An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pastors Study

thessalonian

On Saturday mornings here in the twin cities they have this show called the pastors study by this Lutheran pastor. It is on a very fundamentalist radio station, though some of their hosts are all over the map, including this one. A few weeks ago this Lutheran had a guy call in and start ripping on the sacraments in the Catholic Church and baptism as salvation by works. Well of course the Lutheran defended baptism. Saturday had a guest Pastor on who was talking about the Jews. One guy called in and got in to it with them about about alcohol. They challenged him to find a scripture that says that drinking is wrong or to show that Jesus made something other than wine at the wedding of Canna. He just went on and on about the evils of alcohol. Evidently the individual was over the Bible.

Before that a guy called in talking about how if there was a temple built there should probably be sacrifice of animals again. The radio guest had been talking about how wrong it was for Protestants to think the law was abolished. Well, he had not real good arguement against this guy for saying that sacrifices should be held if a temple was built. They were going back and forth and the Pastor said "your not just arguing for the sake of arguement are you?". In other words you should be accepting my authority as a Pastor to tell you why there wouldn't be sacrifices. Well if they had the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass they would understand that there is a sacrifice today and that we are the temples for that sacrifice. But they don't so they must argue about scripture and who's right with no REAL authority to decide the matter. Sad. It's good to be Catholic.

Edited by thessalonian

Definitely. Very good to be Catholic.

I never quite know what to do with people who try to convince me that the Church is wrong on some issue. The concepts of faith, trust, and obedience just [i]woosh[/i] right over their heads. Why would I want to try to figure everything out myself?? Ick!

photosynthesis

[quote name='philothea' date='Oct 10 2005, 11:46 AM']Why would I want to try to figure everything out myself??  Ick!
[right][snapback]752516[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
EXACTLY!!! I always find that Protestant theology never gets too deep because they are constantly reinventing the wheel because of Sola Scriptura. Hebrews 6:1-3 says,
"Therefore, let us leave behind the basic teaching about Christ and advance to maturity, without laying the foundation all over again: repentance from dead works and faith in God, instruction about baptisms and laying on of hands, resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And we shall do this, if only God permits."

This is exactly the predicament that a lot of Protestants are stuck in, because they believe that the Bible alone is the only revelation of God to man. Every generation has to figure out for themselves what is true, and what is not true, and having no teaching authority in their churches makes it hard to interpret the Bible correctly. Plus new denominations are popping up every day, and each denomination has to have its own "statement of faith" (because they don't like saying the word "creed")...a lot of thought goes into that. When I was in my evangelical Protestant phase, this is what I saw, and I left after I realized I didn't want to spend the rest of my life reinventing the wheel and never going deeper than the basics of Christian faith.

how can they say drinking alcohol period is evil? I certainly understand getting drunk being evil. But Jesus drank wine! To say Our Lord did anything evil would be blasphemy! And St. Paul encouraged it!

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:16 PM']silly protestants.
[right][snapback]752958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Silly Protestants! The foundation of the faith and doctrines about baptisms, etc are for kids!

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:16 PM']silly protestants.
[right][snapback]752958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:45 PM']Silly Protestants! The foundation of the faith and doctrines about baptisms, etc are for kids!
[right][snapback]753011[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was going to say something simular to that!

No fair!

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Oct 10 2005, 01:22 PM']how can they say drinking alcohol period is evil?  I certainly understand getting drunk being evil.  But Jesus drank wine!
[/quote]
Not if you ask the Mormons. It was only grape juice.

[quote name='Benedict' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:29 PM']Not if you ask the Mormons.  It was only grape juice.
[right][snapback]753095[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So do many baptists and evangelicals. This came up of course and the guest counted it with the wedding at Canna.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Oct 11 2005, 01:00 AM']I know I get drunk off of grape juice at every wedding party I go too.
[right][snapback]753576[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
just don't drink the kool-aid...

OH YEAH! :D:

Yeah... grapes naturally grow with yeast on them. It's impossible to make grape juice without a lot of messing around. You squish grapes, you get wine.