Fixxxer Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Oct 29 2005, 11:36 PM']I don't like that they play totally sucky music....some of the clothing is interesting. I go gift shopping for my sibling there [right][snapback]773817[/snapback][/right] [/quote] When i was looking for a pantera shirt it was like hidden under all those goth/emo band shirts. They are trying to keep the good stuff away
Tink Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 (edited) [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:44 AM']if people want to dress up in silly clothes and listen to sappy music, I don't think it's indicative of mental illness or social adjustment problems. Often it's just a sign of the identity confusion some adolescents go through. remember when you attack the lifestyle you attack the identity and the person behind the lifestyle, because to some people, that's all they think they are. [right][snapback]773844[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [color=#ff0066]Well, I think there remains a fine yet blurred line between goth and pseudo-goth. Dressing up in what you subjectively deem as silly clothes and listening to music that isn't of the cultural norm is not indicative of being goth. That's a misconception that the lumping into categories brings, which, no offense intended, is what you and so many others do. What IS indicative of the gothic culture is the social problems or emotional insecurity or identity confusion that you speak of. The despair and darkness and bleak outlook on life is what I believe the gothic culture entails, the outward appearances concerning clothing, taste in music, makeup, etc. are only physical manifestations of something much more intrinsic. I hope that makes sense and I'm not coming off as a witch or anything! I don't mean to step on any toes or make anyone cross with my words. [/color] Edited October 30, 2005 by Tink
cmotherofpirl Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 The bleak outlook is far more serious than the clothing style.
zabbazooey Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 When I speak of 'goths' i'm speaking of the ones I knew in high school........not of any of the good ones out there
ofpheritup Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 29 2005, 11:55 PM']lumping people into categories based on what they wear, where they shop and what music they listen to is something I'm trying to avoid. To be honest, it doesn't matter what you are, whether you're a goth, punk, hippie, stoner, lacrosstitute, whatever... it's just a transient identity people put on when they don't know who they are. [right][snapback]773830[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I agree. It is transitory. As a teenager or young person, fine do it. When you are 40 and you are "still doing it" then we need to talk. It is a way people choose to find themselves or express who they believe they are at a particular time in their lives. Much like the cashier at my local Barnes and Noble that had blue hair for awhile. When he asked me what I thought I told him he needed a lighter shade of blue. He changed it. Two years later, no blue hair. Life evolves, so do we. If it "fits" we keep it, if not we find something that does.
photosynthesis Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='ofpheritup' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:11 PM']When you are 40 and you are "still doing it" then we need to talk. [right][snapback]773972[/snapback][/right] [/quote] haha... sadly enough, there are people in their 40's who are still doing the Goth thing... and they look really silly too!
zabbazooey Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 I was in the punk phase for a while...short hair that was spiky in the back, blue hair, black and red hair, lots of black eyeliner, cut up silly clothing, going to shows all the time It was hard to keep up with OOh someday I'll have to post pictures of myself when I was 14 hahahaha I look back and go....oh my
Tink Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='zabbazooey' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:11 PM'] I was in the punk phase for a while...short hair that was spiky in the back, blue hair, black and red hair, lots of black eyeliner, cut up silly clothing, going to shows all the time It was hard to keep up with OOh someday I'll have to post pictures of myself when I was 14 hahahaha I look back and go....oh my [right][snapback]774035[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [color=#ff0066] *recalls white arm warmers and dog chains* *shudders* I have no idea HOW in the world I could act like that...looking back, it is SOO not me, all depressio and dark...[/color]
Anastasia13 Posted October 30, 2005 Author Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='zabbazooey' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:11 PM']I was in the punk phase for a while...short hair that was spiky in the back, blue hair, black and red hair, lots of black eyeliner, cut up silly clothing, going to shows all the time It was hard to keep up with [right][snapback]774035[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Why did you do it?
zabbazooey Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 I did it because I felt it really expresses who I was at the time. I was angry, but not sad, I didn't want to feel like the rest of the "sheep" at school, I really liked how controversial punk rock was. The music and clothing style really represented that time in my life: unique, angry, and didn't care what others thought.
Tink Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='Light and Truth' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:14 PM']Why did you do it? [right][snapback]774039[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [color=#ff0066]I know you weren't asking me, but personally I did it because I was suffering from clinical depression and certain symptoms of schizotypal disorder and I was drawn to the allure of the lifestyle. It had a lot to do with me getting into Wicca. I wanted to stand apart and be 'myself', though the illusion of who I was was a total lie.[/color]
zabbazooey Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 (edited) I don't agree with any of the views I once held, but I can respect someone that is goth, punk or whatever because they feel a certain way and it expresses themselves and really who they are, not if they just do it to look older or fit in. I don't agree with that logic. Edited October 30, 2005 by zabbazooey
photosynthesis Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 while some people who call themselves "punk" or "goth" are suffering from certain mental illnesses, I would not go as far as to suggest that there is a direct correlation. also, not all depression is clinical. Some people have reasons to be depressed.
Anastasia13 Posted October 30, 2005 Author Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='Tink' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:23 PM'][color=#ff0066]I know you weren't asking me, but personally I did it because I was suffering from clinical depression and certain symptoms of schizotypal disorder and I was drawn to the allure of the lifestyle. It had a lot to do with me getting into Wicca. I wanted to stand apart and be 'myself', though the illusion of who I was was a total lie.[/color] [right][snapback]774050[/snapback][/right] [/quote] What is a schizotypal disorder?
Tink Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='Light and Truth' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:44 PM']What is a schizotypal disorder? [right][snapback]774073[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [color=#ff0066] it's a mild form of schizophrenia. Symptoms include odd perceptions, belief that one possesses magic powers or can control people and things with one's mind, extreme sensitivity to and interest in the paranormal and accompanying phenomena, have social anxiety, extreme paranoia, difficulty in deep relationships or friendships,etc. Schizotypals often have vague, circumstantial, metaphorical thinking manifested in odd speech without gross incoherence. My mom is severely schizophrenic, so there's a chance I could have it too. Fortunately, a lot of the symptoms went away or were lessened after my conversion to Christ.[/color]
Anastasia13 Posted October 30, 2005 Author Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='zabbazooey' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:23 PM']I don't agree with any of the views I once held, but I can respect someone that is goth, punk or whatever because they feel a certain way and it expresses themselves and really who they are, not if they just do it to look older or fit in. I don't agree with that logic. [right][snapback]774052[/snapback][/right] [/quote] What exactly is wrong with the logic?
zabbazooey Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 I just don't feel that that lifestyle represents me
Zoecool13 Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:35 PM']while some people who call themselves "punk" or "goth" are suffering from certain mental illnesses, I would not go as far as to suggest that there is a direct correlation. also, not all depression is clinical. Some people have reasons to be depressed. [right][snapback]774064[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I think this is very far-reaching... "Goth" is a lifestyle that is actually very good for someone in my opinion... It shows individuality, and you gain confidence in yourself. Like I said before, the "goths" at my high school when I was there were some of my best friends, and that was because they knew you they really were, and weren't afraid to show it. Personally, i think the Preppies were the ones that suffered from certain mental illnesses, however, any group of people will always have people that have illnesses... including our group of Catholics, and Christians. From what I've read on this thread, most of you are knocking the goths... but really, don't you all find it more disturbing for someone to go out and spend $70 on one pair of Tommy Hillfiger jeans? When I went to High School, the goths would accept you in their group of friends no matter what, they saw people as people... it was the "popular Preppy" People that was judgemental, and wouldn't talk to you, unless you looked like a walking billboard for Abercrombie, hillfiger, Express, Gap, etc... These are the type of people that really disturb me.
zabbazooey Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 (edited) some goths can do the same thing. Hot Topic is a popular place for some to go and they sell pants for around $50. I know a lot go to thrift stores and make their own clothes, but you can't completely rule that out either. Edited October 30, 2005 by zabbazooey
Dreamweaver Posted October 30, 2005 Posted October 30, 2005 I wouldn't say that its correct to say that all goths have a mental disorder and that one needs to have serious mental issues to be one. Sure, there are many with problems to deal with, but it isn't isolated among just one group of people. I think perhaps that goths are more aware of the darker things in life and don't try to "sweep it under the rug". Sometimes a few will glamorize the dark stuff in excess, such as getting involved in the occult, vampires, and other such stuff.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now