Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Donna' date='Oct 20 2005, 12:16 AM']There may actually be a vitamin B-16.
[right][snapback]764544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There probably is. What I think is stupid is that it makes our Pope sound like a vitamin. Like he is "interchangeable/"

That is what I find ridiculous.

Posted

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 18 2005, 03:59 PM']:lol_roll:  :lol_roll:  :lol_roll:

B16 sounds like a vitamin to me.
[right][snapback]762705[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/archives/005684.php"]http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/...ives/005684.php[/url]

Posted

Vitamin B16 (DMG (DiMethylGlycine))



DMG is a metabolic enhancer; that is, it improves the function of several metabolic pathways, including those involving the immune system, the cardiovascular system and muscle performance. DMG is a non-fuel, antistress nutrient. Although excess DMG can be converted by the body to energy, it appears that its primary role in metabolism is to act as a key intermediary in the biological pathway that supplies the body with methyl groups. It maximizes the amount of energy produced for each molecule of oxygen consumed, and stimulates both branches of the immune system. DMG is an ergogenic nutrient; that is it helps produce energy or improved physical stamina.

DMG also acts as a detoxifying agent and antioxidant, protecting body cells from unwanted reactions caused by free radicals. Extensive animal and clinical tests have shown DMG to be a versatile normalizer of physiological functions.

The chemical structure of DMG is that of the amino acid glycine, in which two of the hydrogen atoms have been replaced by methyl groups. DMG is a member of the family that includes choline, betaine (trimethylglycine), sarcosine (methylglycine), and glycine. This family of compounds provides a mechanism for supplying the body with essential methyl groups via the essential amino acid, methionine. DMG has been studied and, as will be discussed later, is one of the safest nutrients known.

Scientists are actively researching the metabolic mechanisms involving DMG, and there is more to learn than what has already been elucidated. Although we do not fully understand how DMG enhances the immune system or improves performance, we do have the scientific and practical studies to prove it does. Several studies have demonstrated DMG's ability to reduce lactic acid buildup during strenuous exercise.

God's Errand Girl
Posted

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Oct 18 2005, 11:53 AM']And the B16 was never a bomb or a bomber.  They skipped that designation.

I usually just refer to him as Benedict or Pope Benedict, but never Bizzle Sixtizzle.
[right][snapback]762453[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


Bizzle Sixtizzle....oh, I'm dying here. :lol_pound:

Posted

[quote]This is the danger the Lord warned about when he said "be not called Rabbi". There is a time and a place for formal addresses. Referring to the Holy Father as "Papa Ratzi", or "B16", or whatever, in an informal setting, is in no way disrespectful.[/quote]

I think the same way. I am totally respectful and obedient to the Holy Father, but I also would like to think he loves each of us as his own family and therefore would be comfortable with us being comfortable with him.

I think respect in some ways creates familiarity. As long as it isn't being done in a disrespectful way.

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 19 2005, 04:52 AM']No, we're just his children.

Do you think the Holy Father cares that people have affectionate names for him? I don't. He's knows what life's about. Like holiness. Not cracking down on nicknames.

"Respect" is relative. Someone might demand he be called "Holy Father". Someone might demand he be addressed always by all his full titles, Servant of the Servants of God and all the rest; anything less is disrespectful.

This is the danger the Lord warned about when he said "be not called Rabbi". There is a time and a place for formal addresses. Referring to the Holy Father as "Papa Ratzi", or "B16", or whatever, in an informal setting, is in no way disrespectful. They are terms of affection. I particularly like "Papa Ratzi" because I've long known the Holy Father as Ratzinger, but he is now my Papa.
[right][snapback]763519[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
amen!

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:35 AM']I don't think "Papa Ratzi" treats the Holy Father like a senile old man. I think it treats him like who he is, Papa, Pope, with an affectionate use of his last name.

Obedience is shown in how you live your life. I think there was a group that went to WYD called the "League of Lolek Lovers". Were they any less obedient to the authority of the Bishop of Rome? Of course not. Their affection was a show of their humble deference to the man they call Papa.
[right][snapback]763564[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Honestly, it is just a little annoying. It's like someone calling the President George all the time. Like they know him.

My position is this: for shorthand purposes on this phorum, using B16 is fine, whatever. when you are at work sneaking posts you don't want to type out Benedict XVI all the time. But really, "Pope Benedict" has 1 extra syllable, so in speech it is pointless to nickname him, and by that token shows a very casual attitude about this man who is our spiritual leader.

Posted

Can I ask an honest question?

You seem to have a problem with us calling Pope Benedict, Papa Ratzi or B16 but what about our late Holy Father, Pope John Paul II. We always called him JP2, even at WYD and he definitely didn't seem to have a problem with the nickname.

So if you're having a problem with Papa Ratzi or B16, did you also have a problem with calling Pope John Paul II, JP2?

Proud2BCatholic139
Posted

That's what I asked...:blush:

I don't see a difference.

Posted

Hi, sorry I hadn't seen the question yet, Colette and Proud2B.

The answer is yes, I didn't like that either for Pope John Paul II.
Even if he didn't seem to mind.

Partly, it might be a generational age thing, tho I guess the former Holy Father disproves that that is a RULE...the first time I saw "2" replacing "Too", or "to" I didn't like it (mostly in teen-fan magazines). But, a guy older than me really got that ball rolling in the 80's/90's - Prince!

A seminarian (!) is the one who got me OK withing using "ppl", but I think my little pet peeve per this thread will probably remain.

PS to Cow of Shame: DUDE! Thanks for the B-16 info, I'm getting me some.

Posted

Did anyone else find it funny that hot stuff kept calling Donna "D1"? That little jokester... :lol:

-Mark

Posted

[quote name='geetarplayer' date='Oct 23 2005, 09:37 AM']Did anyone else find it funny that hot stuff kept calling Donna "D1"?  That little jokester... :lol:

-Mark
[right][snapback]768061[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


:D:

Thank you for picking up on that!

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:35 AM']I don't think "Papa Ratzi" treats the Holy Father like a senile old man. I think it treats him like who he is, Papa, Pope, with an affectionate use of his last name.

Obedience is shown in how you live your life. I think there was a group that went to WYD called the "League of Lolek Lovers". Were they any less obedient to the authority of the Bishop of Rome? Of course not. Their affection was a show of their humble deference to the man they call Papa.
[right][snapback]763564[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Or people could think of the vultures that take illict photos.....

[quote name='jennie']Can I ask an honest question?

You seem to have a problem with us calling Pope Benedict, Papa Ratzi or B16 but what about our late Holy Father, Pope John Paul II. We always called him JP2, even at WYD and he definitely didn't seem to have a problem with the nickname.

So if you're having a problem with Papa Ratzi or B16, did you also have a problem with calling Pope John Paul II, JP2?[/quote]

Yes, I did.....I think that the chants of "JPII, we love you" were disrespectful. And what do you think that the late Holy Father was going to do with thousands of people chanting JPII?

Here is the question, if you were to meet Pope Benedict, would you call him Papa Ratzi to his face? I can tell you honestly, I had met the late Pope. I had no inclination to even think of calling him anything other than, Your Holiness. I have also met Pope Benedict, before his election. The only in inclination I had was to call him, Your Emminence. There was no thought of calling him anything other.....as it is when I have met any cardinal And I have met many ( over 20).

Posted (edited)

[quote]Here is the question, if you were to meet Pope Benedict, would you call him Papa Ratzi to his face?[/quote]

Depends on the context of the meeting. If it were some formal occasion, or if it was a quick "meet and greet", I would probably just call him "Holy Father". If we were sitting down together and talking like a father and a son, I would still call him Holy Father (because that's what I usually call the Pope, in general), but I would let him know how I love to call him Papa Ratzi. If I were presenting a gift to him, say, a shirt, I would have no problem if it said "Papa Ratzi" on it, and I think he would feel the same way.

And no, if I met then-Cardinal Ratzinger, I would have called him "Cardinal", not "Your Eminence". And if I was in a joking mood, I would have called him the Panzerkardinal.

Which brings me to another name I love:

PANZER PAPA!!!!!

Edited by Era Might
Posted

[quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 23 2005, 11:03 AM']
Yes, I did.....I think that the chants of "JPII, we love you" were disrespectful.  And what do you think that the late Holy Father was going to do with thousands of people chanting JPII?
[/quote]

lol love how you changed StColette to Jennie lol

Anyway, I believe that if the Holy Father found the nickname offensive he would have corrected us and told us not to use it. As faithful young people to the Church, I believe that if he would have told us that it was wrong for us to call him that then we would have stopped. Since he never did correct us on calling him JP2, I see nothing wrong with it. And all the times I watched video from WYD and the young people would start to chant JP2 we love you, he would always have this huge grin on his face.

[quote]Here is the question, if you were to meet Pope Benedict, would you call him Papa Ratzi to his face?  [/quote]

I'd be too nervous to probably even speak. But if I ever did meet him it would depend upon the situation we were in. Most likely I would not call him Papa Ratzi, not because it's offensive, but because it's more formal to greet Him as Holy Father, which is what I would call him. But in the case of chanting from a crowd I have no problem with JP2 or Papa Ratzi, because believe me it's hard trying to chant Pope Benedict XVI we love you. lol As a former cheerleaders that's a large mouthful to try and chant :lol: ^_^ ;)

Posted

Jennie was a cheerleader?

I have a hard time picturing that . She's just so... quiet.

;)

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 23 2005, 12:17 PM']Jennie was a cheerleader?

I have a hard time picturing that .  She's just so... quiet.

;)
[right][snapback]768146[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ROFL :lol: :P: ^_^

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 23 2005, 12:35 PM']Depends on the context of the meeting. If it were some formal occasion, or if it was a quick "meet and greet", I would probably just call him "Holy Father". If we were sitting down together and talking like a father and a son, I would still call him Holy Father (because that's what I usually call the Pope, in general), but I would let him know how I love to call him Papa Ratzi. If I were presenting a gift to him, say, a shirt, I would have no problem if it said "Papa Ratzi" on it, and I think he would feel the same way.

And no, if I met then-Cardinal Ratzinger, I would have called him "Cardinal", not "Your Eminence". And if I was in a joking mood, I would have called him the Panzerkardinal.

Which brings me to another name I love:

PANZER PAPA!!!!!
[right][snapback]768130[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I seriously doubt it.....while the sentiment is consistent with your argument, I daresay that you would probably never be in the situation where you could get away with calling him Papa Ratzi, etc.....

Even if you were, that is so disrespectful, I can't even fathom it. It isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of etiquette. We, who claim to be the #41 board of Catholic sites on the web should afford the Holy Father his proper due.

I find it to be offensive, I find it to be childish, I find it to be disrespectful. I would say the same thing of meeting any bishop.

As for calling a cardinal, "Cardinal," that is not proper either. One should address him as "Your Emminence." One should address a bishop as "Your Excellency."

This goes back a long way with me....ask Thumper or hot stuff (my fellow frog).....I was on this horse way back in the early '90s, in college.

There is a fun story that I can tell about meeting Francis Cardinal Arinze. (notice I didn't call him Cardinal Frank.....?) But I will not unless Thump wants me too, because it is a bit embarrassing for the Campus Ministry department at UST. And since that is her baby, I will spare that....unless she doesn't care.

And jennie...the first time is always the toughest, but after meeting your 5th or 6th cardinal, it gets easier......but the respect always remains.....

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 23 2005, 02:10 PM']I seriously doubt it.....while the sentiment is consistent with your argument, I daresay that you would probably never be in the situation where you could get away with calling him Papa Ratzi, etc.....

Even if you were, that is so disrespectful, I can't even fathom it.  It isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of etiquette.  We, who claim to be the #41 board of Catholic sites on the web should afford the Holy Father his proper due.

I find it to be offensive, I find it to be childish, I find it to be disrespectful.  I would say the same thing of meeting any bishop.

As for calling a cardinal, "Cardinal,"  that is not proper either.  One should address him as "Your Emminence."  One should address a bishop as "Your Excellency."

This goes back a long way with me....ask Thumper or hot stuff (my fellow frog).....I was on this horse way back in the early '90s, in college.

There is a fun story that I can tell about meeting Francis Cardinal Arinze. (notice I didn't call him Cardinal Frank.....?)  But I will not unless Thump wants me too, because it is a bit embarrassing for the Campus Ministry department at UST.  And since that is her baby, I will spare that....unless she doesn't care.

And jennie...the first time is always the toughest, but after meeting your 5th or 6th cardinal, it gets easier......but the respect always remains.....
[right][snapback]768185[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, we have different conceptions of respect.

No, I don't worry myself about getting royal titles right for the sake of getting royal titles right. And if a Bishop ever took offense at me calling him "Bishop" or "Cardinal" rather than "Your Excellency", I would politely tell him to take a deep breathe.

And I stand by what I said. I don't think the Holy Father gives a whoot that his children have affectionate names for him. And it goes without saying that I don't think the Lord does either.

Edited by Era Might
Posted

[quote name='Cam42' date='Oct 23 2005, 01:10 PM']
And jennie...the first time is always the toughest, but after meeting your 5th or 6th cardinal, it gets easier......but the respect always remains.....
[right][snapback]768185[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol: ^_^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...