An Old School Catholic Message Board

SMME

shortnun

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:54 AM']For Nicole: what order is that? The Carmelites?
[right][snapback]770908[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No it wasnt the Carmelites!!!! Lets all remember I grew Up knowing the Martyrs!!!!! I remember a fellow teacher asked a Martyr Sister if she would go to her wedding someday if she were toe ver get married, the Sisters said, Not unless its a catholic Wedding!!!! it has to be a catholic wedding for it to be 100% okay for a religious SIster to go!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:31 AM']No it wasnt  the Carmelites!!!! Lets all remember I grew Up knowing the Martyrs!!!!! I remember a fellow teacher asked a Martyr Sister if she would go to her wedding someday if she were toe ver get married, the Sisters said, Not unless its a catholic Wedding!!!! it has to be a catholic wedding for it to be 100% okay for a religious SIster to go!!!!!
[right][snapback]771018[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
When we were at their vocation retreat in 2004, they had a panel. It was quite possibly the longest q & a panel ever. One girl asked about weddings, and the Sisters said that they couldn't go to weddings (no exceptions--whether they are Catholic or not), but they could possibly go to a sibling's ordination. It would be interesting to see if my friend Alyssa will be able to go to her sister's first profession in Ann Arbor or if Sr. Ann-Marie could come down for Alyssa's. (probably not because of the dates because the SMME professions overlap the Martyrs' retreat)

We also found out that the Sisters can shave their legs, that they don't watch movies in movie theatres, that they can have any color towels and lots of things that are ultimately not important.

If you're going to ask Sr. Joseph Andrew, make sure your questions are appropriate. You may be curious, but it might be better to stay curious on certain things. The dowry/cost question is a good one. Home visits and weddings are good questions (but shouldn't make or break your decision). Don't ask the frivolous questions.

[quote name='alicemary' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:54 AM']In this day and age I think it should be up to the individual sister on whether she should attend a family wedding or not. And if you are entering a convent with the full knowledge of why you are entering, then attending a wedding should not be a temptation. If you can't make it through a mere wedding with doubts, then you probably are not mature enough to make the decision to enter the convent, and there is no insult intended here. Please understand that I am older, so see things differently.  :blink:  One does not leave ones families behind, they will always be an important part of your life. If a convent does not understand that, well, I would not consider them.
Only my ramblings!
alicemary
[right][snapback]770929[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Let me clarify; I could probably withstand the temptation of the pretty dress and dad giving me away. The problem is my mother. I love her to death, but I know what she would do to get me back once I enter the convent. She says she's supportive of my vocation, but she's given me every excuse as to why I shouldn't enter.

Maturity isn't the issue either. It was when I wanted to base my decision on the home visit factor. If one lives close to Alton (which I do) the home visit years are split up 5 days one year, 5 days the next, and then 4 days. I didn't realize until I met the community that I am called to join that home visits don't matter. My order doesn't have set home visits like other active orders because of the parent factor (I will be able to go home if somebody is seriosuly ill or dying). As I matured in my decision, I realized that this is my new family. I won't forget about my blood family, and I would love to go to my little sister's wedding if she wasn't religious (I think she might have a vocation, too, so this could be a moot point).

It should be a choice left up to one's Superiors. They are pretty good at looking at all the circumstances and choosing whether to offer it.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 26 2005, 02:08 PM']We also found out that the Sisters can shave their legs....

[right][snapback]771132[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh that's it. If I am a sister, I am not shaving my legs. Ankle length habits are good for hiding hairy legs. Think about the money the community could save not having to buy razors...... :topsy:

I had heard about the Martyr's guidelines for marriage, so I did want to know how (if at all) SMME differed. I may still bring that question forward to Sr JA for clarification. (And the dowry question too.)

In other news.......... did anyone who went on the retreat see the new Motherhouse? Is all the construction finally finished?

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 26 2005, 02:08 PM']If you're going to ask Sr. Joseph Andrew, make sure your questions are appropriate. You may be curious, but it might be better to stay curious on certain things. The dowry/cost question is a good one. Home visits and weddings are good questions (but shouldn't make or break your decision). Don't ask the frivolous questions.
[/quote]

i know someone who has sent e-mails asking questions to SJA. She did find out that the SMME's do shave their legs if they want. SJA doesn't answer too many questions though regarding stuff like that....you find out when you enter. She put it in a really great way. That woman is great with words. I wish I could find the exact quote, but i cannot.

not as elequent as i thought, but here it is:

"But by far more than 'what we do as Sisters' (which I'd say....'you have to enter to find out!' :) -- the important thing for you is that you open yourself to the beautiful person YOU are...the person God created you to be."

here are some questions answered by Sr. Mary Catherine from the Summit Dominicans

"Anyway, to answer the all important questions. Yes, in our community at least, sisters are permitted to shave their legs if they wish although I don't know anyone who does. I think one sister does. With long habits, tunicelles (under tunics), white stockings, why bother! I think more sisters do under the arms for hygiene reasons and as vestiarian I appreciate it. We wash our habits every other week and so some hairy Italians among us need to do this!

NO! We don't pluck our eyebrows! When I entered I was fascinated by one sister who seemed to have PERFECTLY arched eyebrows. I was sure she was plucking. NOPE! They just grow that way. Sisters with moustache problems are encouraged to take care of it although we don't allow waxing (that along with plucking eyebrows would be against poverty) so, sisters might pluck there or use an electric tweezer or something. Amazingly, there is a letter from Celine to Leonine, St. Therese's sisters on this! Celine wrote her sister when she was in the Visitation about an easier way to pluck the hairs out of her chin!"

[quote name='jezic' date='Oct 27 2005, 02:21 PM']why do they have a dowry?

It seems kind of strange to have to pay to enter a convent or an order ...
[right][snapback]772137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you leave, you need some money to get back home and buy some clothes. My dowry is $300. It's hardly anything, but it's returned to me if I decide to leave, and I guess it goes to the order when I make final vows.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 26 2005, 02:08 PM']When we were at their vocation retreat in 2004, they had a panel. It was quite possibly the longest q & a panel ever. One girl asked about weddings, and the Sisters said that they couldn't go to weddings (no exceptions--whether they are Catholic or not), but they could possibly go to a sibling's ordination. It would be interesting to see if my friend Alyssa will be able to go to her sister's first profession in Ann Arbor or if Sr. Ann-Marie could come down for Alyssa's. (probably not because of the dates because the SMME professions overlap the Martyrs' retreat)

We also found out that the Sisters can shave their legs, that they don't watch movies in movie theatres, that they can have any color towels and lots of things that are ultimately not important.
[/quote]

I was kinda confused on the first part, are you tlaking about the Martyr's or the SMME's???? And the shaving part was a really dumb questionj to ask, i had a girl in my class freshman yr and she wanted emt o ask that question and I said know becuase its kinda obveious that they do!!!!!! But when the girl asked Sr. M. Agnes that, the whole class was in Laughter!!!! And sister had a weird look on her face!!!!!

[quote name='shortnun' date='Oct 26 2005, 03:05 PM']Oh that's it. If I am a sister, I am not shaving my legs. Ankle length habits are good for hiding hairy legs. Think about the money the community could save not having to buy razors...... :topsy:
[right][snapback]771167[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll: OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!! That is sooo funny!!!!!! I hate not shaving my legs but man in the winter one could definately not shave!!!!! Adn now as i think of it, no one would ever know that you dont shave with the full habit and the stockings on, unless one wears a modified habit and then there is porblems!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Oct 27 2005, 03:43 PM']I was kinda confused on the first part, are you tlaking about the Martyr's or the SMME's???? And the shaving part was a really dumb questionj to ask, i had a girl in my class freshman yr and she wanted emt o ask that question and I said know becuase its kinda obveious that they do!!!!!! But when the girl asked Sr. M. Agnes that, the whole class was in Laughter!!!! And sister had a weird look on her face!!!!!
[right][snapback]772203[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Martyrs...

I've never been to Ann Arbor to meet the SMME.