An Old School Catholic Message Board

FSSP

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Dave' date='Aug 25 2005, 09:31 PM']I don't deny that true abuses happen and that more should be done to correct them.  But for someone to leave the Church because they feel the Mass has been compromised is extreme.  Individual priests, laity, etc. can compromise individual Masses.  But to say that the Church itself compromises its own Masses is improper and un-Catholic.  It seems to me that such people have forgotten Christ's promise that the gates of hell will never prevail against the Church
[right][snapback]699371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

As a Priest dear to me said, our souls must be fed.

Before you think anything weird of him, he is a bi-Ritual Priest of the Latin and Byzantine Rites, who says he would go back to the Tridentine in a heartbeat, and a convert from the Greek Orthodox.

That said, he told me the first way our soul can be fed, and the most important as well, is by truth.

A great teacher of truth the Liturgy is. It is another way that our soul can be fed. Schisms arise often because there is something not loved in the Church today that should be, and this includes the Tridentine Rite. :)

I can go further into what he has said, if you would like.

Myles Domini

[quote]chanches are if the celebrated the NO they would have to do it facing the congregation in english...... [/quote]

Why? Fr Joseph Fessio of Ignatius press says the Holy Mass facing eschatological east and I think most trad's would consider him a neo-modernist. At least, given he's one of Joseph Ratzinger's graduate students and Benedict XVI has been labelled as such I'd assume Fr Fessio would also be classified under this title?

Myles Domini

Pending on what I meant by trad and who I classify as such. If you care to define trad (which to many people means many sometimes rather different things) I may re-evaluate my statement.

I'll wait for a statement that I can confirm issued y the FSSP.

As for the good or bad of it, I don't like it, personally. The FSSP was set up to promulgate the Mass of the 1962 Missal.

As for the priest shortage in this issue, those who enter the order of FSSP know why and what they are entering for. It seems rather confusing to have the FSSP priest perfom duties he isn't in the society for.

Of course, it's licit and up to the judgement of whoever the individual FSSP priest answers to.

It would be as if a Franciscan where to have to wear a Dominican habit.

Besides, both Masses are Masses of the Church. This argument/thread seems a little fishy to me.

Why would an FSSP preist have to say the NO Mass? Both Masses are valid and licit.

If an FSSP is functioning in a diocese, as an FSSP priest, under permission of the Bishop, why would it even be necessary for him to say the NO Mass?

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Aug 25 2005, 05:32 PM']i think that the Tridentine mass still needs to be celebrated and if it isn't i could tell you i would leave the church. [right][snapback]699064[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Wow. Good thing you're Catholic for all the right reasons.

[quote]Wow. Good thing you're Catholic for all the right reasons.[/quote]

for sure. but tell me if we went back to the Tridentine as the missa normitiva how many catholics would leave the church?

thousands would.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Aug 26 2005, 04:56 PM']for sure. but tell me if we went back to the Tridentine as the missa normitiva how many catholics would leave the church?

thousands would.
[right][snapback]700415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think he is being sarcastic.

And it doesnt matter who leaves the Church over it. But I guess leaving the Church over that is just as silly as being in schism over the NO Mass.

I think it would be beautiful, if the NO mass was celebrated )worldwide like it is at the Vatican and EWTN.(but inforced)I highly disagree with letting people mesh their cultures in with it.

That's just not a good idea. Latin use to be the universal language of the church, now it looks like the tower of babble. It's a giant mess.(language wise) When you let people do whatever they want with the liturgy there are going to be grave problems.

I've seen some of these problems. The shrine here in south texas is a prime example. Thats why i no longer go there. It is more like being at the superbowl than the mass. Music, the priest and feely touchy people are the center of the mass not the Eucharist. I was called an idiot because i didnt hold hands during the our father, which by the way isnt part of the mass, but an american trend and tradition.

Edited by MC Just

[quote]I think he is being sarcastic.

And it doesnt matter who leaves the Church over it. But I guess leaving the Church over that is just as silly as being in schism over the NO Mass.

[/quote]

really? i didn't notice

(now im bieng sarcastic)