Sojourner Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 Is "y'all" a purely Southern expression? I use it often, although not in any official writing. I've been questioned on it a couple of times, and I maintain that because I have Southern roots -- grandma lived in Tennessee and Texas before getting hitched and moving to Indiana -- that I am justified in using it. But even if that weren't the case, I still believe I could use it because saying "you all" is just cumbersome. I think "y'all" is genius.
Carrie Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 I believe there is no reason on earth that anyone should use "y'all." But that opinion is coming from a yankee.
photosynthesis Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 I say y'all, and I'm from Jersey! (living in Maryland now...but I don't say "hon" all the time) It's so much easier and friendlier to say than "you people" or "you guys" or "youse guys" (popular in NJ). The priest at my parish in NJ always says "Peace be with youse!" at the end of Mass. It makes me cringe
Carrie Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:49 PM']The priest at my parish in NJ always says "Peace be with youse!" at the end of Mass. It makes me cringe [right][snapback]752886[/snapback][/right] [/quote] "youse" should also be banned!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 Since I am officially termed a "yankee" by certain Louisianans, and yet, I say "y'all" without any major difficulty, I don't think it's wrong. Around these parts, they say "yins"...I'm still trying to figure that one out.
sweetpea316 Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:05 PM']Around these parts, they say "yins"...I'm still trying to figure that one out. [right][snapback]752919[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You've got me stumped on that one...
franciscanheart Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 you are a yankee micah. i think jennie has rubbed off on you though. thats your excuse from here on out. i too say yall with pride. at least when someone points it out mostly its just habit.
sweetpea316 Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:10 PM']i too say yall with pride. at least when someone points it out mostly its just habit. [right][snapback]752939[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yep! I didn't realize for the longest time that not everyone says it...until my northern relatives pointed it out and made fun of it.
Mickey's_Girl Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 "Yins" is probably for "you-uns", or you-ones. "Peace be with youse"!!! I think that is *hilarious*, if he isn't doing it to be "clever", but it's just the way he talks. Personally, I love regionalisms. I think they make life interesting. I'm definitely what you might call a Northerner (real "Yankees" wouldn't appreciate me appropriating their name, I'm sure) but I say "y'all" partially in fun (started it to tease a Texas friend in college) but it's also useful. I say, if you're being un-ironic, Sojourner, it's perfectly okay. People can tell if you're using it to mock or just using it. "Y'all" is better than "warsh" (wash), in my opinion. MG
Jaime Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 Hooiser girl No Hooter's girl Yes Hooter's girl from Indiana? That's a big question mark....
Carrie Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 10 2005, 04:52 PM']Hooter's girl from Indiana? That's a big question mark.... [right][snapback]753022[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Wouldn't that just be a maybe?
Sojourner Posted October 10, 2005 Author Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='Mickey's_Girl' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:46 PM']"Yins" is probably for "you-uns", or you-ones. "Peace be with youse"!!! I think that is *hilarious*, if he isn't doing it to be "clever", but it's just the way he talks. Personally, I love regionalisms. I think they make life interesting. I'm definitely what you might call a Northerner (real "Yankees" wouldn't appreciate me appropriating their name, I'm sure) but I say "y'all" partially in fun (started it to tease a Texas friend in college) but it's also useful. I say, if you're being un-ironic, Sojourner, it's perfectly okay. People can tell if you're using it to mock or just using it. "Y'all" is better than "warsh" (wash), in my opinion. MG [right][snapback]753013[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Had a professor in college (communications, no less) who had a speech impediment ala Elmer Fudd, which she used to tell us was a "wegionalism."
Sojourner Posted October 10, 2005 Author Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:52 PM']Hooiser girl No Hooter's girl Yes Hooter's girl from Indiana? That's a big question mark.... [right][snapback]753022[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Mickey's_Girl Posted October 10, 2005 Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:01 PM']Had a professor in college (communications, no less) who had a speech impediment ala Elmer Fudd, which she used to tell us was a "wegionalism." [right][snapback]753039[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Denial. I've heard the same speech impediment before, and they weren't from the same region. Then again, there's a particular British accent that can't seem to say the letter "r" either. MG
Sojourner Posted October 10, 2005 Author Posted October 10, 2005 [quote name='Mickey's_Girl' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:18 PM']Denial. I've heard the same speech impediment before, and they weren't from the same region. Then again, there's a particular British accent that can't seem to say the letter "r" either. MG [right][snapback]753067[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I always thought it was denial, as did, I'm sure, every student in her classes.
ardillacid Posted October 12, 2005 Posted October 12, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 10 2005, 01:46 PM']Is "y'all" a purely Southern expression? I use it often, although not in any official writing. I've been questioned on it a couple of times, and I maintain that because I have Southern roots -- grandma lived in Tennessee and Texas before getting hitched and moving to Indiana -- that I am justified in using it. But even if that weren't the case, I still believe I could use it because saying "you all" is just cumbersome. I think "y'all" is genius. [right][snapback]752881[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Y'all should not be used by anyone except people from texas cause then i can laugh at texans
Snarf Posted October 12, 2005 Posted October 12, 2005 As a fellow Hoosier, I say "no". "Y'all" is bad. I say stick with late Middle/Early Modern English: "thou/thee" for singular second-person, "you/ye" for plural.
missionseeker Posted October 12, 2005 Posted October 12, 2005 (edited) Y'all is a CONTRACTION! You + All = Y'all! DUH! However it CANNOT be used any other way. i.e. y'all all Redundant. and annoying all y'all -ditto My cousins from Philly say youse and mines(instead of mine) Edited October 12, 2005 by missionseeker
photosynthesis Posted October 12, 2005 Posted October 12, 2005 [quote name='Mickey's_Girl' date='Oct 10 2005, 05:18 PM']Then again, there's a particular British accent that can't seem to say the letter "r" either. [right][snapback]753067[/snapback][/right] [/quote] yeah, it's the Yorkshire accent. my best friend in elementary school talked like that.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now