An Old School Catholic Message Board

Education System

Aloysius

No Child left behind is an illusion and not fixing the problem.

In fact, I think MORE children are being left behind.

IMHO, parents do have alot of say in education. Go and vote.

Heh, I'm no staunch supporter of the legislation. The question was rhetorical, my point being that work is being done to reform the current "state of affairs" as you put it.

TBH, I'm happy with mandated eduction as well as required curriculum requirements of some kind. I'd rather not have my country filled with incompetent, ignorant 'tards about whose well-being it's my duty to care any worse than it already is.

Yeah, I can be a 'tard myself at times but I think my point still holds water.

I say, completely change the system, public school system and home school system to where the Students can learn anything of their choosing, as long as its learning something, rather the basics of Science or reading at a adult reading level.

The biggest problem I see right now with grade school education is the No Child Left Behind thing. For years and years on end teachers have to teach the kids how to pass tests instead of focusing on the basic principles of knowledge. They can't learn at any pace that is conductive to really grasping a subject. When I was in grade school we had a standardized test every year and for the first few months of school all we would learn was what the test would cover. And we'd practice test. Every week. It was completely lame. It didn't put forth an atmosphere where knowledge and understanding and curiosity for the subject mattered; it was regurgitating information for the state board. It was lame... It took reading novels for me to be able to think for myself... lots of novels... all on my own time.

The tests We had back in the early and mid 90's were the AST and those were pretty well, out of date after each year had gone by they never really updated them much, except how you answer them, and every now and then change the wording of the question.

Which I thought was a waste of time, when someone of any stature could begin learning something more advanced, instead of sticking with the basics.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='Era Might' date='Sep 18 2005, 09:17 PM']If you don't like that America makes sure its citizens know how to read, write, and do some math in between, go to Saudi Arabia.
[right][snapback]729136[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]Have you noticed the 's[i]peling[/i]' in most of the posts here?

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='track2004' date='Sep 19 2005, 03:21 AM']The biggest problem I see right now with grade school education is the No Child Left Behind thing.  For years and years on end teachers have to teach the kids how to pass tests instead of focusing on the basic principles of knowledge.  They can't learn at any pace that is conductive to really grasping a subject.  When I was in grade school we had a standardized test every year and for the first few months of school all we would learn was what the test would cover.  And we'd practice test.  Every week.  It was completely lame.  It didn't put forth an atmosphere where knowledge and understanding and curiosity for the subject mattered; it was regurgitating information for the state board.  It was lame... It took reading novels for me to be able to think for myself... lots of novels... all on my own time.
[right][snapback]729496[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh golly. You edified yourself on your own time. What a waste! No, not a waste. How about unfair? No, not unfair. How about pointless? No, not pointless.
Why don't you read another book and ponder it... May I suggest Great Expectations by Dickens? While reading it, ponder the application of directed will when making life's choices despite the circumstances.

I read Dickens. It was one of the worst books I've ever read. He was paid by the chapter for it which is why nothing really happens over some 30 or so chapters.

My reading on my own time wasn't a waste, or unfair, or pointless, but it does show a shortfall in the education system of this country.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Sep 19 2005, 03:03 PM']I liked Great Expectations.  :D:
[right][snapback]729995[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Can I have a bit of what you're smokin? That must be good stuff. Great Expectations is the Worst. Tripe. Ever.

:smokey:

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 19 2005, 08:34 AM']Have you noticed the 's[i]peling[/i]' in most of the posts here?
[right][snapback]729565[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, but we are not allowed to criticize that.....