An Old School Catholic Message Board

validity of confirmation?

photosynthesis

[quote name='termitescoming4u!' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:25 PM']That's true too. But does that also apply to Holy Communion? I think you have to understand what you are receiving before you recieve the graces that come with receiving the Eucharist. Am I wrong?
[right][snapback]769268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think so, but I also think you receive more grace when you understand what you are receiving.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='termitescoming4u!' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:25 PM']That's true too. But does that also apply to Holy Communion? I think you have to understand what you are receiving before you recieve the graces that come with receiving the Eucharist. Am I wrong?
[right][snapback]769268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It depends.

An honestly ignorant person would not be deprived the grace of Holy Communion. HOWEVER, a practicing and devout Catholic who receives Holy Communion with understanding would receive MORE grace through their understanding. It's common practice in the USA to do first communion around age 7 or 8, and many Eastern-rite Catholics give Holy Communion to infants... are they deprived of grace because they cannot understand? No, I don't think it would be proper to say that; but nor do they receive the abundance of grace that comes through understanding.

photosynthesis

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:30 PM']I think so, but I also think you receive more grace when you understand what you are receiving.
[right][snapback]769273[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:41 PM']It depends.

An honestly ignorant person would not be deprived the grace of Holy Communion. HOWEVER, a practicing and devout Catholic who receives Holy Communion with understanding would receive MORE grace through their understanding. It's common practice in the USA to do first communion around age 7 or 8, and many Eastern-rite Catholics give Holy Communion to infants... are they deprived of grace because they cannot understand? No, I don't think it would be proper to say that; but nor do they receive the abundance of grace that comes through understanding.
[right][snapback]769284[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:unsure: oh man.. so i missed out? shoot. "too late have I loved thee.."

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 24 2005, 04:13 PM']:unsure: oh man.. so i missed out?  shoot.  "too late have I loved thee.."
[right][snapback]769325[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, a person is not deprived of grace without willful rejection. You have the opportunity to embrace the grace of your Confirmation now. It's not as though God only gives us one shot (thankfully!), the grace is always there being offered, we just have to accept it.

You were confirmed. You have received the gift of the Holy Spirit (and He ain't a one time gift!)... you can still experience the graces of your Confirmation.

son_of_angels

I should point out that the principle of proper matter and form seems to ALSO apply to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

The matter is a contrite soul with a priest given the proper faculties to hear confession from the Bishop.

The form is the prescribed formulae for absolution and faithful completion of the penance.

As long as either of these are in place Reconciliation is valid. Likewise as long as matter and form are completed in any of the other sacraments, that sacrament is wholly valid.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 23 2005, 12:19 PM']
The Holy Eucharist is just the opposite. Even if the Priest didn't believe in it, it would be valid so long as the matter, form, and intent were correct.

[right][snapback]768232[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How could the priest have right intent if he didn't believe in it? I've never understood the intent part. Why does there have to be intent? What exactly does that mean?

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 24 2005, 09:30 AM']Perhaps, you can look at your conversion as eventual evidence of the work of the Holy Spirit...which you received at your Confirmation. ;)
[right][snapback]768970[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I certainly consider that to be the case in my life. :)

To put a finer point and answer your question let's look at dogma

[quote] The Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Orders[1], when they are received validly but unworthily, revive after the removal of the moral indisposition, that is, the sacramental grace is conferred subsequently.[/quote]

Meaning that while you may not have been in the proper place in mind, heart and spirit when the sacrament occurred, if you came to the realization later that you fully wanted to embrace the Church, the sacrament is then valid.

So in other words, it may not have been valid when you received it, but you can accept it later and have it be valid. There is no need (and it would be wrong) to become confirmed again.

Its kind of like getting a credit card and then activating it later after you got it. Know what I mean?

[quote name='termitescoming4u!' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:02 AM']because you cannot receive the Holy Spirit twice [once you have received it, it stays with you]
[/quote]
"it"???

Dust's Sister

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 23 2005, 12:22 PM']I got confirmed when I was 14.  At the time I didn't quite believe in God.  I think I may have been an agnostic.  Now I do believe in God and all the teachings of His Church!

but is such a confirmation valid?
[right][snapback]768150[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was confirmed about 2 years ago, and I was closer to God then, but not nearly as close as I am now! I am going through RCIA and it's really making me close, and even though I got confirmed two years ago as a Catholic, I'm going to act as though I am a re-born Catholic, at least that's what it feels like. I never really understood the fullness of being Catholic untill now. :)

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:44 PM']How could the priest have right intent if he didn't believe in it? I've never understood the intent part. Why does there have to be intent? What exactly does that mean?
[right][snapback]769474[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Intent to do what the Church does, to do as the Church requires, that kind of thing.