An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purgatory

qfnol31

I want to know what troubles you about Purgatory. :) Be honest, if you wouldn't mind, and frank. :)

And if Catholics wish to post in here, please stay away from Holy Writ (Scripture) and the Catechism, as well as any apologetics authors. I ask this because I don't want this to become apologetics, which I feel will eventually be the downfall of "ecumenism" anyways, and I want to have an honest discussion. Thanks! :)

homeschoolmom

While it's all logical and makes sense, it freaks me out because it is contrary to the way I was taught for my whole lifetime.

Also, the idea of indulgences cutting off the length of stay seems weird...

Okay, that's my late-night confession...

It's a hard idea to come to grasp...I'm reading an excellent book on it though!

I have found some ideas in there I would like to share. :)

homeschoolmom

<sigh> my lone opinion is not enough to continue the conversation...

Patience, HSM... Others will comment and then you can know...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:36 AM']If you elaborate more, we can begin there.  :)
[right][snapback]685355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I could... I have a feeling, however, that if I did at this late hour it would be completely incoherant and I would come off looking like Mrs. Coo-coo Bananas.... Maybe after a few hours of sleep...

goldenchild17

I understand it okay and believe it completely but I am not the best at defending it Scripturally or from the early Fathers. Any insight on that would be helpful.

It always struck me as odd because it doesn't seem like you could do something only minorly bad to get you there. All sorts of things can get you sent to hell (or so they tell me), but purgatory is just for the marginally bad... or something. It sounds like God was trying to stop a loophole... like since He didn't come out and say such and such is hell worthy He'll just make you do the purgatory thing for a while. It's just kinda wierd, though I do kinda like the idea at the same time...

infinitelord1

I dont thknk the bible really talks about it enough for it to exist. My friend gave me some catholic website that provided scripture supporting purgatory (according to the catholic church). Most of these verses didnt convicne me at all. I like to tthink purgatory exists however. I dont believe it would be for people who were troubled though. I think it would be for people who had never heard the truth about god and jesus christ that were good people.

goldenchild17

Yeah well if we commit a sin but do not completely separate ourselves from God then He is not going to condemn us. But we also know from Scripture that nothing impure can enter heaven. So if we die with some sin, or effects of sin on our soul we need to be purified before entering God's presence.

[quote name='track2004' date='Aug 15 2005, 02:25 AM']It always struck me as odd because it doesn't seem like you could do something only minorly bad to get you there.  All sorts of things can get you sent to hell (or so they tell me), but purgatory is just for the marginally bad... or something.  It sounds like God was trying to stop a loophole... like since He didn't come out and say such and such is hell worthy He'll just make you do the purgatory thing for a while.  It's just kinda wierd, though I do kinda like the idea at the same time...
[right][snapback]685375[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

St. Catherine of Genoa says that the soul actually chooses Purgatory, for it is too ashamed to stand before God with impurities. She says that it would be a punishment 10 times worse for the soul to see itself before God with the impurities from sin than it would suffer in Purgatory itself.

Also, Fr. Faber (the author of the book I'm reading) talks about how if you wish to purify gold, you heat it amongst itself so that all that is left is the gold (24 karat), though that may come from St. Catherine as well. For the soul to be purified, it cannot be in front of God, but must be purified amongst itself...if that makes sense.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 15 2005, 02:31 AM']I dont thknk the bible really talks about it enough for it to exist. My friend gave me some catholic website that provided scripture supporting purgatory (according to the catholic church). Most of these verses didnt convicne me at all.  I like to tthink purgatory exists however. I dont believe it would be for people who were troubled though. I think it would be for people who had never heard the truth about god and jesus christ that were good people.
[right][snapback]685376[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.

1) Are you Catholic? I'm just curious. :)

2) Would you be interested in reading some that has very little to do with Holy Writ itself?