homeschoolmom Posted September 21, 2005 Posted September 21, 2005 Well, I'm sure that most parishes have started their RCIA programs by now. Just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's is like.
Brother Adam Posted September 21, 2005 Posted September 21, 2005 lol. our campus hasn't started yet (shame on us). We have our first leadership meeting Friday and start classes shortly there after.
Sanvean Posted September 21, 2005 Posted September 21, 2005 Same. My parish doesn't start until tonight, although there have been pre-inquiry classes going on. So far, 30 people have signed up!
Lil Red Posted September 21, 2005 Posted September 21, 2005 i will be interested to hear about everyone's experiences!
therese Posted September 21, 2005 Posted September 21, 2005 The parish RCIA I'm at, started back in august. but we just recently got past the journey part
Sojourner Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='therese' date='Sep 21 2005, 03:01 PM']The parish RCIA I'm at, started back in august. but we just recently got past the journey part [right][snapback]732948[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You're in it, right? I'd be interested to know a little of how you got to be there, if you're willing to share.
therese Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 21 2005, 07:13 PM']You're in it, right? I'd be interested to know a little of how you got to be there, if you're willing to share. [right][snapback]733338[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yes I am in RCIA,god willing,to be baptized this coming easter vigil. Its actually a long story of my conversion and how we found this parish lol. The first parish we where at was rather...unorthodox...ok more new wave dare I say. So we drove around all day looking for a new parish. after several parishes turned my brother and I away, we found the current parish we are at now. It has been such a blessing to find this wonderful parish. ok that was really long,sorry!
Cre8d4Youth Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 So our parish apparently started two or three weeks ago, and didn't have any announcements to that matter. Most of the parish staff didn't even know! The ERE Director and Youth Minister I work with called to ask if I knew! So...I go for first time tonight!
Sojourner Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='therese' date='Sep 21 2005, 10:51 PM']Yes I am in RCIA,god willing,to be baptized this coming easter vigil. Its actually a long story of my conversion and how we found this parish lol. The first parish we where at was rather...unorthodox...ok more new wave dare I say. So we drove around all day looking for a new parish. after several parishes turned my brother and I away, we found the current parish we are at now. It has been such a blessing to find this wonderful parish. ok that was really long,sorry! [right][snapback]733501[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That wasn't long at all! We're all about the details here. It's always good to hear how God works in people's lives.
Sojourner Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='Cre8d4Youth' date='Sep 22 2005, 08:57 AM']So our parish apparently started two or three weeks ago, and didn't have any announcements to that matter. Most of the parish staff didn't even know! The ERE Director and Youth Minister I work with called to ask if I knew! So...I go for first time tonight! [right][snapback]733734[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You'll have to let us know how it goes!
Nathan Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 My RCIA is starting back up this coming Tuesday, the 27th. A little later than most it seems... I'm looking forward to jumping back in! God-willing, I'll FINALLY be getting confirmed at the end of this session (I joined RCIA last November and decided to hold off until completing this session).
Cre8d4Youth Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 22 2005, 09:39 AM']You'll have to let us know how it goes! [right][snapback]733771[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I'm not too worried, really. My priest forgets that I'm not Catholic from time to time. LOL We've both agreed that this trip through RCIA is more a formallity at this point. Although, hopefully it will serve to quell the last remaining vestages of confussion. I started this trip over ten years ago after meeting my future wife. And Jerry said it best, "What a long strange trip it has been."
Leah Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 I went to my first RCIA class yesterday. It was preceeded by a short mass. There were much less people than on Sunday and had a nice intimite feel to it. Based on things that I had heard from this forum and other places on the webI was a bit worried that the curriculum might be unorthodox. Happily, that is not the case. It seems like it will be very throurough and faithful to the Magistrum. The people all seem friendly and knowledgable. I look forward to this journey of faith.
Gal. 5:22,23 Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 I've attended two classes so far. We have 45 signed up. For some reason the DRE quit last week, leaving the parish. They're having us attend the 7:30am Mass. The candidates leave right after the homily, which I like, because I always feel a little weird not being able to receive the Eucharist when everyone else is. We go until 10:00. Then, I rush out to meet my family at the Protestant church. I'm pretty exhausted by lunchtime. Only God can work this mess out!
Sojourner Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='Cre8d4Youth' date='Sep 22 2005, 11:04 AM']I'm not too worried, really. My priest forgets that I'm not Catholic from time to time. LOL We've both agreed that this trip through RCIA is more a formallity at this point. Although, hopefully it will serve to quell the last remaining vestages of confussion. I started this trip over ten years ago after meeting my future wife. And Jerry said it best, "What a long strange trip it has been." [right][snapback]733818[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ten years! Wow! Is your wife Catholic? (I'm assuming she's your wife by now).
Cre8d4Youth Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 22 2005, 03:52 PM']Ten years! Wow! Is your wife Catholic? (I'm assuming she's your wife by now). [right][snapback]734281[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yes, that she is. And yes, she is We'll have been married nine years this November!!
hooverbloob Posted September 22, 2005 Posted September 22, 2005 [quote name='Cre8d4Youth' date='Sep 22 2005, 05:10 PM']Yes, that she is. And yes, she is We'll have been married nine years this November!! [right][snapback]734402[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yes I am a cradle Catholic so I can't answer any questions on "why". LOL And I am amazed that Cre8 is going through RCIA, there was a time when he wouldn't have even thought about joining the church. It has been a crazy journey for us. For a few years, we were going to church twice on Sundays...the Catholic church and the Methodist church. So, I am looking forward to this as I will be going with him to the meetings every now and again. Not tonight though as our children seem to be on sugar highs. :
Sojourner Posted September 23, 2005 Posted September 23, 2005 [quote name='Gal. 5:22' date='23,Sep 22 2005, 02:50 PM']I've attended two classes so far. We have 45 signed up. For some reason the DRE quit last week, leaving the parish. They're having us attend the 7:30am Mass. The candidates leave right after the homily, which I like, because I always feel a little weird not being able to receive the Eucharist when everyone else is. We go until 10:00. Then, I rush out to meet my family at the Protestant church. I'm pretty exhausted by lunchtime. Only God can work this mess out! [right][snapback]734119[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That sounds a lot like my RCIA experience, except I was meeting Protestant friends, not family. You'll make it through, I'm quite sure. It's definitely worth the trauma.
Guest himself Posted September 23, 2005 Posted September 23, 2005 (edited) oops, deleting duplicate message! Edited September 23, 2005 by himself
Guest himself Posted September 23, 2005 Posted September 23, 2005 Hello. I am in RCIA with my wife. I am confused as to what is going on, and even maybe a little paranoid about how I / we are being treated. I think they are trying to be sensitive and not offend us, but the "deafening silence" is getting a bit offensive in itself. Life is complex, I was raised Catholic, received Communion at age 7, but became disconnected from the Church before I was ever confirmed. Now I am coming back, my wife is baptized Mormon (so she needs baptism, as the Church does not recognize Mormon baptism), and we were married civilly. We come to the church on our own to enter and be validated... I feel like people are "too polite" to say we are not welcome or something... Oh, and I guess it's more complicated than that, she has been married and divorced more than once before, but this is my first marriage. We don't have any close family who are practicing Catholics, and my knowledge/understanding is mostly what I have acquired on my own, and what I remember from Catechism as a child. What is it that they don't want to say? Should I be wearing a scarlet letter or something? What does it take to try to do the right thing? This seems so contrary to my understanding of the spirit of Christianity, and I am Catholic and trying to reconcile this. I am not hep to quote chapter and verse, but I know that Jesus came to call sinners. I hear the call, and I come with all my blemishes. What now? -Mike
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now