Andrea348 Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 starting my first year as a teacher this year....sooooo nervous.....so much still to do....my first day is sept 1st, the kids come the day after labor day
Old_Joe Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 I'm not ready. This semester is going to be rough I think.
RC_ Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 [quote name='annie' date='Aug 22 2005, 03:19 PM']Bro Adam, you are a teacher? Bless your ever-lovin' soul, my hat is off to all teachers, so grateful they take my kids...... Anyone out there a special ed teacher??? 100000 times the gratitude from me! [right][snapback]694449[/snapback][/right] [/quote] The director of special ed at my schools were former students, I think... I had to go to the "special ed trailer" for speech therapy every Thursday after lunch of an hour. When I got to junior high, she had me scheduled for special ed every day--not for speech therapy, but in the general special ed class for a period every day. It took half a semester for my parents to get things sorted out. The director at my JR High insisted it wasn't a mistake, but the special ed teacher was like, "What's Rob doing here? He's smart and a good student." Discrimination smells of elderberries. I sincerly beleive that they saw a deaf, brown student in a wheelchair, and automatically thought I needed special help.
annie Posted August 23, 2005 Author Posted August 23, 2005 RC-- that must have been an awkward time-- how confusing! My son is special ed, ADHD, LD and speech delay. He has had a lot of help over the years, some great and some not-so-great. He is classic with the 'learned helplessness' and milks it for all it's worth, but also has genuine LD needs, not to mention inattentive/hyperactive issues. He truly is an enigma! Every teacher who has ever had him has said, " in the blank years I have been teaching I have never seen a kid like this" He has motor delays, but an amazing memory, has poor inferential thinking but will remind you of your best-friend's sister's birthday. It is frustrating, but at least he is a good, kind, and friendly.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted August 23, 2005 Posted August 23, 2005 I don't move in until the 29th... and all my WYD pilgrim buddies all start school today when we got back at 8pm last night from Belgium Bwah ha ha ha!
RC_ Posted August 24, 2005 Posted August 24, 2005 Annie-- It was very akward. At least I wasn't put in the "Life Skills" (for the retarded kids)"class though. (Although it might have been easier to get out of). My brother, who's autistic and has other cognitive delays, is like your son. He remembers every special date. He's my very own walking calender.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now