An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglicans

CatholicAndFanatical

I hadn't heard that Charles II converted on his deathbed, intersting. As for parliament's intervention in the DIvine Right of Kings as per the "Glorious" revolution of 1688, we are all thoroughly indoctrinated:

Rock-a-by- baby on the treetop.

(JamesII's newly born Catholic son, the pinnacle and future of the Stuart dynasty)

When the wind blows, the cradle will Rock

(the "protestant wind" carries William of Orange miraculously down the English Channel, James II prepares to defend His throne [this would have resulted in a second Civil War... bad for EVERYONE])

When the Bow breaks the Cradle will fall, and down will come Baby, cradle and all.

(JamesII flees England to remain in exile in France with his son and the rest of the shattered Stuart Dynasty)

CatholicAndFanatical

does anybody else think thats a wierd song to sing to a baby? Talking about his cradle falling and the baby coming down..geesh, that would give any baby a nightmare.

:o

I hadn't heard that Charles II converted on his death bed, interesting

I don't think he was at all committed to protestantism on a personal level, it was purely politics since he had seen his father lose the crown, and his head, and he was determined that the same would not happen to himself! His mother, who was a catholic refused to see him for most of his life because he claimed to be protestant. James, his brother, refused to renounce his catholicism and insisted that he marry a catholic after his first wife died, despite Charles urging him to 'be protestant' for the sake of the crown, if not in personal conviction. Charles continued to insist that James was his heir even when James refused to renounce his faith. Many of his most trusted advisers were catholic, as was his wife, so perhaps his conversion on his death bed is not unreasonable to understand really.

Well, actually, James II was a convert to Catholicism. But I don't really question that Charles had close links to Catholics. He actually had secret treaties with Louis XIV. (You know more than me how well that revelation would have gone over witht the English public). I just hadn't heard about the conversion.

Well, actually, James II was a convert to Catholicism. But I don't really question that Charles had close links to Catholics. He actually had secret treaties with Louis XIV. (You know more than me how well that revelation would have gone over witht the English public). I just hadn't heard about the conversion.

You ARE correct though! I had forgotten that he converted. (I'm taking British History right now in uni, so I should know better)