. Eventually I lost interest. But I still love the Franciscans, and the Dominicans too.
[right][snapback]682510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I UNDERSTAND..... I have spent the majority of my time as a Secular Franciscan by myself although I live 15 minutes away from a fraternity meeting.

If it wasn't the politics, it was the gossiping and backbiting. It was the attitude of just show up, keep your mouth shut and don't need us for anything.

For me it really started (years ago) when a new Council was elected.
Rules, constitution and by-laws pretty much got thrown out they did what they wanted.

I have recently started attending the meetings again. The people on the Council have changed. Although the majority of the attitudes are still there. They don't seem to be interested in changing.

I don't know how much longer I will be going.

My greatest disappointment is with the National Council, I have received next to no help from them.

I am pretty much of the opinion that I will do it on my own.

IT'S GREAT WHEN IT WORKS, and hell when it doesn't.

Birgitta Noel

I'm going to become an Oblate in the Community of St. John on December 27th (the feast of St. John) of this year.

It's been a long road, but Mary waited patiently for me to come join her at the foot of the cross with her son John.

:saint:

franciscanheart

im looking for a secular fransiscan order in my area. i cant find any information on it at all and i really want to. any ideas?

im still really back and forth about my vocation, which is okay because i have lots of time still, and i want to have as much info as i can in order to truly understand what God is asking of me.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Aug 18 2005, 10:09 AM']im looking for a secular fransiscan order  in my area. i cant find any information on it at all and i really want to.  any ideas?
[right][snapback]688912[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Call 1-800-FRANCIS or put a search on the Internet for National Fraternity of the Secular Franciscan Order.

A bit of advice if in your area there is more than one fraternity I would suggest visitng them all. You want to take your time in discovering which one suits your personality.

Believe me, it makes a difference.

Edited by ofpheritup

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Aug 18 2005, 08:47 AM']Call 1-800-FRANCIS  or put a search on the Internet for National Fraternity of the Secular Franciscan Order.

A bit of advice if in your area there is more than one fraternity I would suggest visitng them all.  You want to take your time in discovering which one suits your personality. 

Believe me, it makes a difference.
[right][snapback]688946[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with the above post! Check out more than one, definitely. You would be surprised at the differences.

franciscanheart

thanks for the response. ive looked at the site and am interested in finding one close. im not sure there will be but we'll see. im also interested in the carmelite third order.

right now im just kinda looking around.

HUm, Thrid Orders communities!!!!!!!!!! I know one and have kinda loved there from time to time!!!!!!!!! of course it is a convnet. they are the Thrid Order fo St. Francis in East peoria, ILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theya re a small order but a very nice order as well!!!!!!!!! Even though i dont belong to them, I am allowed to wonder around as if i am!!!!!!!!! The vd always tells me to just coem rigth in but make sure they know i have there. The convent grounds is so small i know it very well like my own home but they live on a very nice property with tons of walking area, a huge pond, a cemetary in the back and just nothing but quietness!!!!!!!!! I get along with the Sister very well!!!!!!!!!!

if youre insterested in knowing more, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!