An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pastors Study

thessalonian

No refrigeration + sugar laden liquid = alcoholic beverage. No ifs ands or buts. Of course if you bend the Bible to your own interpertation, you can also bend history and logic as well...

[quote name='T-Bone' date='Oct 11 2005, 02:35 AM']No refrigeration + sugar laden liquid = alcoholic beverage.
[right][snapback]753725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Soo...if I stick my pitcher of lemonade out on the counter, it'll make my weekends more exciting?!?

Or, some alcoholic high pulp orange juice! :lol_roll:

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='T-Bone' date='Oct 11 2005, 02:35 AM']No refrigeration + sugar laden liquid = alcoholic beverage.  No ifs ands or buts.  Of course if you bend the Bible to your own interpertation, you can also bend history and logic as well...
[right][snapback]753725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Only if there is yeast in it. If you don't put yeast in it then most likely you'll get bacteria in it. The results would not be alcoholic and would not be pleasant at all to drink.

Yeast is our friend.

I once had some pineapple with juice in a rubbermaid container in the refrigerator that fermented.

It was fizzy, alcoholic, and sweet -- like pinapple in champagne. If only I could make it on purpose!

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Oct 13 2005, 02:48 PM']Only if there is yeast in it. If you don't put yeast in it then most likely you'll get bacteria in it.  The results would not be alcoholic and would not be pleasant at all to drink.

Yeast is our friend.
[right][snapback]757324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

True, but grape juice is naturally laden with yeast. It will ferment naturally.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='RC_' date='Oct 13 2005, 05:07 PM']True, but grape juice is naturally laden with yeast.  It will ferment naturally.
[right][snapback]757444[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's exactly what the Welch's dude figured out how to avoid. If you let your grape juice sit out a too long it will get bacterial, not yeast, growth in it. Wine only results if the yeast is still present on the grapes at the time of mashing.