photosynthesis Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 What kind of books have you been reading? Fiction? Non-fiction? Textbooks? Spiritual reading? What do you read for pleasure? What do you read for school, or for your career? What do you recommend? Post your picks, pans, reviews, rants, updates, etc here!
tojo Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 A book I heartily recommend is "By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Sacred Tradition" by Mark P. Shea. That book, more than any other book, influenced my decision to become Catholic.
sweetpea316 Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 I'm re-reading "The Chronicles of Narnia"... great stuff.
Tink Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [color=#ff0066]Well, I'm reading [b]Three To Get Married[/b] by Fulton Sheen. It's absolutely AMAZING, best contemporary book on love I've ever read! I'm also reading Lewis' [b]Great Divorce[/b] and [b]Till We Have Faces[/b]. [b]Orthodoxy[/b] (Chesterton) is another good one! All theological reads, of course. OHHHHH and for those discerning relationships or struggling with matters of the heart, read [b]When God Writes Your Love Story[/b]... it rocks![/color]
sweetpea316 Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Tink' date='Oct 25 2005, 03:49 PM']read [b]When God Writes Your Love Story[/b]... it rocks! [right][snapback]770202[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Who's this by? Sounds interesting...
photosynthesis Posted October 25, 2005 Author Posted October 25, 2005 these all sound like interesting books! these are some books I've read recently... - "Crossing the Threshold of Hope" by JP2 - "Microserfs" by Douglass Coupland - "In the Lake of the Woods" by Tim O'Brien - "The Global Village" by Marshall McLuhan - "Orality and Literacy" by Walter Ong Later on I found out that Ong and McLuhan were both Catholic. And Walter Ong was a priest! That was cool. Books I'm reading now: - textbooks for math, media ethics, journalism, and relational psychology. I can't say I'd recommend any of them because textbooks are boring, but "Lucky" by Alice Sebold is well-written, if you can stomach the graphic imagery. I haven't been able to stomach it. - "Treatise on True Devotion to Mary" by St. Louis de Montfort I Our Lady! These are books I've started, but have never finished: - "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis - "Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton - "Hail Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God" by Scott Hahn - "Imitation of Christ" by Thomas Kempis I start a lot of books and never finish them!!! hopefully when I graduate I can finish them. and there are lots of books I want to read...
Myles Domini Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 Restricting myself ONLY to books I've read LATELY: "Love alone is credible" by Hans Urs Von Balthasar Ignatius Press 4 Life
Dudette Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 The Bridge of San Luis Rey, yeah before that it was The Screwtape Letters. (These are all for school, btw. : )
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Tink' date='Oct 25 2005, 03:49 PM'][color=#ff0066][b]Till We Have Faces[/b][/color] [right][snapback]770202[/snapback][/right] [/quote] One of my all time favorite books. So beautifully written. One of my friends gave me a copy of Madeleine L'Engle's "A Ring of Endless Light" which I'm going to re-read. I loved that book as a child, but haven't read it for several years. I'm also currently reading "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," "Devil in the White City," and "Far from the Madding Crowd." I like to have a bunch of stuff in the works.
theculturewarrior Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 I don't read. Just Phatmass. I'm not a devoted graduate student. :
Era Might Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 I read "The Great Divorce" last year. I love that book. Wait till you get to the end. ...
the_rev Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 Animal Farm and Night are awesome books Christ is my Life is a great book too!
RootbeerDumdums Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 According to Amazon.com, the Authors of When God Writes Your Love Life are Eric and Leslie Ludy. Hope that helps. The book sounds interesting.
tojo Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='RootbeerDumdums' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:33 PM']According to Amazon.com, the Authors of When God Writes Your Love Life are Eric and Leslie Ludy. Hope that helps. The book sounds interesting. [right][snapback]770264[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Standard evangelical courtship movement book.
RootbeerDumdums Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 So you're saying you think it doesn't sound interesting? Meh. Ok.
tojo Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='RootbeerDumdums' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:41 PM']So you're saying you think it doesn't sound interesting? Meh. Ok. [right][snapback]770272[/snapback][/right] [/quote] No, I'm not. I haven't read it personally. I just know it is standard, it might be that it is because it's good...
RC_ Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='the_rev' date='Oct 25 2005, 04:27 PM']Animal Farm and Night are awesome books Christ is my Life is a great book too! [right][snapback]770257[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I loved Animal Farm...
Dudette Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='RC_' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:46 PM']I loved Animal Farm... [right][snapback]770279[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Animal Farm was good, the symbolism in it was quite interesting.
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='the_rev' date='Oct 25 2005, 04:27 PM']Animal Farm and Night are awesome books Christ is my Life is a great book too! [right][snapback]770257[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Night is very good. Sad, but good. One of the best books I've read in the past couple of years is [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0763617229/qid=1130277631/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-1153764-2339830?v=glance&s=books"]The Tale of Despereaux[/url]. It's a kid's book, but it's still an incredibly touching tale of forgiveness. I cried.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now