RC_ Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 (edited) [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_en_mo/people_brosnan;_ylt=AogM2Y5UjFiK98WCNyWOhfus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-"]Worst James Bond actor in history finally gets fired. Decent films to follow.[/url] edit: [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050817/ap_en_mo/people_brosnan;_ylt=AngsCcQtN6GxKeIlCKpN0HWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-"]Corrected Link[/url] (hopefully this one will work) Edited August 17, 2005 by RC_
Lil Red Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 Sean Connery was the best. The worst was Pierce Brosnan. BTW, your link isn't working.
crusader1234 Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 I personally liked Roger Moore. James Bond, I think, is supposed to be a little cheesy. Sean Connery really set the precedent, though, I guess. I think Pierce Brosnan really looked like what 'James Bond' looks like, but he lacked the charisma of Connery & Moore. Lazenby stunk it up and Dalton had almost no redeeming qualities either.
Didacus Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 Sean Connery by 'no contest' land-slide. and your link still isn't working.
RC_ Posted August 17, 2005 Author Posted August 17, 2005 [url="http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/08/17/Arts/brosnan_bond_20050817.html"]I hate yahoo news. Try this one. [/url]
Guest дані
 Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 In my opinion, they were all excellent Bonds with the exception of George Lazenby. OHMSS was a well written Bond with a good story, Lazenby brought down that movie. My favorite was Roger Moore...
Laudate_Dominum Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 Connery followed by Moore. The other fellows stunk.
matt_in_ohio Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 I liked Roger Moore, but the first movies I saw were "For Your Eyes Only," "Octopussy," and "Moonraker." I've always had a theory that, for most people, your favorite was the first one that you saw. And I didn't think Pierce was all THAT bad!!! But that's just me... Matt.
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 [quote name='matt_in_ohio' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:35 PM']And I didn't think Pierce was all THAT bad!!! But that's just me... Matt. [right][snapback]688137[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Same here. lol Personally it wasn't Brosnan that irked me, it was his costars. UGH! Given the article, though, and how he felt about the role I can see why he may not have been the best Bond out there.
Fidei Defensor Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 I personally think Brosnan was okay. Connery is the best, of course. Its unfortunate though for this next film, because they are not using an Aston Martin, as was planned. They are using some off the wall italian car instead.
matt_in_ohio Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 [quote name='fidei defensor' date='Aug 17 2005, 08:15 PM']I personally think Brosnan was okay. Connery is the best, of course. Its unfortunate though for this next film, because they are not using an Aston Martin, as was planned. They are using some off the wall italian car instead. [right][snapback]688177[/snapback][/right] [/quote] The use / non use of cars has to do with the people involved at the car companies, and the politics of marketing tie-ins and big-budget films. I remember reading that when Golden Eye came out, one of the VPs at BMW reached out to the movie studio to use the film to help introduce BMW's new Z3. That VP stayed with BMW and the Bond films through the next three movies (where we saw a new 7-series, and the Z8). Then that VP was hired by Ford to design a new car, which became the Lincoln LS (which, if you look at it, looks a LOT like a BMW 3-series). Since Ford owns Aston Martin now, and since that VP still had his relationship with the movie studio, the Aston Martin was used. So was a Jaguar (which, for those who don't know, is ALSO owned by Ford). And Halley's character drove a new Thunderbird. Now that VP has been fired by Ford for other reasons. Hence, the need for a new car. This is part of the reason why I didn't like some of the newer James Bond movies, and a lot of new movies in general. Sometimes they felt like one big commercial. There were the tie ins with the cars. Then the razors. Then the watches. The list goes on. It was more about the studio getting money from product placements than making good movies. Also, I thought that Pierce was good, but that they didn't use him right. I remember seeing him on Remington Steele, and he played that smooth, sophisticated character very well. But in the Bond movies, it was all action, explosions, suspense and gore. It could have been Bruce Willis playing the part, except for the fact that it would then have to have "Die Hard" somewhere in the title! But that's what audiences want now. Explosions and gore sell. Most people can't stand to sit through two hours of good dialog if nothing gets blown up or no one gets killed!!! And while there was always action before, I never thought that the action came at the sacrifice of a good plot. That my opinion though. Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now Matt.
azaelia Posted August 17, 2005 Posted August 17, 2005 I liked Tim Dalton, personally. There are rumors [url="http://www.gerard-butler.net/4images/data/media/321/Bild1.jpg"]Gerard Butler[/url] may be the next Bond.
Old_Joe Posted August 18, 2005 Posted August 18, 2005 It's kinda hard to pick George or Tim since they made so few movies.
1337 k4th0l1x0r Posted August 18, 2005 Posted August 18, 2005 The Brosnan Bond movies were for the most part badly written and executed. He never seemed to be all that into the Bond character. And he definitely wasn't as smooth as Connery at his one liners, but Connery's one-liners were much better to begin with. A good, or rather bad, example is the 'Christmas only comes once a year?' comment at the end of The World Is Not Enough. With writing like that, how can anyone pull off James Bond in the last several movies. And the trend started with the Dalton movies.
Lounge Daddy Posted August 18, 2005 Posted August 18, 2005 wow - i always felt that Brosnon was the best Bond since Connery and it was my understanding that he was a favorite to take the role before Dalton - but he could not take the role because of contract issues (remington steel) Moore was too cheesy and not true to charecter - but some of that it due to the direction and writing i also remember in past interviews with Brosnon he talked of the last few Bond films as hopefully his last - he was waiting for EON Productions to find the next Bond ...and he kept getting talked into "just one more" untill they found the next actor
Lounge Daddy Posted August 18, 2005 Posted August 18, 2005 my favorite Bond official gossip [url="http://www.ianfleming.org/index.shtml"]HERE - 'Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"[/url]
White Knight Posted August 18, 2005 Posted August 18, 2005 As much as I can't stand James Bond anymore I have to say, Timonthy Dalton was the ABSOLUTE Worst James Bond Ever, the films he played in as Bond were BORING, To this day I haven't seen all of Timothy Dalton's films as Bond. Ive seen part of them but not all, I just can't take him seriously. Perice Brosan is probally the Third Best Bond. Sean Connery, Roger Moore are the best. Sean Overall beats Roger.
crusader1234 Posted August 18, 2005 Posted August 18, 2005 I think its true that the first bond you see is the bond that sticks with you. I first saw Goldeneye, which explains why I think Brosnan looks the part.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now