An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglicans

CatholicAndFanatical

CatholicAndFanatical

ok, im on a debate right now and for some reason I have drawn a blank on things..long day..

Would the Anglican Church be considered in Union with Rome?

Thanks

There's an Anglican church near my house, and on the sign it says in BIG, BOLD type: "Tradtional, Episcopal & Catholic"

So thanks because I was wondering about that.

Though of course in the church Nippy316 is referring to, it possibly means it's a high anglican church since it also has the word traditional on the sign - the members of that particular church might therefore describe themselves as 'anglo catholics'.

The word "catholic" simply means "universal," so they can use that word to describe themselves if they want.

They use the word "Catholic" to mean that they are one of the three "branches" of the One True Church, which are, according to them, Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican.

The Orthodox are only one step away from being part of the One True Church from which they originated. They were once Catholic, and have retained their valid episcopacy; therefore, they have validly ordained priests who administer the same seven sacraments as the Catholic Church. The Orthodox are in schism, but the Anglicans are in heresy.

The Anglican church is Catholic in ritual only -- they do a copycat Mass. But theologically, they are Protestant through and through -- mildly Calvinistic.

Henry VIII declared himself head of the Church of England, replacing the Pope, and confiscated or destroyed Church property -- lands and buildings. But the doctrines of the English Church remained Catholic. The real culprit in making England thoroughly Protestant was Edward VI, son of Henry VIII and wife number 3, Jane Seymour.

There are three twigs on the Anglican tree -- High Church (pseudo-Catholic), Low Church (anti-ritual, they'd fit right in w/Unitarians), and Broad Church (more like Methodists and Congregationalists).

JMJ Likos

Edited by Katholikos

I asked my parhis priest about the holy orders thing. Appernetly they recieve a bible when they are ordained, instead of the the collar. So they are sacraficed to the bible rather than christ. or something along that line.

The real culprit in making England thoroughly protestant was Edward VI

Though of course the behaviour of subsequent kings and queens also played a part, including Elizabeth I.

Then there was the small matter of the civil war and Cromwell! :(

Charles II who ruled as protestant king following Cromwell's death, was forced by parliament to sign acts which resulted in many of his catholic advisers being imprisoned or losing their lives for their faith, though he had tried to bring about some religious tolerance in the country before that - he was married to a catholic. He later reverted to his catholic faith on his death bed and was succeeded by his brother James II, a catholic king, who was eventuallly disposed by parliament. A law was then passed which forbids any king or queen who is catholic being able to rule, and it still stands today. In fact, not so many years ago, one of the Duchess' (I'm not sure which one!) converted to catholicism, and although her husband is not close in the line of succession, they still had to formally give 'up the right' to the throne as a result.

Charles, who will be 'head of the anglican church' when he succeeds to the throne, is reportedly very interested in islam and wishes to be known as 'defender of the faiths' rather than 'defender of the faith' at his coronation. I'm not sure that the constitution prevents him from doing this, though it does prevent him from becoming catholic or marrying one!

Ellenita,

I believe it was Princess Margret, Queen Elizabeth II's sister. It happened in 94 or 95 and there was no great danger of her taking the throne, so she was "allowed" to convert.

Wow, I do spend to much time reading about British royalty...

peace...

Ellenita,

I believe it was Princess Margret, Queen Elizabeth II's sister.  It happened in 94 or 95 and there was no great danger of her taking the throne, so she was "allowed" to convert.

Wow, I do spend to much time reading about British royalty...

peace...

Princess Margaret converted to Catholicism?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

There is the Anglican Use Liturgy which is sort of like a sub-Rite to the Roman Catholic Church. It consists of Anglican parishes that have converted to Catholicism and coem into union with Rome. Their priests are re-ordained in the Catholic Church and they are allowed to celebrate a Mass similar to the Anglican Mass. The married priests that you see in the Roman Rite are most likely former Anglican priests. If their wife dies, they are not permitted to re-marry.

PedroX, I don't think it was Margaret. She had an anglican funeral and I'm sure they would have honoured her faith and given her a Catholic funeral if she had converted. It is a Duchess, still living, who married a cousin to the Queen - it may be the Duchess of Kent.