Era Might Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 Is that Night by Elie Wisel? If you like that, check out "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl. The latter half deals with his psychological philosophy, but the first half of the book is an amazing retelling of his experience in the holocaust.
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:04 PM']Is that Night by Elie Wisel? If you like that, check out "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl. The latter half deals with his psychological philosophy, but the first half of the book is an amazing retelling of his experience in the holocaust. [right][snapback]770325[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yep, and I have the Frankl book too. Haven't read it, but do own it. I think I even know where it is.
tojo Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:04 PM']Is that Night by Elie Wisel? If you like that, check out "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl. The latter half deals with his psychological philosophy, but the first half of the book is an amazing retelling of his experience in the holocaust. [right][snapback]770325[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ooh, I loved Night, I should check that out...
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 Anybody ever read Annie Dillard? I love love love "Holy the Firm" -- read it at least once a year. I also loved "The Writing Life" and "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and "Teaching a Stone to Talk." Also Madeleine L'Engle's Crosswicks Journals are FANTASTIC, particularly "Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage." I love meditative books like these ...
Lil Red Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 i'm in the middle of "swimming with scapulars"
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:20 PM']i'm in the middle of "swimming with scapulars" [right][snapback]770344[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ooo, that looks good! The Amazon review says it's Dave Eggers meets G.K. Chesterton -- I like both!
Lil Red Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 (edited) ugh my left hand is dumb Edited October 25, 2005 by Lil Red
Thumper Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:17 PM']Anybody ever read Annie Dillard? I love love love "Holy the Firm" -- read it at least once a year. I also loved "The Writing Life" and "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and "Teaching a Stone to Talk." Also Madeleine L'Engle's Crosswicks Journals are FANTASTIC, particularly "Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage." I love meditative books like these ... [right][snapback]770341[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I adore Madeleine L'Engle--everything from "A Wrinkle in Time" to Crosswicks. She has a lot of great insights and has taught me a lot. :
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='Thumper' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:29 PM']I adore Madeleine L'Engle--everything from "A Wrinkle in Time" to Crosswicks. She has a lot of great insights and has taught me a lot. : [right][snapback]770353[/snapback][/right] [/quote] How lovely! I've read most of her books multiple times.
philothea Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 Just my own novel. Over and over and over and over... (I do make changes on each read through.)
Sojourner Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:51 PM']Just my own novel. Over and over and over and over... (I do make changes on each read through.) [right][snapback]770379[/snapback][/right] [/quote] How do you know when to stop? I almost never read over something I've written after I'm done with it. You can keep revising and revising and revising ad nauseum ... and at some point it does become nauseating ...
Didacus Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 philothea, you're writting a book?! I've been tyring to write my own book for about 12 years now... my objective is to have it done before I turn 80! Writting is hard work. Books I've read lately: Brave New World Salt of The Earth - by the then Cardianl Ratzinger, now our beloved Papa!
cmotherofpirl Posted October 25, 2005 Posted October 25, 2005 I am currently reading various books of the [i]Dragonriders of Pern[/i] series by Anne MacCaffery.
Lounge Daddy Posted October 26, 2005 Posted October 26, 2005 [font="Courier"][b]Condi vs. Hillary : The Next Great Presidential Race[/b] [img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0060839139.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img] [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060839139/qid%3D1129044372/sr%3D2-1/ref%3Dpd%5Fbbs%5Fb%5F2%5F1/104-0804788-9767106?v=glance&s=books"]amazon.com LINK[/url] and yes i am drooling at the thought of a possible presidential run like this i know im a geek[/font]
megrc Posted October 26, 2005 Posted October 26, 2005 Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy!!!! My Favorite character is the Robot. He's a hoot.
Lounge Daddy Posted October 26, 2005 Posted October 26, 2005 [quote name='Didacus' date='Oct 25 2005, 07:12 PM']Salt of The Earth - by the then Cardianl Ratzinger, now our beloved Papa! [right][snapback]770391[/snapback][/right] [/quote] hmmm... i almost picked up a copy at work... i think i still will later this week... i just have a huge backlog of books i need to finish as it is i need to catch up
Old_Joe Posted October 26, 2005 Posted October 26, 2005 I just got done rereading the biography of my confirmation saint, Joseph of Cupertino. It never ceases to amaze me how much we have in common.
Tink Posted October 26, 2005 Posted October 26, 2005 [color=#ff0066]Ok yeah so Madeline L'engle rocks my socks, I'd read the entire [b]Wrinkle in Time[/b] series in about a month when I was in 8th grade. [b]When God Writes Your Love Story [/b]is definitely just really really good, it's not 'standard' at all. I know that from a Catholic teenage girl's perspective it is written perfectly and totally challenged me to purity and holiness. (Argh, one of my pet peeves is judging things you haven't experienced, lol sorry!) : [b]Imitation of Christ[/b] is my friend Aaron's favorite book, I should probably get started on that next! Also: -[b]Case For Christ, Case For a Creator, Case For Faith[/b]- Lee Strobel -[b]Nicomachean Ethics[/b]- Aristotle -[b]The Divine Comedy[/b]- Dante -[b]The Perks of Being A Wallflower[/b] (poor content, but very well written!) -[b]Flowers For Algernon/ Charlie[/b] -[b]The Little Prince[/b]- Antione de Saint-Exupery -[b]Prozac Nation[/b] -[b]Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [/b]series Oh yeah, and St. Joseph of Cupertino is SOOOOOO amazing!! I have a crazy insane devotion to him!![/color]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now