Era Might Posted October 18, 2005 Posted October 18, 2005 I always call the Holy Father Papa Ratzi. I say lighten up. I'm reminded of the time John Paul II was reunited with his childhood friend, Jerzy Kluger, and he addressed him as "Your Excellency", and the Holy Father said, "What are you saying? Call me Lolek!"
homeschoolmom Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 18 2005, 09:21 AM']Impossible. Bingo columns only go in denominations of 15. 16 is under the "I" column, 1-15 are under the "B" column. [right][snapback]762339[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You are sooooo Catholic... :
IcePrincessKRS Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 [quote name='Donna' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:32 AM']That makes him sound like a bomb. Or a bingo number. A suggestion: B XVI (altho that looks like the name of a car). I know, I know, I get lazy, too, but this is the pope after all. I will concede it's easier to read (ie JPII, but as least "II" IS easier to read than "XVI". So there's no excuse for using the "2" when the roman "II" is easy). Lord, what'm I doing here? I dunno. Was asleep; woke up, and compelled to the big Phat. [right][snapback]762164[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 18 2005, 10:15 AM']Ya know.....I agree with you. There is a statement out there that is very telling: FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT When we refer to the Vicar of Christ as "Papa Ratzi," "B16," "Papa Ben," etc.... While all those names are cute; and all of those names are well thought out and creative; those names are very disrespectful. It is an American phenomena to nickname everything. I think that it is important to realize that Pope Benedict XVI is not our neighbor down the street, but rather our spiritual leader and the spiritual leader of over a billion people. How about some respect for the Pope. What do you think that it looks like to any random Protestant that might come to this board and we give one of those familiar nicknames? I would implore everyone to start using Benedict XVI, Holy Father, Pope, or one of the recognized names. Thanks for listening to me rant..... [right][snapback]762322[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ya know, I totally agree. It actually annoys the heck out of me. Pope Ben, Pope Benedict, thats fine, but the names that sound like baby talk or "leet speak" just grate on my nerves.
prose Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 I think it really depends on the context. I think it is important that he be treated with respect at all times, but, with that being said, I think it is also important that we be able to regard him with a friendly familiarity. So, I think both sides are right.
Cam42 Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 18 2005, 07:39 PM']I always call the Holy Father Papa Ratzi. I say lighten up. I'm reminded of the time John Paul II was reunited with his childhood friend, Jerzy Kluger, and he addressed him as "Your Excellency", and the Holy Father said, "What are you saying? Call me Lolek!" [right][snapback]762967[/snapback][/right] [/quote] And the key to that is that Jerzy was a [b]CHILDHOOD FRIEND[/b]. Last time I checked, no one here was a childhood friend of the current Holy Father.
Cam42 Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 [quote name='prose' date='Oct 18 2005, 10:59 PM']I think it really depends on the context. I think it is important that he be treated with respect at all times, but, with that being said, I think it is also important that we be able to regard him with a friendly familiarity. So, I think both sides are right. [right][snapback]763184[/snapback][/right] [/quote] And this speaks DIRECTLY to my point. Why should we be able to do that? The Pope is not your buddy from down the street. He is the Vicar of Christ. He is the Servant of Servants of God. A modicum of respect should be shown at all times..... I think that part of the vocation issue in this country is this lack of respect and familiarity.....
photosynthesis Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 I like calling him "Papa." Just Papa. Long live Papa!
missionseeker Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 Hey heard someone say ex vee eye, He's our guy!
toledo_jesus Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 [quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 18 2005, 11:24 PM']And the key to that is that Jerzy was a [b]CHILDHOOD FRIEND[/b]. Last time I checked, no one here was a childhood friend of the current Holy Father. [right][snapback]763219[/snapback][/right] [/quote] seriously though, Cam is right. being too familiar with the Pope is not a good thing. I'll be the first to admit I'm slightly irreverent, but not about the really important stuff.
DemonSlayer Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 (edited) I first person I heard refer to him as B16 was Fr Stan Fortuna at a WYD concert. Edited October 19, 2005 by DemonSlayer
Era Might Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 18 2005, 11:24 PM']And the key to that is that Jerzy was a [b]CHILDHOOD FRIEND[/b]. Last time I checked, no one here was a childhood friend of the current Holy Father. [right][snapback]763219[/snapback][/right] [/quote] No, we're just his children. Do you think the Holy Father cares that people have affectionate names for him? I don't. He's knows what life's about. Like holiness. Not cracking down on nicknames. "Respect" is relative. Someone might demand he be called "Holy Father". Someone might demand he be addressed always by all his full titles, Servant of the Servants of God and all the rest; anything less is disrespectful. This is the danger the Lord warned about when he said "be not called Rabbi". There is a time and a place for formal addresses. Referring to the Holy Father as "Papa Ratzi", or "B16", or whatever, in an informal setting, is in no way disrespectful. They are terms of affection. I particularly like "Papa Ratzi" because I've long known the Holy Father as Ratzinger, but he is now my Papa. Edited October 19, 2005 by Era Might
toledo_jesus Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 19 2005, 06:52 AM']No, we're just his children. Do you think the Holy Father cares that people have affectionate names for him? I don't. He's knows what life's about. Like holiness. Not cracking down on nicknames. "Respect" is relative. Someone might demand he be called "Holy Father". Someone might demand he be addressed always by all his full titles, Servant of the Servants of God and all the rest; anything less is disrespectful. This is the danger the Lord warned about when he said "be not called Rabbi". There is a time and a place for formal addresses. Referring to the Holy Father as "Papa Ratzi", or "B16", or whatever, in an informal setting, is in no way disrespectful. They are terms of affection. I particularly like "Papa Ratzi" because I've long known the Holy Father as Ratzinger, but he is now my Papa. [right][snapback]763519[/snapback][/right] [/quote] See, here's the problem. When we treat him like some cute old man, a grampy, an elderly neighbor, and nickname him...we undercut the authority that is implicit in his role. I saw too many Catholics who spoke about JPII with the same look you give an elderly relative who's losing his marbles but is just so darling. Now, if we want to get into issues of shorthand on a phorum, that's different. I don't feel like typing out Benedict XVI every time...
Era Might Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 (edited) [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:15 AM']See, here's the problem. When we treat him like some cute old man, a grampy, an elderly neighbor, and nickname him...we undercut the authority that is implicit in his role. I saw too many Catholics who spoke about JPII with the same look you give an elderly relative who's losing his marbles but is just so darling. Now, if we want to get into issues of shorthand on a phorum, that's different. I don't feel like typing out Benedict XVI every time... [right][snapback]763550[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't think "Papa Ratzi" treats the Holy Father like a senile old man. I think it treats him like who he is, Papa, Pope, with an affectionate use of his last name. Obedience is shown in how you live your life. I think there was a group that went to WYD called the "League of Lolek Lovers". Were they any less obedient to the authority of the Bishop of Rome? Of course not. Their affection was a show of their humble deference to the man they call Papa. Edited October 19, 2005 by Era Might
ReinnieR Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 (edited) me being a Honda person B16 is the engine on your old Honda Civic SI 1.6 liter dual over head Cam VTEC pretty good top end but no torque hehe and i'm in the air force and such a bomber plane does not exist in our inventory hehe Edited October 19, 2005 by ReinnieR
Proud2BCatholic139 Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 Too me too, B16 kind of reminds me of John 3:16. To me, it kind of rhymes.
Donna Posted October 19, 2005 Author Posted October 19, 2005 I stand by what I initially said. I'm very affectionate w/ the saints and Our Lord as well. And I nickname all the time. But I call him the Holy Father, usually. It's a point of view. Good thing I didn't put BIG pet peeve!
1337 k4th0l1x0r Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 I always called John Paul II "Papa John." He had some mighty good pizza.
Era Might Posted October 19, 2005 Posted October 19, 2005 YO!!!!! Papa John's is the stuff. I love how they give you garlic for your crust. And a Jalapeno.
ofpheritup Posted October 20, 2005 Posted October 20, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 18 2005, 01:59 PM'] B16 sounds like a vitamin to me. [right][snapback]762705[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ridiculous isn't it?
Donna Posted October 20, 2005 Author Posted October 20, 2005 (edited) There may actually be a vitamin B-16. Edited October 20, 2005 by Donna
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now