Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Goth-what is your concept of it?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

What is your concept of goth?

(Remember that English concept paper I was posting about...?)

Edited by Light and Truth
cmotherofpirl
Posted

Kids dressed all in black enjoying the stares and thinking they are unique. :)

Posted

alot of the time goths are either kids who are emotionally disturbed/upset or kids who just dress up to be 'different'.

Posted

I think of the goth kids on South Park.

conformist.

Posted

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:22 AM']I think of the goth kids on South Park.

conformist.
[right][snapback]772867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


:lol:

Yeah I think of teenagers who dress in all black or clothes from Hot Topic and think that they are the ones who are non conformists.

Posted

Creepy.

theculturewarrior
Posted

I think of the goths as an axe-wielding barbarian tribe from which the English language takes its roots. But I'm a history major. Maybe that's weird.

Posted

lol tcw, exactly what I was gonna say but you beat me to it.

Posted

Flying buttress, tall towers, and projecting pavilions ;)

Posted

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Oct 28 2005, 03:57 PM']I think of the goths as an axe-wielding barbarian tribe from which the English language takes its roots. But I'm a history major. Maybe that's weird.
[right][snapback]773049[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The English language comes from the Anglo-Saxons, not the Goths!
The Visigoths mostly wound up in Spain, and I forget where the Ostrogoths went. (I need to review my history!)

Posted (edited)

It's funny how the language works.
What originally was the name of a 4th Century Germanic barbarian tribe came to refer to a 12th Century style of architecture (by derisive 18th Century "classicists" who regarded it as "barbaric" or "gothic").
The word then came to refer to a 19th century style of literature (creepy tales often set in Gothic buildings), which then came to refer to a bunch of stupid kids trying to shock their elders and peers by dressing up halloween year round and pretending to be vampires.

Edited by Socrates
Posted

Hehe, a general stereotype I think of is kids dressing in black, listening to spooky music, oftentimes they have some mental disorders.

As an aside, here's a interesting Livejournal community for [url="http://www.livejournal.com/community/catholic_goths/"]Catholic Goths[/url].

I'm not knocking goths at all, hell, I may even be bit of a "closet goth" myself. :ninja:

Posted

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:26 PM']As an aside, here's a interesting Livejournal community for [url="http://www.livejournal.com/community/catholic_goths/"]Catholic Goths[/url].[right][snapback]773157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Note for younger readers: contains slightly crude joke.

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:26 PM']I'm not knocking goths at all, hell, I may even be bit of a "closet goth" myself.  :ninja:
[right][snapback]773157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I probably am too. :goodnight: :rip: :reaper: :saint:

Posted

Emo: An abbreviation for loser. Emo is the new goth, except goths are still around, so it's becoming almost unbearable.

Posted

[quote name='Fixxxer' date='Oct 28 2005, 09:01 PM']Emo: An abbreviation for loser. Emo is the new goth, except goths are still around, so it's becoming almost unbearable.
[right][snapback]773177[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So your concept of goths is that they are losers? Is what way?

Posted

I know it is stereotypical, but I can't help but think about the wicca "religion" (ugh) when I think of goths.

I think it is one of those things: Not all goths are wiccan, but most wiccans are goth....

:idontknow:

Posted

ooooo... I almost forgot, I also relate "goth" to the use (and more often abuse) of religious icons. In particular, I often see the "goth" kids wearing rosaries like necklaces.... ugh

photosynthesis
Posted

[quote name='Fixxxer' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:01 PM']Emo: An abbreviation for loser. Emo is the new goth, except goths are still around, so it's becoming almost unbearable.
[right][snapback]773177[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
While it is true that emo is for losers, it is not the new Goth.

Posted

Goths are some of the best people in the world. They were some of my best friends in high school... many actually were a part of our youth group at church... the ones that weren't are the ones that had sex on a weekly basis and constantly drank themselves into a drunken stuper... Everyone stereotyped the goths as being the weird kids, that you shouldn't hang out with, but really, I had a better influence with them as my friends then i did with non-goths. I advise anyone in high school to make friends with them, you'll probably be surprised just how cool they are.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Oct 28 2005, 10:38 PM']So your concept of goths is that they are losers?  Is what way?
[right][snapback]773213[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They are utterly wrapped up in themselves. They are too cool for ...practically everything....life smells of elderberries because it doesn't conform to their view of themselves as the most important in the whole world....

Normal teenage angst cranked up to 11 with dark brooding clothing to let everyone know just exactly how angst-ridden they are.

If they could only die drammatically of ennui, and have everyone know about it, they would feel utterly fulfilled.

Losers

(based on generic stereotypes, of course...but that's what we're talking about here, eh?)

Edited by Cow of Shame

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...