Center for Law and Policy

Press Release

California Supreme Court Redefines Family

American Family Association
P.O. Drawer 2440
Tupelo, MS 38803
1-662-680-3886

For Immediate Release: 8/22/2005

Tupelo, MS - In three separate cases raising fundamental issues as to what makes a family and who qualifies as a parent, the California Supreme Court today ruled in each case that a child may legally have two mothers.

In Elisa B. v. Superior Court, the court held that a lesbian who had agreed to raise the children born to her partner, but then split up with her partner, was required to pay child support for the children as a parent. In K.M. v. E.G., the court held that the existence of a written waiver of rights was no bar to a lesbian woman who had donated ova to her partner to assist in an in vitro fertilization asserting rights as a parent. And in Kristine H. v. Lisa R., the court found that a stipulation signed by the natural mother conferred a legal right to her lesbian partner to exercise the role of a parent over the child.

?The California Supreme Court is determined not to be outdone in the aggressive fashioning of new social policy under the guise of deciding legal cases,? commented Stephen Crampton, Chief Counsel for the AFA Center for Law & Policy, which has endorsed a proposed state constitutional amendment defining marriage in California. ?These cases, read together, demonstrate beyond question the social and political agenda of the court. They have little or nothing to do with law,? Crampton said.

?The arrogance of the California court in attempting to redefine the family by the mere stroke of a pen is nothing short of extraordinary,? Crampton observed. ?If the people do not stand up and let their voices be heard, the courts will continue to take over every aspect of our lives. It is time to speak out and rein in this runaway judiciary,? Crampton counseled.

The Center for Law & Policy is the legal arm of the American Family Association, Inc. It specializes in constitutional litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country, including numerous same sex marriage cases.

once again examples of liberal social policy in America being forced on the American people without their consent. Look at every single liberal social policy you can think of and find one, ONE, that has been passed by Congress. I'm not talking about states like HI and MA legalizing gay "marriage" but the actual United States Congress. The social agenda of the left is so far out of the mainstream it is not even funny. It is absolutely CRUCIAL to get John Roberts confirmed to SCOTUS. Furthermore, we have to pray that Ruth Bader Ginsburg resigns within the next three years as well as William Rehnquist. President Bush has done a fantastic job of appointing social conservatives to the federal bench. Trust me, I know. I worked for the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Our side must win the courts. We have already won the public. We are the silent majority. Just look at last year's elections and see how the amendments to state constitutions banning gay "marriage" did. It is high time to start standing up for our rights to practice our faith in public, to declare that in this country, marriage is between a man and a woman, that a real, distinct, and living human being is present from the very moment of conception, that we are not going to clone ourselves, destroy members of our species for science, or allow the government to determine when we are allowed to live and die.

I say that it is time for fair-minded Americans to stand up to NOW, NARAL, GLBT awareness groups, the ACLU, and everyone who supports them.

Woot. A family is really just the people who raise you and love you. The GBLT communities aren't pushing some agenda, some just want a child to love and raise. Most people, homosexual or heterosexual, know if they are called to marriage, religious life, or the single life, and many who feel called to marriage want kids.

No truly homosexual person is called to marriage. Many people may mistakenly think that they are homosexual, but if a person truly is, he or she is not called to marriage. Furthermore, your argument is all about feelings. What is best for the child? A two parent household, a mother and father, is best, not two mothers or two fathers. Liberals have blinded American society.

[quote name='track2004' date='Aug 23 2005, 12:02 AM']Woot.  A family is really just the people who raise you and love you.  The GBLT communities aren't pushing some agenda, some just want a child to love and raise.  Most people, homosexual or heterosexual, know if they are called to marriage, religious life, or the single life, and many who feel called to marriage want kids.
[right][snapback]695173[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is pure liberal, p.c. mush, nothing more.

This is certainly NOT how God and His Church define the family.

A couple of people engaging in the abominable sin of sodomy does not a family make. Read some of John Paul IIs encyclicals on marriage and family, rather than this "gay rights" propaganda.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 23 2005, 08:39 PM']Dang it, why isn't Governator Arnold not doing anything about this. Dang Liberal Captial of America.
[right][snapback]696486[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Gubernator is a pretty worthless politician. On the so-called "social issues" he's as liberal as any Democrat.

I wasn't just reciting some pc liberal gay agenda. I was saying what I've seen, what my friends tell me about their own lives. You may not want homosexuals to marry, but God does the calling and many of my gay friends say they have prayed and prayed and still feel called to marriage. What they ultimately decide to do is between them and God and in the mean time I'll still be their friend.

[quote name='track2004' date='Aug 23 2005, 09:32 PM']I wasn't just reciting some pc liberal gay agenda.  I was saying what I've seen, what my friends tell me about their own lives.  You may not want homosexuals to marry, but God does the calling and many of my gay friends say they have prayed and prayed and still feel called to marriage.  What they ultimately decide to do is between them and God and in the mean time I'll still be their friend.
[right][snapback]696566[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Individuals will say that God tells them all sorts of things. As Catholics, we must accept the teachings of Christ's Church to determine whether actions are right or wrong. The Church's teachings on homosexuality are quite clear.

Of course, God is quite capable of calling a "homosexual" person to marriage - to a person of the opposite sex. But a sodomistic "union" between two (or more) people of the same sex cannot and never will constitute marriage.

As Catholics we are called to follow the wisdom of His Church, not the false "wisdom" of the world.

Edited by Socrates

the God who create the universe, the earth, the two sexes, the science and ability of reproduction between the two, and the feeling of love all people are able to have doesnt call ANYONE to enter homosexual marraige..

i have a scenario to offer. what if a teenage girl gets pregnant and her parents offer her either abortion or adoption b/c they don't want her to become a teen parent (i.e, have to raise the child on her own) let's say the only couple available is a gay couple. would u rather the child go to the gay couple or be aborted? i'd say the gay couple b/c they could experience life, and it could be an excellent example of hate the sin, love the sinner.

thessalonian

[quote name='track2004' date='Aug 23 2005, 09:32 PM']I wasn't just reciting some pc liberal gay agenda.  I was saying what I've seen, what my friends tell me about their own lives.  You may not want homosexuals to marry, but God does the calling and many of my gay friends say they have prayed and prayed and still feel called to marriage.  What they ultimately decide to do is between them and God and in the mean time I'll still be their friend.
[right][snapback]696566[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well you know, if they are in mortal sin, God does not answer their prayers. They cannot discern his will when blinded by their own. Sorry. Homosexual relationships are abominations to God unless God is a liar. And we know he is not. What you see in homosexuals is either a) a fasad for those who are still struggling or b) a seared conscience for those who have given in to their passions, denying God his rightful place in ruling our lives. Homosexual acts are not loving. They are intrinsically selfish and disordered because in spite of what God's word and his Natural Law say, it does not seek the eternal good of the other person.
Sorry to be so blunt, but even if you are not homosexual you will be judged by the perversity you promote.

Ez 3
[18] If I say to the wicked, `You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand.

God bless

Jake Huether

Do any of these people really take the time to consider the KIDS! Good Lord have mercy.

How many people does it take to make a baby - and how will this kid identify him/herself...?

Well, my "real" dad was a sperm donor. My real mom was an egg donor... the doctor implanted the egg into my other mom who gave birth to me.

It's a selfish selfish way of making gays and lesbians feel like they too can have a normal family.

They are human and deserve the respect and love that comes with being human...

And I know not all of them are like this... but they (they being the radical ones) are like a kid having a temper tantrum because they want their way! "We can be parents too!"

Get ready for a generation of totally confused kids.

What's next? I can't even imagine.

I'm just preparing myself for when fire and brimstone are shot down on Cal.

For the sake of His Sorrowful Passion, have Mercy on us and on the whole world.

Jake Huether

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Aug 24 2005, 09:30 AM']i have a scenario to offer.  what if a teenage girl gets pregnant and her parents offer her either abortion or adoption b/c they don't want her to become a teen parent (i.e, have to raise the child on her own)  let's say the only couple available is a gay couple.  would u rather the child go to the gay couple or be aborted?  i’d say the gay couple b/c they could experience life, and it could be an excellent example of hate the sin, love the sinner.
[right][snapback]697062[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is unreasonable. There is no such "what if". There are heterosexual married couples that would literally die to be able to adopt.

I don't understand why you would pose such an outlandish scenario??

What if the world was going to explode and all humanity was going to die if you didn't listen to the whim of an Jupiterian space alianoid. LOL...

If a teenage girl becomes pregnant out of wedlock, and her parents offer her either abortion or adoption to gay parents, the teenage girl has the obligation to first repent and turn her life to Jesus, and secondly she has the responsibility to tell her parents to repent of their wicked ways and follow Jesus Christ with her.

You cannot suppose that the only two answers in all situations would be sin.

We can list a whole bunch of good "what if's", that would never actually be the case in real life.

Homosexual unions, much more so adoptions, are NEVER acceptable.

God bless.